Author Topic: Replacing Davis Vantage Vue?  (Read 1573 times)

Offline dtwrlewis

• Rothesay
Replacing Davis Vantage Vue?
« on: March 05, 2022, 06:03:04 PM »
I've had my David VV for about 13-14yrs. It seems to have finally developed a fault that is expensive/technically challenging to fix. I think the capacitor is dying. Even with a new battery it stops transmitting for 6hrs overnight. Anyway After a bit of research I've come down to the following options:
1. Replace the Davis VV Sensor suite - CA$ 317
2. Get an ECOWITT HP2553 - CA$ 349

It needs to be able to upload data to meteotemplate. Preferably directly and not via wunderground. I currently use weathercat (via a davis usb datalogger) on an old mac to do this.

If I go with 2) - then i think i need a meteobridge?

I'm happy to spend a bit more if there are other solutions that would work well. Also would like my next station to also last >10yrs.

Hoping Gyvate sees this as he posted a useful reply here last year https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=42421.0

Offline dtwrlewis

• Rothesay
Re: Replacing Davis Vantage Vue?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 06:04:34 PM »

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 06:35:58 PM »
If you go for ecowitt you can upload to meteotemplate using the ecowitt plugin ( in addition you can use the ecowittModule block to check the status of your sensors )
You don't need a meteobridge, you can use the 'custom upload' function of the ecowitt console
Regarding ecowitt sensors life, I can't say anything ( as my station is only 1 year old )
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 06:57:13 PM by davidefa »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 06:49:13 PM »
Also would like my next station to also last >10yrs.
Then I highly suggest a VP2. Mine will be 15 this summer. Besides, if you go elsewhere, you'll miss those 2-2.5 second updates on the wind if you go other than Davis, and the VP2 is easily "fixable" compared to the Vue. Get what you pay for.

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 06:53:04 PM »
Noticed you are on meteotemplate 17.1, the plugin and block I referred are certainly compatible with meteotemplate 18.0, but I never tested on 17.1

Offline dtwrlewis

• Rothesay
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2022, 04:06:17 PM »
Noticed you are on meteotemplate 17.1, the plugin and block I referred are certainly compatible with meteotemplate 18.0, but I never tested on 17.1

Thanks davidefa, I was planning to update to 18.0 anyway. Do you have an Ecowitt? Which model do you recommend?

Offline dtwrlewis

• Rothesay
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 04:18:36 PM »
Also would like my next station to also last >10yrs.
Then I highly suggest a VP2. Mine will be 15 this summer. Besides, if you go elsewhere, you'll miss those 2-2.5 second updates on the wind if you go other than Davis, and the VP2 is easily "fixable" compared to the Vue. Get what you pay for.

Thanks CW2274, I did say i'd be willing to pay a 'bit' more. But a VP2 would be CA$788 plus not sure if my VV datalogger would work, so would need to get weatherlink live for CA$350 also? Maybe I'll get an Ecowitt and wait for the VP3 or VV2 to come out :-)

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 04:46:35 PM »
I have a ws65 7-in-1 sensor and a wh2650 gateway ( similar to gw1000 ), no console ( 90 euro last year ), added e few sensors ( wh51 soil sensors, wh57 lightning sensor and wh31 T/H sensors ), super happy. Contacted ecowitt support to have a few spares: excellent service ( they sent me also the raingauge/T/H sensor assembly free of charge ).
Other user on the forum are using this app with an old tablet, in place of  the console

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2022, 05:57:41 PM »
A VP2 ISS will work with a Vue console. So that could be a replacement.  If you use existing console then no need to change the logger or program you now hav[size=78%]e.[/size]

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline vinceskahan

• Senior Contributor
    • home site
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2022, 08:11:10 PM »
Have you contacted Davis to see what they'll refurbish your unit for ?   That used to be a more reasonable price if you can handle the box being away for a couple few weeks.  Don't know about import/export though since you're in CA.
WeeWX sites:
  Davis VP2+DFARS to a pi4
  EcoWitt GW1000, WH32 outdoor T+H, multiple WH31 indoor T+H, WH51 soilMoisture (docker)
  Davis AirLink (inside)
  PurpleAir (outside)
Home site:        https://www.skahan.net/
Wunderground: KWAFEDER15
PWS:                KWFEDER15
CWOP:              CW6881

Offline dtwrlewis

• Rothesay
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2022, 06:25:23 PM »
Thanks all. I decided to go with the Ecowitt HP2553 and the GW1100 in the end.
My reasons:
1. I wanted to start collecting solar data - the Vantage Vue doesn't do this
2. I wanted to simplify how I connect to my weather pages (meteotemplate, WU, etc) - with the Vantage Vue I used the datalogger connected to a mac mini, running weathercat. Weathercat provides the update to the weather pages. Each step required varying degrees of upkeep. After each power outage, I had to restart weathercat. Also needed to ensure I didn't update the mac os beyond the capabilities of weathercat.
3. Using GW1100 simplifies all of this. It just reboots and starts working after a power outage. Also as it is small and located next to my router I can use the same ups.
4. I realize I may be sacrificing some accuracy & durability - but so far the data Ecowitt data seems very close to what the Vue is reporting.
5. I will bring my Vue in and place it on my project shelf - (project 23 - open Vue, assess the possibility of changing capacitor......, realize it's beyond my expertise, sell as a project on ebay)
6. Lastly, I wanted to be able to experiment with some additional sensors at an affordable cost e.g soil, waterleak etc

NOTE: for others looking at the HP2553 - if your main way of viewing your weather data is via a weather page e.g WU or Meteotemplate, I would suggest not purchasing the HP2553 package like I did. I would just buy the WS80 and the WH40 and the GW1100 as separate items. The TFT Display is unnecessary. The display is nice, but the interface is pretty crappy.

As for meteotemplate - the migration from weathercat to GW1100 was actually very easy. It is now up and running and I am now planning to spend a few hrs updating/reorganizing my various blocks and plugins.

http://www.dtwrlewis.com/rothesay

Offline horseflesh

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2022, 07:46:30 PM »
Thanks for the recap. Let us know how you get on with the Ecowitt stuff, I am due for a total system replacement as well and am trying to decide what to do.

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2022, 05:20:22 AM »
@dtwrlewis
On the meteotemplate forum you may find updated blocks/plugins