Author Topic: I'm Back..  (Read 236 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
I'm Back..
« on: March 24, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
been gone a week to Belton, Texas - Summers Mill Retreat.  Wife was at a rug hooker's camp or whatever they call it.  It is a bunch of ladies (older, much older)  all cutting wool fabric into thin strips and making outstanding detailed rugs with pictures of just about everything you could take a picture of. Just marvelous to see.  You'd be proud of me that I didn't say anything at all, kept my mouth shut when they said " Welcome HOOKERS."   I thought I'd bust a gut.   

There is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness.

Got to see some nasty weather.  There was a slow moving cold front down that way,  they were in a drought, but when they predicted six inches of rain, I doubted that.     

We didn't get a tornado or the baseball sized hail they said, but it rained so hard, it washed all the bugs off the wife's Jeep we accumulated on the drive down.   They got the six inches as they thought, but they said all the stock tanks were full and the drought was over for now.

What amazed me is little thunder with this storm, like up here in the midwest. What unnerved me is that when we asked where the storm cellar was? The group said they didn't have one, all homes are built on slabs.  The best bet was to go into the inside of the room and hide in the bathroom and pray.

Anyway,  we had a nice drive down, the freeway's in Texas have no on ramp to speak of so you are there in traffic.    On the way back, stopped for lunch at Bubba's BBQ in Ennis, Tx and from there to Denton and home.  The wife was driving and wanted to avoid Kansas City during rush hour so we went up 99 North of Emporia Kansas. Man that is a beautiful drive up through that country., then we hit Kansas .36  and made it to Nebraska City where we were out of energy and daylight. Came home this AM.

I was worried about the power going off so I set WD to fire up when the computer rebooted, but our daughter was here and there was no problems, So we are reclaiming our castle now.  School starts up on Monday.    We had a good time.

What sucked was no internet connection to speak of down at this place. They had Hughes net dish because they were out in the stick, their satellite TV sucked worse.  However, I was able to use the bluetooth from the school's laptop to my smart phone, quickly ran the battery down, but was able to establish a slow connection for some things..  now to catch up on what has been going on here

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: I'm Back..
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 08:25:12 PM »
Holy cow, 6 inches of rain from a single storm! Was that some kind of record for the area or they get dumps like that from time to time? (after all, everything is bigger in Texas :-P).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 08:28:13 PM by DanS »

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 08:40:21 PM »
There is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness.

You can say that again!   :-k

What unnerved me is that when we asked where the storm cellar was? The group said they didn't have one, all homes are built on slabs.  The best bet was to go into the inside of the room and hide in the bathroom and pray.

That's terrible!   8-[

However, I was able to use the bluetooth from the school's laptop to my smart phone, quickly ran the battery down, but was able to establish a slow connection for some things.

Welcome to my world!   ](*,)

now to catch up on what has been going on here

Welcome back!  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 11:22:55 PM »
Holy cow, 6 inches of rain from a single storm! Was that some kind of record for the area or they get dumps like that from time to time? (after all, everything is bigger in Texas :-P).
  they thought they would get 9 inches.

Considering it was a slow moving storm and coming up from Mexico somewhat.. I am not sure what they get , all the time I thought. "man, can I imagine watching it click in on the Davis or what?"