Author Topic: WeatherlinkIP firmware update: 1.06  (Read 9283 times)

Offline jmyg

WeatherlinkIP firmware update: 1.06
« on: December 15, 2008, 04:01:24 AM »

The 1.06 is out on davis' site: http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/download/WeatherLinkIP_firmware_v106.exe

By the way, a friend of mine just received a cabled console with a 1.80 firmware (current on the site is 1.75a). So stay tuned   ;)

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
Re: WeatherlinkIP firmware update: 1.06
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 10:18:12 PM »
Just checked the website, absolutely dissappointing :-x  All they addressed is problems encountered using a slower satellite internet connection.  I've been bugging Davis technical division relentlessly about shortcomings, I just received this response:

Weatherlink IP cannot do the rapid fire and most likely will not because of limits to the firmware of the device so we setup a 15 minute update from the weatherlink server to underground direct.
We update your web page on the weatherlink server every 1 minute.
Also because of issues with wind gust and rate rate the engineers and underground staff have not yet got those features working. No time frame has been given.
Also right now the content you see at www.weathelrink.com/user/demo is what we will show. Maybe in the future more data will be shown in the summary screen where we do show UV and Solar and rain

Offline jmyg

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 04:48:16 AM »
Sad indeed... I'm wondering whether a NSLU would have been a better solution  :sad:

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 05:05:32 PM »
That's what I'm leaning towards.  Ridiculous how long WLIP has been out and they can't get it to do what it should.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 01:11:38 PM »
I did a work around... I run Weatherlink 5.8.2  at the same time.. it polls the IP logger  and the weather underground can be set to use the live steaming.. I also get other graphs and data as well.  so far it works fine for me.  I can embed the IP site on my web site, I can also upload the graphs and things weatherlink uploads.   

Offline Kart Racer

• Kart Track Weather Site
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 02:50:29 PM »
Can you elaborate on what you are doing. I installed WLIP and it is running and reporting everything I expected. I also loaded Weatherlink 5.8.2 but I selected WEB upload. Do I run it twice or change the web update to ip. Does the upload need to be set to web to get the current info to davis etc. I am completely lost here. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Kart Racer

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 03:00:54 PM »
sure, I have both the weatherlink IP sending data.. that sends it to weather underground every 15 min or as the crow flies
I have weatherlink software, that disk that came with the package?  I have that also running in the background.  I went to the weather underground site and downloaded their module, put it into the expansion module folder in weatherlink and then went to file, manage modules and enabled it. then exited and restarted weatherlink.   followed Weather Undergrounds advice.  Then there is an item on the file.. to adjust and I put in my weatherlink ID as well as password and set the interval and we are going.  I have about every two min right now.

The difference is that Weatherlink software will send all the parameters to weather underground including solar, uv and rain.. and if the software isn't running then data is still going out with the IP, but on the 15 min update and minus some parameters

here is their site for how to load this  http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_Rapid_Fire_Setup

Offline Kart Racer

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 08:30:48 PM »
I do not see this folder in weatherlink. Am I missing something?
put it into the expansion module folder in weatherlink

Also I am assuming that WLIP will update to Davis regardless what the setting is in weatherlink5.8.2 is this correct. If so then what you are saying is that WLIP is stand alone and weatherlink 5.8.2 is running complete different set of data to W/U etc.
Thanks for your help.!!!
Kart Racer

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 08:40:37 PM »
put it into your weatherlink folder.. do you have under file in weatherlink toward the bottom something called manage modules?

where ever this is .. put the item in that

Download the expansion module here. Save the WuiWlink_1.dll file to your Weather Link Expansion Modules directory:

* The Expansion Modules directory is usually in "C:\WeatherLink\Expansion_Modules".
    * That is... the file needs to go into a directory named "Expansion_Modules" within the Weather Link installation directory. You may have create the "Expansion_Modules" directory if it isn't already there.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 08:59:54 PM by Aardvark »

Offline Kart Racer

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 09:07:11 PM »
Ok I put it in the WL folder and restarted WL5.8.2. Then went to file and clicked on manage modules and nothing happened. Should I create a new folder Expansion_Modules and put it there.?
Kart Racer

Offline Kart Racer

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 09:15:15 PM »
Ok I created the folder and added the download. selected the module and tried to enable . The module has a x in the box. I closed WL 5.8.2 and reopened exp. mod. mgmt. clicked on enable but again nothing happened. We are making progress!!!
Kart Racer

Offline Kart Racer

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 10:41:20 PM »
Aardvark, Can't thank you enough, everything seems to be working great. Funny how Davis says this won't work? Any way thanks again!!
Have a Merry Christmas!!!
Kart Racer

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 12:59:53 AM »
what operating system are you using?  I have vista.
I found that I had to find the weatherlink .. underground dll, right mouse button then remove all  properties  ... details,  remove all personal properties and it seemed to work for some odd reason.

Offline Kart Racer

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 11:48:56 AM »
I am running XP Pro on an old machine that I use for Home automation and Weather. The documentation on WL 5.8.2 or any version I guess is very sparse. Without the help of people like yourself us computer novices would be sunk. I know a bit about pc but when it comes to WAN network I am very green. There was no reference to the folder you mentioned but when I created it everything fell into place. The only mention I ever found was in the read me file for 5.8.2 which stated "if present" which tells me that some have it and some do not. I also notice that there may be other ad on modules  and wonder if there are not some other cool stuff out there.
Thanks again for your help. My W/U call letters are KMOLIBER7. Everything seems to be logging correctly and wind gust are now reporting. Now alll I have to do is run cat 5 and power to the location I want to put the console.
Kart Racer

Offline Prius

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 07:46:29 AM »
on another forum, i posted what I thought I could do with weatherlinkIP.

Upload to Wunderground.com by using the module as listed on their website at the 5 minute interval.
Upload to Weatherlink.com which would update every minute.
Use RapidFire at the 2.5 second interval as listed in the WeatherlinkIP software.

I could not do this all with the 1.05 firmware, and still cannot do it with the 1.06 firmware.  If I turn off RapidFire, weatherlink.com will update.  If I turn RapidFire on, weatherlink will only update once at 2am every morning. ( i am turning rapidfire on and off within the weatherlinkIP software).

From what I have read and been emailed on, the problem is mainly within the Rapidfire feature of weatherlinkIP.

Steve

Offline Kart Racer

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 02:03:30 PM »
Aardvark
I did everything you told me to do and everything seems to work. W/U ,CWOP and Weatherlink on my PC all get the updates as set up. However I am getting  a bunch of LOG errors as if the WLIP or WL software is trying to send extra data and having problems. I added copy of log if you can help. Or maybe someone else out there has had similar experience.

12/23/08 12:08p Downloaded Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo ok.
     12/23/08 12:07p (Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo) CRC error detected in loop packet.  Data ignored.
     12/23/08 12:07p (Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo) GetAcknowledge () response: 0x0A (should be 0x06 <ACK>)
     12/23/08 11:08a Downloaded Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo ok.
     12/23/08 10:08a Downloaded Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo ok.
     12/23/08  9:08a Downloaded Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo ok.
     12/23/08  8:08a Downloaded Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo ok.
     12/23/08  8:07a (Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo) We did not receive an acknowledge to our last command.  Please try again.
     12/23/08  8:07a (Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo) GetAcknowledge () response: 0x0A (should be 0x06 <ACK>)
     12/23/08  7:08a Downloaded Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo ok.
     12/23/08  7:04a (Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo) Function to retrieve data through TCP/IP protocol from the device timed out.
     12/23/08  6:08a Downloaded Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo ok.
     12/23/08  5:08a Downloaded Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo ok.
     12/23/08  4:27a (Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo) Function to retrieve data through TCP/IP protocol from the device timed out.
     12/23/08  4:25a (Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo) Function to retrieve data through TCP/IP protocol from the device timed out.
     12/23/08  4:23a (Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo) Function to retrieve data through TCP/IP protocol from the device timed out.
     12/23/08  4:21a (Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo) Function to retrieve data through TCP/IP protocol from the device timed out.
     12/23/08  4:19a (Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo) Function to retrieve data through TCP/IP protocol from the device timed out.
     12/23/08  4:17a (Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo) Function to retrieve data through TCP/IP protocol from the device timed out.
     12/23/08  4:15a (Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo) Function to retrieve data through TCP/IP protocol from the device timed out.
     12/23/08  4:13a (Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo) Function to retrieve data through TCP/IP protocol from the device timed out.
     12/23/08  4:12a (Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo) Function to retrieve data through TCP/IP protocol from the device timed out.
     12/23/08  4:10a (Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo) Function to retrieve data through TCP/IP protocol from the device timed out.
     12/23/08  4:08a Download of Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo was canceled.
     12/23/08  4:08a (Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo) Function to retrieve data through TCP/IP protocol from the device timed out.
     12/23/08  4:07a (Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo) Function to retrieve data through TCP/IP protocol from the device timed out.
     12/23/08  3:08a Downloaded Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo ok.
     12/23/08  2:08a Downloaded Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo ok.
     12/23/08  1:59a (Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo) We did not receive an acknowledge to our last command.  Please try again.
     12/23/08  1:59a (Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo) GetAcknowledge () response: 0x0A (should be 0x06 <ACK>)
     12/23/08  1:08a Downloaded Meadow Lakes Estates ~ Liberty Mo ok.
    [/list]
    Kart Racer

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
    « Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 03:54:59 PM »
    Wow.  I think I'll just be getting the regular Weatherlink data logger after all.  Then eventually get one of the mini computers to leave on 24/7 for uploads.  It's been a year since I've had my weather station and a year to consider the options.  I'm glad I didn't jump the gun on the WLIP.  Good luck racer!

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
    • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
      • http://www.weatherforyou.com
    « Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 04:49:07 PM »
    There are a couple of other stand-alone devices that operates similar to WeatherLinkIP except have more features (like being able to send data to PWSweather.com/weatherforyou.com ;) )...

- HauteWind - http://www.hautespot.net/products/es.html
    - Meteohub - http://www.meteohub.de
    Joe Torsitano

Offline Kart Racer

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 04:57:21 PM »
    Hi Sigdigit
    The odd part is that everything is getting where it belongs. It looks to me like there are multiple data packs trying to be sent that are not being used by anything. I wonder if creating the expansion module folder is part of the issue. Maybe some other files need to be moved to that folder or maybe the update to 5.8.2 is part of the issue. I still have the 5.8.1 exe in the file list. Whatever, it is out of my area of expertise. I called support and they want me to try a new cat 5 run to see if that is the problem and I will. The regular upload at 8 minutes after the top of the hour is always OK and that is the scheduled upload. Also the 5 min upload to WLIP is done without a problem and NOAA says that they are getting correct pkts. I am sure it is a simple problem to someone out there.
    Kart Racer

Offline WB5CCO

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 05:56:06 PM »
    I too have become frustrated with WeatherlinkIP, esp. not being able to run communicate with VWS.  I recently ordered the usb version of Weather Envoy for the Vantage Pro 2.   ](*,)
    Richard
    WB5CCO
    Davis Vantage Pro 2 6163
    KLABUSH5

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
      • turned off
    « Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 07:16:46 PM »
    Wow.  I think I'll just be getting the regular Weatherlink data logger after all.  Then eventually get one of the mini computers to leave on 24/7 for uploads.  It's been a year since I've had my weather station and a year to consider the options.  I'm glad I didn't jump the gun on the WLIP.  Good luck racer!

if you do , go with serial

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
    « Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 09:28:42 PM »
    I still have a serial port on my trusty old Dell, and when I finally upgrade, I'll be sure to get a serial card.  And Joe, I'm leaning towards the Meteohub.  The Hautespot is way too expensive.  Meteohub can be made WiFi like Hautespot for a fraction of the price.  One day my date WILL be on Weatherforyou!

Offline ryan hothersall

• Senior Contributor
      • My Stuff on the Web
    « Reply #22 on: December 24, 2008, 02:13:27 AM »
    I am quite happy with my WeatherlinkIP as it gets my weather data on the net in an easy to setup way.

Although I have my weather station on a second computer that I could set up to be on 24/7, but I have no idea on HTML, PHP etc, so I think some are expecting a bit much of the WeatherlinkIP.

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
    « Reply #23 on: December 24, 2008, 09:22:45 AM »
    Hi Ryan,
    Glad to hear WLIP is working out for you, it does sound like an easy solution to posting to the web on it's own page.  Conversely, I don't think it's too much to expect to have the newest Weatherlink product AT LEAST do what the older serial/USB Weatherlink products do :???:  When a product is unable to post rainfall rate and windgust data to third party weather sites as the older versions did, and when it is incapable of displaying all the parameters that the console does (ie, solar radiation, THSW index), it is dumbing down.  This is evident by the catalog description of the item itself, which emphasizes the plug-and-play convenience and no need to know anything about the web.  I think that's great, because I'm not web/IT savy myself, but when it does so by sacrificing critical functions (or at least in my opinion as a one year old weather buff), I'm not impressed.  I'm also big on GPS units, and have noticed this 'dumbing down' going on with Garmin and their Nuvi series.  I frequent GPS forums, and the  key complaint with users is that Garmin, which relentlessly turns out new Nuvi products, continually adds "eye candy" and non-essential functions to the new products, while removing functions that veteran users found useful if not essential.  Most of us weather nuts want to see our data presented in graph format, it makes it easy to spot trends one way or another.  Weatherunderground has nice little graphs for each parameter for your weatherstation (unless you post using WLIP, then your rainfall rate and wind gust data will be mysteriously absent).  When you go to Weatherlink.com you get a nice blue sky background and some of your readings.  No graphs.  No functions to customize what you see.  If I was the kind of user to be satisfied with that, I probably would not have went through the trouble to buy and setup my own weatherstation to begin with.  But then again, to each his own.

anything