Weather Station Hardware > Davis Instruments Weather Stations

Davis Instruments no longer made in USA?

(1/3) > >>

twiggly2:
Well, perhaps I was wrong when I purchased my Vantage Pro2 in 2006, but I thought Davis Instruments weather stations were made in the USA.  I haven't been following weather stations very close since, but from what I am reading today about the Davis VP2 Plus, they are only designed and assembled in the USA.  Am I correct?  I know I will be getting flamed for asking what is probably an old question, but I am not very savvy with the internet.  I google searched and used the wxforum search window and still had no answers to my questions.  Sorry if that offends and thanks to anyone that fills me in.

CW2274:

--- Quote from: twiggly2 on May 31, 2023, 09:38:51 PM --- from what I am reading today about the Davis VP2 Plus, they are only designed and assembled in the USA.  Am I correct? 

--- End quote ---
That's pretty much it in a nutshell. They've outsourced for parts as long as I can remember, and I was okay with that, then. Now, latest gossip is that they're packing bags in entirety for "you know where"... For myself, if that comes to fruition, they'll never see another dime from me, at least anything new. I'll keep the VP2 running, and that'll be it.

doubleohwhatever:
Up until Davis was purchased, the line was "Made in USA with US and imported parts". Circuit boards and any intellectual property sensitive parts were made in the US while parts like injection molded housings were sourced from wherever was cheapest.

The new owners (AEM) appear to have stuck with this model throughout the development and release of the AirLink, WeatherLink, and newer EnviroMonitor products. However, with the release of the new WeatherLink Console they appear to changed course. The Weatherlink Console sports a "Made in China" mark on the case. My guess is that the Davis product development team in the US has been either drastically shrunken or fully eliminated in favor of contract design and manufacturing.

Honestly, globalization is just a thing at this point. If you want to argue about something crappy that Davis is doing, it should be about their ever-increasing prices.

CW2274:

--- Quote from: doubleohwhatever on June 01, 2023, 04:21:35 PM ---Honestly, globalization is just a thing at this point. If you want to argue about something crappy that Davis is doing, it should be about their ever-increasing prices.

--- End quote ---
Your opinion. I think differently. Besides, nothing like shipping your business to a ruthless regime, child labor and all, and then have the audacity to jack up the price. No, thanks.

WheatonRon:
How does this page, copied below from its website, fit into Davis’ facts?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version