Author Topic: Fall/Winter '18/'19  (Read 35009 times)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Fall/Winter '18/'19
« Reply #401 on: January 30, 2019, 02:53:15 PM »
  Emily, one of the young TV meteorologists for KFOR-4 Oklahoma City, who grew up in Chicago, said she can't imagine how cold the weather feels like there, though her parents said it got that cold when she was a baby.

Everyone remembers the windchill readings of -60 below and just can't get over it. Its engrained in everyone's memory how cold it was way back when and most have no clue they changed the bogus WC formula 19 years ago.

Same here in Valentine when I hear these ridiculous numbers being thrown around.  Our actual coldest thermometer reading ever wasn't back at the beginning of the industrial age it was in 1989 -39°.

-60 was a common number years ago. 
 old      -21  with 15 mph wind= -60 not uncommon to get this every winter upper regions of USA
New     -21  with 45 mph wind= -60 this is now unusual to have winds this strong when it's -21

Randy

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #402 on: January 30, 2019, 03:42:23 PM »
It's only a freakin' 54deg F here now, SE wind 8-15mph, windchill ~47deg F. BRRRR... Low overnight was a frigid 40deg F.

But it'll be back to 75-78 by Friday-Tue, 80's next week?

Not to make light of that terrible weather up there that so many are suffering from.
Y'all keep in mind that even more places on Earth are experiencing much warmer than normal conditions, like Australia, the US West Coast, even down here in S TX.

[I think the coldest I ever experienced was ~ -20-25 while hunting near Ann Arbor, MI many decades ago. That was cold, was working deep nights in downtown AA and my truck's tires would be flatspotted in the mornings (~ -10-15F).]

A prominent scientist, Jennifer Francis*, explains some of it all here, in a few articles:
https://theconversation.com/profiles/jennifer-francis-154314/articles

The most recent one, in a very good, readable layman's description, with excellent graphics:
https://theconversation.com/how-frigid-polar-vortex-blasts-are-connected-to-global-warming-110653

* "Jennifer Francis is a Senior Scientist at the Woods Hole Research Center and a Visiting Professor in the Department of Marine and Coastal Sciences at Rutgers University."

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #403 on: January 30, 2019, 04:37:50 PM »
Well, I could tell the tale of straddling the top of an F-106 changing an antenna on a flight line in January during an ORI.  But I froze too many brain cells to remember much of it.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #404 on: January 30, 2019, 05:09:58 PM »
Not to make light of that terrible weather up there that so many are suffering from.
Y'all keep in mind that even more places on Earth are experiencing much warmer than normal conditions, like Australia, the US West Coast, even down here in S TX.

Don't even play those cards because my hand will beat it.

2018:
Jan 1-low of -13 wind chill around -25F
April 16--  +20 inches of snow in a snow storm. MSP closed for 4 hours. MSP!
May 30--  102F

Along with high humidity and skin draining dryness.

This week will go from feeling -54 to a high of 40 to another predicted low of -20.....in 7 days.

I win. I hate it when people with two seasons complain. We can have more that 4

Any time you want to move, I am sure the state of Minnesota will take your tax money.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 05:49:37 PM by chief-david »

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
« Reply #405 on: January 31, 2019, 08:20:51 AM »
Very cold morning again at -47, but the forecast is for highs of 16 and 26 ABOVE on Friday and Saturday. The RainWise MK111-LR temp/humidity sensor operates to -67. My other station, a WS-2000, stopped at -40.  Other PWS stations in the area showing on my WU forecast page also show -40 because of sensor limits.  Bill

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #406 on: January 31, 2019, 10:08:20 AM »

Don't even play those cards because my hand will beat it.
[No doubt, as far as extremes go. :-) ]

2018:
Jan 1-low of -13 wind chill around -25F
April 16--  +20 inches of snow in a snow storm. MSP closed for 4 hours. MSP!
[A very rare dusting of snow or sleet around here will lock everything up for the day... :lol:]

May 30--  102F
[Once saw an extended 104F+ period in February. My kids step-FiL had come down from near your frozen tundraland for our main Stockshow week to see them exhibit their animals. Poor guy nearly croaked from the heat and humidity of an early season Valley heatwave. When he first got off the plane from subzero country and stepped out of the aircraft into 100F+ and humidity ~85%, he looked shocked. :shock: (back then one just walked down a stairway from the plane, no jetways at HRL)  ]

Along with high humidity and skin draining dryness.

This week will go from feeling -54 to a high of 40 to another predicted low of -20.....in 7 days.

I win. I hate it when people with two seasons complain. We can have more that 4
[ heheh   :twisted: ]

Any time you want to move, I am sure the state of Minnesota will take your tax money.
[Nooo thanks, had a chance to pick a MN location early in my career. Company offered me a choice of ~20 nationwide locations as a PCS destination. Some were in MN-WI-etc, some were CA-FL-etc. I did extensive due diligence on all of them and made the right, warm (very hot sometimes, mostly warm all year), choice. Good move, co. paid all expenses, pre-visits, etc.. The co. RE division even made an acceptable offer on my old house, so I just signed a few papers and made a profit with no 'home sale' hassles at all.

Y'all can have that 'winter' stuff. It's about 55F outside right now, high of ~65F expected (it's cloudy), 70-80's by weekend-next Tuesday.
Last year, 2018, was actually a fairly 'average' year, only a couple of high 90-100F periods, generally mild cooler times, and no hurricanes, Harvey in 2017 was more than enough for a while, thkuvrymuch. Going to check the local (EWX-CRP-BRO) 2018 NOAA climatological stuff one of these days.]

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #407 on: January 31, 2019, 04:27:47 PM »
Interesting how this polar vortex is moving more east than straight south, so Florida is not going to have to worry about any freeze warnings.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #408 on: January 31, 2019, 04:51:43 PM »
I'd say the ridge over the Caribbean is too strong to allow a further southward push of the jet. Hooray for the oranges. =D>
https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=global-equatorial-09-48-1-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=data

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #409 on: January 31, 2019, 08:22:42 PM »
Interesting how this polar vortex is moving more east than straight south, so Florida is not going to have to worry about any freeze warnings.
Did hit 32 this morning for a brief moment then the clouds moved in and it rose to 36. First time this winter I have hit freezing.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #410 on: January 31, 2019, 08:31:23 PM »
Did hit 32 this morning for a brief moment then the clouds moved in and it rose to 36. First time this winter I have hit freezing.

Sure they had the big fans mixing the air in the orchards,  or do they have new ways nowadays? 
Randy

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #411 on: February 01, 2019, 03:15:38 PM »
The heck with all the cold talk. Spring is on the way.
The tree's are starting to flower down here and we hit 70 today!

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #412 on: February 01, 2019, 03:49:11 PM »
Morning low 15; current temperature 61. 46 degree range.

Beautiful day.

Offline zakuthesilverwolf

• The Silver Huntsman
« Reply #413 on: February 01, 2019, 09:22:20 PM »
Current Conditions
C: 43
H: 49
L:40
Conditions
Cloudy Currently
Been Rainy and Foggy throughout the day though still been a pleasant day over all
Follow the Wind it will take you where you want to go

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #414 on: February 02, 2019, 06:39:10 PM »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #415 on: February 02, 2019, 06:45:44 PM »
Felt like 36 today

Felt like -53 Tuesday night.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #416 on: February 02, 2019, 08:14:38 PM »
3 day graph

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #417 on: February 03, 2019, 07:54:52 AM »
Dam, DP's at -30. Does your skin just dry up and fall off. :shock:

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #418 on: February 03, 2019, 08:11:56 AM »
Dam, DP's at -30. Does your skin just dry up and fall off. :shock:

Yeah, but it's a dry cold.....  :lol:
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #419 on: February 03, 2019, 09:12:21 AM »
Humidifier comes in handy during the cold months. Keeps you from getting a static shock every time you touch something. One of those big units that hold 3 gallons of water or so and fill every 3rd day running at 30% humidity setting. Move it much higher the outside windows are fogging up.
Randy

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #420 on: February 03, 2019, 09:28:52 AM »
I have a humidifier on the furnace. It works pretty well.  Makes it feel much warmer. With that, it also helps to have an air exchanger so it does not build up too much.

Snow possible tonight. Very foggy.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #421 on: February 03, 2019, 04:00:11 PM »
I keep a big pot of water on top of the wood stove.  Steams the room and makes a quick mug of coffee or hot chocolate.

Rivers are just below flood stage and beginning to fall.  Ground is still very wet, but mud is just beginning to be manageable.   So of course, now they show possibly heavy rain again this week.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #422 on: February 03, 2019, 08:12:45 PM »
Three 60+ degree days in a row, 2 with dense morning fog.

Today was the end of the warm weather

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #423 on: February 04, 2019, 06:12:58 AM »
Got a string of Spring ahead, punctuated by a day or two of 'not Spring'.  Temperatures will be nice, but we don't need the potentially flooding rains.  Wish I could bank some of this for July.

I believe we've turned the corner though.  We can get a few cold days and we've had big snows in March, but they don't last more than a couple of days before it all melts.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #424 on: February 06, 2019, 03:55:52 AM »
I get the whole bit about frontal passages and all, but it still strikes me as odd that it's 20 degrees warmer at 2AM this morning than it was at 2PM yesterday afternoon.

anything