Author Topic: Ecowitt questions  (Read 521 times)

Offline ukwoody

• Contributor
Ecowitt questions
« on: September 10, 2019, 08:10:32 AM »
Hi all, about to pull the plug andfgo for an ecowitt. I have a couple of questions though.
1) the ws68.  Although it reports every 16 secs I assume it measures by the second and averages out the speed.  And I also presume it still catches the strongest gust during that period which is what it actually reports.
3) Is the 2551-c worth it over the standard 3550 console?  (Im thinking of getting the 3501 station and upgrading to 2551c)
ps will be getting the gw1000 as well

many thanks
mark
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 08:13:22 AM by ukwoody »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Ecowitt questions
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 08:34:24 AM »
The sensors actually send data to the console every 14 seconds. The console updates every 16 seconds. During those 14 seconds the sensors are continuously monitoring and storing max wind and rain and temperature...etc. So you don't miss data because of 14 second updates to the console. You could say that compared to a Davis it doesn't have as many data points though.

The HP2551 display's advantage is that all of the live data visible without need to press any buttons. You see rain rate, daily rain, event rain, monthly rain, yearly rain. The same applies temperature, daily high/low, feels like, dew point. Same thing with wind data. With the WH3550 there is less data visible and you have to press buttons to see more. But the WH3550 does have the advantage of the little graph. But it is a graph for only one sensor at a time. Again you have to press the graph button to scroll through the graphs. But the HP2551 also has all the graphs...they are full screen graphs and you scroll through each one individually. For me the HP2551/WS-2000 display is worth it because I never have to press buttons unless I want to see the graphs or tables (yes it also has data tables). There are more differences but those are the biggest differences between the actual display and how you interact with them. I came from the WS-2902A and I just found it so annoying to always have to press buttons on it. When I upgraded to the WS-2000 (same as HP2551) I was very relieved. The one disadvantage to showing all the data without requiring button presses is that every number has to be made smaller in order to fit so much information on the screen, so you have to come closer to see things from across the room.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 08:37:27 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline ukwoody

• Contributor
Re: Ecowitt questions
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 08:43:19 AM »
Brilliant in depth response. Cheers galfert! [tup]