Author Topic: Mounting Wireless VP Station on Chimney?  (Read 4908 times)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Mounting Wireless VP Station on Chimney?
« on: December 15, 2008, 02:18:34 PM »
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I'm looking for  comments on installing my new VP  system off a brick chimney (wood burning FP).  I was planning on offsetting the mast  towards the windward side to avoid smoke issues etc.  Any thoughts/suggestions welcome.

Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
Re: Mounting Wireless VP Station on Chimney?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 02:26:22 PM »
I might put he anemometer up there but the rest I would mount on a post in the back yard even if I had to buy an extension cable for the anemometer. My self I bought the separate transmitter for the anemometer, it made life a lot easier. 
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 02:38:52 PM »
It would probably be ok but I would add an extension pole to put it up higher than the chimney to catch the best wind and off-set to avoid any issues with hot flue gasses. The rest of the ISS should not be put up there because of radiant heat from the roof distorting readings and other issues. I agree with mmoris...to make it easier, rather than run the cable all the way to the ISS, I would buy the anemometer transmitter. That way the ISS (rain bucket, temp\humidity sensor etc) could be located at ground level for better servicing which could be too far or difficult to run the anemometer cable to.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 02:44:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies folks!  Unfortunately ( or fortunately I guess) the backyard is forested.  CFO would take a dim view of me clear cutting the backyard.  :)   There's really no place other than the roof for the station.  The front yard is water.  :)

If anyone has any photos of chimney mounts I'd love to see them.  And any places to buy an offset mast would be great as well, or I guess I could just bend up some EMT tubing.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

jwyman

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 02:48:36 PM »
I personally  would stay far away from the chimmney due to the obvious effets of heat but alos the chemical aspect of soot and other chemicals that may burn and affect the sensors and finish of the units...

I have some photos posted of my setup on the roof using a tripod on the opposite end of the house...

http://www.espwxctr.com/Weather%20Album/index.html

Go under equipment and you will see sme photos there of the tripod and equipment.

Jim

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 03:35:42 PM »
Get your self a tripod mount and place the station somewhere else besides the chimney.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 03:44:57 PM »
Then by all means, mount it up on the roof, but as mentioned, stay away from the chimney.

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 12:00:22 AM »
One time we repoed a Directv dish from the roof of a home that was burning coal for heat.  Talk about soot an corrosion.   #-o
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline JOE

• Forecaster
    • Centralia IL Weather
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 12:39:43 AM »
I don't have a decent place in the yard for mine, so put everything on tripod on roof.

Local Radio Shack had one in stock for less than $40.

I know it's not ideal location for the sensors, but I don't have much choice in my yard.
Joe
www.centraliaweather.com
DW1376
KILCENTR2
K9RJN

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 01:08:59 AM »
Cool.  $40 bucks plus post sounds like it might just work.  I have a metal roof so some judicious planning is needed.

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 07:24:22 AM »
Judicious planning as in what? Mounting it there or getting up there without sliding off?  ;)

Bob

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 08:17:03 AM »
Two warnings about a metal roof. Don't sit down, and never pick you feet up.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 08:56:09 AM »
Bob, mounting things to a metal roof will take some planning to make sure the integrity of the roof is not compromised plus I need to (eventually) run power to a rain heater.  Plus I'm expecting some problems with RF transmission.  And yeah Tony, I know all about roof safety.  :)

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 10:40:02 AM »
Bushman,
I echo what others have said about keeping it as far away from the chimney as possible.  In my former life I was a volunteer fire chief and responded mostly to chimney fires.  One good chimney fire would create a whole new conversation with your CFO #-o.   Here is a page that shows my installation.  You may be able to get some ideas with this: http://www.skunkbayweather.com/DualTempSensors/ .  The masts came from Radio shack.  They make an offset mount that you can attach to the side of the house that works quite well.  I used those on 3 installations at our stores.  You can see it at the bottom of this page: http://www.centralmarketweather.com/Poulsbo/

Hope this helps,
Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 10:49:47 AM »
Mine is mounted to a metal roof using a tripod. Not a problem at all. Just use the feet pads that come with the tripod and a little roofing tar and lag bolt that puppy down. My install has been up there for almost 5 years without a single issue mount wise. It is as rock solid as the day I bolted it down and not a drop of water to be seen inside.

Bob

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 11:10:39 AM »
Thanks so much for the pix Greg!  Especially since you have a waterfront place like I do. I intend to capture the water temp using a  remote sensor mounted tot the dock.  You have given me some great ideas!  Bob, thanks for the input on the metal roof.  I think I will have to see if the existing  mounting screws will be useable on the pads (at least some of them).

Offline Kart Racer

• Kart Track Weather Site
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 11:51:20 AM »
I made a bracket out of aluminum and mounted my anemometer on the 8" flue pipe from the furnace, 5' above top of the house. May not be the best but it is all I could do without making possible roof problems. I used 2" pvc electrical conduit so it was not so much of a lightning rod. I then mounted the station on a custom mount offset from the eve of the house. It is also on 5' of 2" pvc conduit even though it is not at a high point. It seems to be working very well however I will probably change it to the yard when I can purchase the remote for the anemometer.
Kart Racer

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 01:13:32 PM »
Bushman,
Here is the bracket that I used at the stores: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062036

On another note, it is true that I basically have a 30 foot lightning rod with an anemometer attached to the top.  I don't think that I would recommend this type of installation in an area prone to lightning.  We have very little, so it is a calculated risk.  I have attached a ground wire to it.  There is also about a 120' tall cedar tree just to the east of my installation, so it is not the highest point, but it is still probably the most tempting for lightning :???:

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline bishopweather

• Bishopweather.com
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 09:01:33 PM »
Bushman,
Here's some pics(below) of what I did.  It's not a masonry chimney, but you could do something similar.  I used 2"dia. fence post with two fence post connectors, PGT-pipe grip ties from Simpson Strongtie.  Instead of lags as I used, you could use epoxy bolts or expansion(wedge) bolts.  I made the fence post long enough to extend above the flue about a foot.  We never use this fireplace so heat/smoke wasn't a concern.  I also used the optional anemometer transmitter as the rain gauge/sensors are mounted elsewhere in the backyard.  Good luck!
pic1
pic2
Bishopweather.com
Davis Vantage Pro2 weather station
Stardot Netcam XL3mp
Weatherlink IP