Author Topic: Too Many Questions  (Read 1926 times)

Offline FloridaChi

Too Many Questions
« on: June 29, 2020, 08:43:20 PM »
Trying to set up my first weather station in Central Florida - the New Home of COVID-19.  I understand the rationale of separate component.  I want to enable expansion as wanted/affordable/available.  Is it possible to bypass a console and link directly to a local PC/I-pad?  If yes, what software would be used.  Sorry if this is such a newb question.  All suggestion/explanations to this broken down old nurse are appreciated.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Too Many Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 09:24:05 PM »
The purpose of a console is to receive radio frequency data from the various sensors. This is one way radio like a radio station. It is not WiFi. Then the console makes the data available in various ways depending on the features of the console. A console may or not can have a display, but some models just connect to the Internet and make the data available to various places. If you want data on a computer or iPad then you need to run various software or sometimes just access the location via a browser where the data was sent.

I'm speaking in very general terms because you have not indicated what weather station or stations you are considering. Maybe you haven't gotten there yet.

I'm not sure why you say you don't want a console. Is it because you don't want a display? Or is it something else? Having a console makes it easy to send the data elsewhere, like to a computer or location where the iPad can see the data.

If you truly don't want a console (with or without display), then you can plug in an SDR receiver to pull in the sensor transmitted data directly into the computer and you would use rtl_433 software. This is more complicated but doable. Essentially this turns the computer into the console that directly listens to the radio data signals. Realize sensors don't transmit on WiFi.

But different weather station brands can work totally different.  Another option is to get a weather station the uses a different method to send the data like LoRaWAN and Sigfox and nb-iot and then you subscribe to the services to show you the data on the Internet. Other station have a console with built in cellular modem and then upload to the Internet to various services or to your computer.

You started asking what software to do this with, but that is the wrong question. You should start by determining your hardware needs. What types of sensors do you need? What is your budget? Tell us why you don't want a console. There is plenty of different software that works with different hardware. So there isn't one particular software to recommend. Rather after you have selected a station then you can consider what software is compatible. But do you really need software? Is it sufficient to just upload the data to the Internet to some service so that you can get the data from there?

You say you have many questions. But leave the questions to us (for now). Explain what you are tying to accomplish.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 09:30:05 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline FloridaChi

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 10:34:52 PM »
Galfert.  Thank you for your explanation and obvious patience.  Goals are monitoring local conditions.  Not looking to upload at this time as there are some other “local” stations on line.  After more analysis paralysis I “think” I might have some hardware ideas.  Really I stole from others.  Looking at the Ecowitt HP2553 kit with the cup anemometer.  If I am correct, Ecowitt cant’t send the ultrasonic to the US.  The main parameters I want to observe are wind speed and direction, temp, and rainfall.  Humidity is not an issue in Florida; it is always humid.  Barometric pressure is also not critical as my daughter has migraines triggered by a drop in pressure so I have a living barometer (although, she requires a lot more maintenance than a couple of AA batteries).  Am I missing anything else to get started?  Thanks to all who have looked and to Galfert for his time.  I think he has forgotten more than I will ever know.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 12:11:03 AM »
The HP2553 is a nice kit. If you want ultrasonic in the US you can get the Ambient WS-5000 as it is the same thing (save for some firmware and and supporting company differences). Either are expandable (more sensors).

HP2552 is the same thing with different anemometer. It isn't an official kit but it can be ordered. It is like ordering the GW1002 and then adding the display, except that then you also end up with the GW1000 which is great if you want to expand and run other software like Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, or Weather-Display.

So we are dropping the no console request? Or did that just mean no display before as some people equate console to mean display?

As for not uploading, that might just be the easiest way to get data on the iPad or anywhere else. And sure there may be other local stations nearby but weather can be different just down the street. You get a weather station to see your weather, not your neighbor's. Besides, can you trust your neighbor's data? You have no way to know if they sited their station as best as you could or that they are properly removing debris from the rain gauge regularly and that other maintenance has been done.
Tele-Pole

Offline FloridaChi

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 02:08:59 PM »
Here we go!  Issued request to Ecowitt for a quote on the the following (go big or go home - right). 

GW1002 Wi-Fi Weather Station Gateway with Wireless Anemometer, Rain Collector, Thermo-Hygro Sensor.
HP2551 Weather Station Display Console - Accessory Only
WH57 WIFI Weather Sensor Series -- Lightning Detection Sensor
WH31 WIFI Weather Sensor Series -- Multi-Channel Temperature and humidity Sensor
RS-00001 Ecowitt Temperature and Humidity Solar Radiation Shield for WH32/WH31 Sensor

Have I missed anything that cannot be procured locally?  Can't mount anemometer too high as I can't climb/work on ladder liked I used to do.  Live in a suburb setting; however have a lot at the end of a street with a large side yard.  I "think" I can get good sensor locations.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 02:53:05 PM »
Sounds good. Scrap the RS-00001 as it is a big time under-performer. Instead get a Davis 7714 for the WH32.

Some people create an anemometer mounting solution where no climbing is necessary. You put a 4x4 in the ground. Then you bolt on a metal pole and secure it to the side of the 4x4 with a swivel bracket that goes through the pole. All you need to do is devise a release further up the 4x4 onto the pole. This can be a fairly inexpensive solution of 4x4 and top fence post as the pole and the accessory hardware to secure. You could use a bag of quick set concrete or not depending on your soil and permafrost situation.

You probably can't mount the anemometer too high. The official mounting height for an anemometer is 10 meters. But that is not a requirement.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 02:58:07 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline FloridaChi

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 09:55:03 AM »
Happy Treason Day (or Independence Day, depending on your flavor).  My wife is from Scotland and reminds me I am one of the “ungrateful colonists.”  After 41 years of marriage, and being a Registered Nurse since 1976, I have heard every faux pas a boyfriend/spouse/significant other can make.  I an all-pro at “yes, dear” especially since I want to buy my first weather status.  Speaking of the first weather station, I got my quote back from Lucy with Ecowitt.  OUCH!! 

New Plan: purchase the HP2551-C from Ecowitt as then I will not be limited to sensors from Ambient Weather (right??).  Another poster noted they were told by Lucy, some Ecowitt products will be available on the all-knowing and all-seeing US Amazon site; but not the ultrasonic anemometer – no biggie.  As such, I was able to order the Ecowitt GW-1002 from Amazon at less cost than Ecowitt direct and still add additional sensors from Ecowitt and/or Ambient.  Scheduled for delivery on 14 July 2020 (yes, Bastille Day for our francophile friends).  As always, thanks for looking and commenting. 

Offline Cooper94

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 10:35:47 AM »
This was a timely post for me - we just moved to VA, and I was looking for a new station. Great info here, and I am about settled on the GW1002 as well. I'm not sold on the need for a console at this point, we will see.

galfert:  Thanks for all of your great information on here!

Offline FloridaChi

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 08:50:32 PM »
Good Day from Central Florida’s COVID county.  As I noted earlier, I was able to order an Ecowitt GW-1002 from Amazon.  Anticipated delivery was mid to late July.  Got notified by Amazon it is on the big silver bird from California with delivery anticipated on 13 July.  Woo-hoo.  I guess I know what I am doing Sunday afternoon.  Of note, Amazon does state they have 13 in stock.  And I am not affiliated with Amazon (except I wished I had bought stock in 1997 when I first read an article in the WSJ about an on-line bookstore competing with Waldenbooks, Borders, W.H. Smith, and Books-a-Million).  Just dated myself, again.  Thanks for looking and to all posters in the different sections for being so willing to help the less knowledgeable.

P.S.  Next stop .....software

Offline Chucktin

• Kathouse
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 08:03:49 AM »
How's your progress? We are in Marion county & north of you (horse country so definitely rural) and we are about to move  another 7 - 8 miles west. So our Ambient Falcon will move also. Never have had luck getting it online to weather underground so wishing you better luck. I'm subscribing to the topic to follow your posts.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 08:30:50 AM »
Hey neighbor.

Offline Cooper94

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 08:37:15 AM »
We are in VA, recently moved from FL, and partially because of this thread, I bought a GW1002. Don't have the station in it's final locations yet, I need a 35'+ extension ladder to get the anemometer on the roof. But, getting it hooked up to Ecowit and WeatherUndergound was mostly painless. Getting it to WeatherCloud was much more difficult. WC's station ID and pin (whatever pair of numbers) was much longer and I missed one little digit! But, great station so far!!

Offline Chucktin

• Kathouse
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 12:31:38 PM »
Hello Ocala. We are north of 40.

Offline FloridaChi

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2020, 04:05:30 PM »
Good Day y'all.  My update.  Amazon order arrived as expected.  Have been delayed in siting the hardware as I am having some minor heart surgery next week.  I did order the 2551-C console with the help of Lucy and the advice of all on this forum.  Cost was $139.99 US with DHL shipping.  Only caveats were "Please note that we'll need about 4-5 weeks to prepare your order.  We'll ship your order with express mail and the estimated delivery time will be two weeks after the shipment due to the Corona Virus.   Now for the next important questions.  I "plan" on siting the rain collector at a lower level that the anemometer.  But what do you do/used for a mast.  Galfert suggested an articulated mast.  Prefer not to do a roof or high level mounting  due to the possibility of a sudden stop at the end if/when I fall from the roof.  That hard stop can be a real killer.  Thanks to all.  Keep Safe and Carry On.  Chuck

Offline Chucktin

• Kathouse
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2020, 05:44:39 AM »
I put my Falcon PWS on two lengths of chainlink fence top rail. The post is secured to the side of our barn with an antenna mount.

anything