Weather Station Hardware > What Weather Station Should I Buy?

Are Davis Vantage Pro Weather Stations Still Considered as High Among the Best?

<< < (3/4) > >>

TheBushPilot:
I would argue the whole "professional" label for consumer grade weather stations is a bit disingenuous. They're consumer grade. Nothing more, nothing less. They perform in my opinion incredibly well for being just that. Davis Instruments makes well rounded robust stations for the average person. Albeit with a dated console, but you really can't go wrong with them. That's not to say they have their share of QC issues. But generally speaking they seem to have found their place on the market. Now, whether any station is considered professional is really up to the user. "Professional" is also subjective to who you ask. Take for example: you can host an ASOS in your backyard, but unless you maintain the instruments and calibrate per the recommended intervals, its data is about as valuable as the Acurite down the road. On the flipside, calibrating a Davis once a year may allow one to better evaluate individual sensor performance and put some weight behind the readings if one were to question the accuracy of said suite.

If we want to get technical, I would consider all modular weather stations fundamentally problematic in some capacity. From measurement methods to measurement traceability.

But, the good news is that these stations were not designed to emulate an ASOS or state funded mesonet. Their target market is the amateur weather observer who probably does not care about traceability of measurements or sensor response time or gradient dampening. And that's ok.

So all in all, yeah. Davis Instruments makes good weather stations for the market they are targeting. Their community presence and reputation is a pretty good indicator of that.

Cheers

kaz911:

--- Quote from: Bunty on May 06, 2023, 05:15:21 AM ---What about Tempest?   Prefer commentary by someone with personal experience with Tempest.

--- End quote ---

I have 3 Tempest stations.

They are absolute rubbish.

1. Rain sensor - only works if you can mount the device on a flat concrete surface with very little "extension". ANY vibration will register as rain. A bird landing on it will trigger "rain" - I had one of mine with quad "reinforcement" steel strings and double chimney mounts setup - and that still register great amounts of rain if wind is > 7-8 m/s

2. Batteries - they just die without warning

3. Bird protector spikes - slides down and blocks air for wind sensor.  (see point 1...)

4. At very low wind speeds - the sensor is all over the place (vs. Davis Vantage is spot on) - at "NO wind" it drifts / shows about 0.5 m/s. That is very common for Ultrasonic sensors including the very expensive Airmar WX200 (of which I have a few)

5. Tempest have a "we know our rain gauge is crap" software feature which is supposed to help with "false positives" - I have never been able to get it to work. (You "backfeed" known rain to them and they try to calibrate)

But a conceptual issue is wind and rain should not be measured at the same place.

I have kicked myself multiple times for NOT just buying the Davis from the start.

I still have one non-functional Tempest on my roof - the 2 others are in the "scrap pile"

Bunty:
Since 3 Tempest turned out to be rubbish, then it must be time for the company engineers to go back to the drawing board.

doubleohwhatever:

--- Quote from: miraculon on May 06, 2023, 10:41:59 AM ---Probably among the best of the consumer-grade stuff, but it's no Vaisala, R M Young, Novalynx, etc.

--- End quote ---

For what it's worth the Vaisala WXT "Acoustic RAINCAP" is far less accurate than any calibrated tipping bucket. That said, the WXT536 does have a tipping bucket input.

cpufrost:
>>

For what it's worth the Vaisala WXT "Acoustic RAINCAP" is far less accurate than any calibrated tipping bucket. That said, the WXT536 does have a tipping bucket input.<<

Agreed.  The "haptic sensor" [sic] is sacrificing accuracy and repeatability for convenience.  Nothing more.  It's a bad concept that needs to be abandoned.

It's essentially the equivalent of measuring the rumble noise from wind in a microphone and equating that to wind speed!  There are a few silly Android apps that just do that, claiming to be "wind meters".  :lol:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version