Weather Related Organizations > CoCoRaHS

CoCoRaHS Versus NWS Gauge

<< < (4/5) > >>

ocala:
Interesting, but pricey.

WheatonRon:
Pricey, very pricey. Fortunately, I can afford to upgrade if I choose to. However, if the CoCo folks want to increase participation in their program, requiring buying this new gauge will deter folks. Hopefully, the old gauge will still be considered acceptable.

Cutty Sark Sailor:

--- Quote from: WheatonRon on March 01, 2023, 03:40:55 PM ---Pricey, very pricey. Fortunately, I can afford to upgrade. However, if the CoCo folks want to increase participation in their program, requiring buying this new gauge will deter folks. Hopefully, the old gauge will still be considered acceptable.

--- End quote ---
Yes, and I (and I suspect others involved) suggested cost would affect implementation,  ... when I opened the box, I KNEW there was no way this would be in the Stratus price range...and using it proved that  ... however this is a CoCoRaHS approved 'alternate', not a mandatory!!!!  (Dang shame 'cause it beat the Stratus hands down in all areas). And I did not implement the handle, except to test it, didn't use the pole mount assy included, have my own brush and level... so it's way more than I need in this package. Once they get ROI and enough orders, maybe they'll go to an optional 'basic gauge' package, but the cylinders, cap and mount bracket still couldn't cost the same as a Stratus.. they're different critters.
I'll say this... (I've been around awhile)... after implementing this, and growing accustomed to it, having done indicated measurement comparisons using a Lab Gauge weight/density/volume ref, no way can I trust 'the old standby'. What I saw completely destroyed any confidence in the Stratus sitting 30" away at same height, regardless of which inner cylinder I had in the Stratus (ONE out of the 6 Stratus inner cylinders I have accumulated over the years compared within 2%, but STILL had an overflow cut above 1 inch!

Heck, it's almost worth the cost for the superior mount bracket! It 'froze' a couple of times, and a slight tap freed it. 2 additional times the Stratus also 'froze' (Tropo didn't), with the usual frustration of releasing the Stratus.  Bracket alone? Tropo:4 - Stratus:0
Man, I need to not post again on this... you folks will think I own the company or something.. .

CW2274:
Whether this would ever come to fruition, no idea, but some WFO's use to give away Stratus gauges for free. However, being double the price...

WheatonRon:
My situation is a bit different probably than most. I put my stratus gauge on my patio and secure it with big bricks. Enhanced mounting brackets wouldn’t help me. It really is the only area in my yard that isn’t affected by trees. In the wintertime, I have two stratus gauges—one to collect precipitation and the other to replace the one that just filled with snow and rain. I weigh my precipitation in the winter—much easier and accurate than melting snow with warm water.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version