Author Topic: Temp probe with SHT35  (Read 6987 times)

Offline kenthcwx

• Contributor
    • Twitter Account
Re: Temp probe with SHT35
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2020, 09:44:07 AM »
Here's a question though. How well do you think the display/transmitter is going to hold up against weather? Seems open to the elements to me.

Even with a proper radiation shield the transmitter with LCD display needs to go into a weather box. Look for posts by mauro63 on this forum in this very thread, he has shared some pictures of doing just this. See here:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=39275.msg404372#msg404372

Color me confused. Lucy says the LED is 'rainproof'

"Thanks for your reminding of the instruction to protect the LCD display.
It's rainproof and if you install it vertically, you may no need to worry about the waterproof issue."

Confused me too. Surely installing it any rotation would cause water to get in it regardless? I plan to get this around December time & am not gonna take any risks with it being so-called "rainproof" lol.
Froggit WH4000
MeteoShield Professional
Ecowitt WH32-EP
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt WH40
Ecowitt WN30
Ecowitt GW1000

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2020, 09:45:30 AM »
Here's a question though. How well do you think the display/transmitter is going to hold up against weather? Seems open to the elements to me.

Even with a proper radiation shield the transmitter with LCD display needs to go into a weather box. Look for posts by mauro63 on this forum in this very thread, he has shared some pictures of doing just this. See here:

It's rainproof and if you install it vertically, you may no need to worry about the waterproof issue."

Pay attention, "you may" is not a warranty!
if you want you can, at your risk, my advice is absolutely to protect the sensor, and I think that some € for a good protection box could be not a problem
My wh-32 EP sensors is outside from months without any kind of problem, is a personal choice ;)

Mauro

Offline GHammer

• Senior Contributor
    • Woodmar Weather
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2020, 10:03:12 AM »

if you want you can, at your risk, my advice is absolutely to protect the sensor, and I think that some € for a good protection box could be not a problem
My wh-32 EP sensors is outside from months without any kind of problem, is a personal choice ;)

Mauro

Look, I bought and installed a weather tight box. It looks better than a length of cable dangling around. In retrospect I don't feel it was required.

The 'you may' falls in the same category as 'thanks for reminding me'. English as a second language and being polite to customers.

'It's rainproof' isn't up for debate or translation.

I also do not believe that Ecowitt would weasel out of replacing the sensor if it failed due to weather, just not that kind of company in my dealings with them. In the absence of any printed instruction/warranty material, who's to say it is warranted against anything?

If you have an otherwise kind of protected area to mount the LED/transmitter, I'd be comfortable with that. My similar WH32 was outdoors without a box for a year through the seasons we 'enjoy' in New England. I don't get firehose intensity rain here.

I agree with the idea of 'it's a personal choice' or good idea, but disagree with what I was told which was that it needed a weatherproof box.

Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus with 24hr FARS, WLL

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2020, 11:41:32 AM »

Mauro

Look, I bought and installed a weather tight box. It looks better than a length of cable dangling around. In retrospect I don't feel it was required.

The 'you may' falls in the same category as 'thanks for reminding me'. English as a second language and being polite to customers.

'It's rainproof' isn't up for debate or translation.

I also do not believe that Ecowitt would weasel out of replacing the sensor if it failed due to weather, just not that kind of company in my dealings with them. In the absence of any printed instruction/warranty material, who's to say it is warranted against anything?

If you have an otherwise kind of protected area to mount the LED/transmitter, I'd be comfortable with that. My similar WH32 was outdoors without a box for a year through the seasons we 'enjoy' in New England. I don't get firehose intensity rain here.

I agree with the idea of 'it's a personal choice' or good idea, but disagree with what I was told which was that it needed a weatherproof box.

what can I say?
probably I have some problems due to the fact that my English language is horrible and I have some difficulties in this way.
I had expressed my opinion, and I will continue to protect my external wh temperature sensor, EP or not, with a solar radiation shield and, in EP versions, also with a good waterproof enclosure.
the original wh enclosure has no protection on batteries compartment, no O-ring, and the side holes can give the opportunity for water infiltrations in case of hard rain events and strong winds

so, not sure that this will happen, but probably yes in some cases

Mauro

Offline GHammer

• Senior Contributor
    • Woodmar Weather
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2020, 11:44:02 AM »
Insurance is always good.
Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus with 24hr FARS, WLL

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2020, 06:03:38 PM »
To me, "waterproof" means you can throw it into a bucket of water and it will still work, like wearing a waterproof wristwatch while swimming. So "rainproof" is a more practical goal for a weather station - withstanding drops of water pelting down on it from some upward direction.

Rich K.
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline Jai Soone

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2020, 06:15:43 PM »
Hi,
a little presentation about new WH31/32 EP series with external Sensirion SHT35 probe

Mauro

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y48DSfO0Q0U7gE1OFjvf0FhLTe1ldl-8/view

The relative humidity diagram shown in Figure 4 for the SHT 35 sure looks flat to me at the  low end and doesn't climb as fast at the high end as the SHT30 does.

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2020, 04:07:07 PM »
That is really at the heart of it - the performance at the low and high extremes of the range. Serious PWS people in some areas want to see good high-humidity performance, while others in dry areas are looking for better performance below 10% RH. Note that while the stated tolerance of the SHT35 does not climb as high as the SHT30, it does start climbing sooner, at 80% instead of 90%.

Rich K.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2020, 04:42:51 PM »
Note that while the stated tolerance of the SHT35 does not climb as high as the SHT30, it does start climbing sooner, at 80% instead of 90%.

But....although the SHT35 begins to climb (and lose accuracy) at 80% RH at that point it is still more accurate than the SHT30. By the time the SHT35 reaches 90%RH it is still more accurate than than the SHT30. Then the SHT35 ends the climb at 100% RH at an accuracy of ±2% RH which is where the SHT30 was at its best before it started to climb. So it doesn't matter that that SHT35 begins to climb before the SHT30...what matters is at what accuracy each sensor is at for any given % RH. This is a distinction that is easy to miss and to then draw the wrong conclusion. I'm sure if you look at it more closely now that I've pointed this out that you will agree. Perhaps you did realize this but it doesn't seem to me like it got conveyed clearly enough. I see where someone might draw the wrong conclusion from your statement.

EDIT: I just re-read your post. The more times I read it I think you do get it because of this part, "the stated tolerance of the SHT35 does not climb as high." I just think it is undeserving to point negative attention to the SHT35 losing accuracy sooner than the SHT30 without more clearly explaining that what really matters is that at any given point the SHT35 is still more accurate. Although I guess you did say it. Somehow I would have said it the other way around for clarity. See the last thing I heard is that something is worse on the SHT35. So you are good. Sorry for even bringing this up.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 05:02:37 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2020, 04:52:52 PM »
Note that while the stated tolerance of the SHT35 does not climb as high as the SHT30, it does start climbing sooner, at 80% instead of 90%.

But....although the SHT35 begins to climb (and lose accuracy) at 80% RH at that point it is still more accurate than the SHT30. By the time the SHT35 reaches 90%RH it is still more accurate than than the SHT30. Then the SHT35 ends the climb at 100% RH at an accuracy of ±2% RH which is where the SHT30 was at its best before it started to climb. So it doesn't matter that that SHT35 begins to climb before the SHT30...what matters is at what accuracy each sensor is at for any given % RH. This is a distinction that is easy to miss and to then draw the wrong conclusion. I'm sure if you look at it more closely now that I've pointed this out that you will agree. Perhaps you did realize this but it doesn't seem to me like it got conveyed clearly enough. I see where someone might draw the wrong conclusion from your statement.

correct, I totally agree  ;)

Mauro
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 04:58:34 PM by galfert »

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2020, 05:29:04 PM »
Galfert, I do see your point, and what I wrote could have been clearer.

A main consideration to me is that these tolerance lines as drawn are not the actual performance of a sensor. They are simplified boundary lines for stating the standard that Sensirion uses for the units it sells. You can think of it as a quality control measurement criterion. Those individual sensors (or samples from batches) that come off the production process and fall within the stated tolerance line pass; the actual performance graph of a typical sensor unit is somewhere below (i.e. better than) the specified line, and is likely a more irregular line. A sensor that exceeds (is worse than) the specified line gets rejected, or possibly may be stamped and sold under a lower-quality, lower-priced part number. The tolerance line is set so that a commercially viable percentage of the production meets that standard.

So, with good luck, you may happen to get a particular sensor that happens to work appreciably more accurately than the standard line indicates. I remember that a while back some people on this forum were buying a handful of sensors and testing them out to find the best individual performer. In any case, the SHT35 is a step up in performance.

Rich K.

Offline WA4OPQ

• Forecaster
  • 4 stations: 2902 array, GW1000, 3 on Meteobridge
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2020, 08:08:34 PM »
FYI

Amazon has the SHT35 sensor conversion kit marked down to $10.95
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZGD8FKB

I ordered one just for a rainy day project

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2020, 10:36:22 PM »
I believe that the benefit from doing the SHT35 conversion would not be as good as getting the new WH32-EP. This is because the original WH32 is limited by its hardware design to minimum 10%RH. The SHT30 itself is not limited to minimum 10%RH, it is the implementation by FO in the WH32 that has this limitation. That is just how they designed it. If you go and modify an WH32 with a SHT35 then you will not get the full benefit.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WA4OPQ

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2020, 11:00:17 PM »
I'd thought of that.
I live in the South.  Not going below 10% isn't an issue.

Offline Calochortus

« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2020, 01:21:57 AM »
Will the SHT35 probes be waterproof?  It'd be nice to have a pond, pool, hot tub sensor, etc.

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2020, 03:16:31 AM »
That's not the ideal use of this premium sensor....
For one the Humidity would read 100%....
I think it would fail if immersed in water fairly quickly though I am not 100% certain.

However all is not lost as Ecowitt has a solution in the works..
They have developed a sensor that is IPX rated and either has a soil temp spike or a long lead to measure water temperature.
This will be called WH34, when released. Its currently in pre-production test so hopefully not too long.

I will report on it very soon as I will be testing it. (Both variants)
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline WA4OPQ

• Forecaster
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2020, 10:49:12 AM »

Offline SWX

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2020, 10:06:37 AM »
I know most are concerned with performance in low humidity but I can’t wait to see how this performs in high humidity, at times I feel my 2902A array is running a bit too high with humidity/dew points. It’s very plausible that my local environment is simply more humid than the airport, more greenery means increased evapotranspiration + far less air movement compared to an airport, and as a result the humidity just builds, maybe?

I want to see how the SHT35 performs with dew points above 70°F (21°C), and especially over 75°F (24°C). The readings on my 2902A array tend to become inconsistent at this point, changing by as much as 2°F (1°C) between updates, as if the sensor is struggling. This morning the dew point here is around 80°F (27°C), and my 2902A is darting back and forth between 79°F (26°C) and 82°F (28°C) lol. Not a big deal for me, but if the SHT35 probe improves on this that’d be great. Also would like to finally see 100% humidity instead of 99%.
Wunderground / PWS Weather
Ambient Weather WS-2902A
Ambient WeatherBridge
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH51 x 2
Ecowitt WH57
Ecowitt WS68

Offline WA4OPQ

• Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2020, 10:48:39 AM »
Also would like to finally see 100% humidity instead of 99%.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Most hardware and software is set up for two digits.

Offline KD7GFL

« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2020, 02:47:12 PM »
Got my WH32-EP installed and mounted today in a Davis shield using the waterproof container I posted a few weeks ago.  I am waiting for some rubber grommets to seal up the hole in the bottom, but that is more to keep bugs out.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 02:50:42 PM by KD7GFL »
CWOP: KD7GFL (AV640)
WU: KMOAUXVA6
Ambient Weather: KD7GFL

Equipment: GW1000, WS-68, WH40 (w/WH65 Funnel for improved accuracy), WH32-EP (Davis 7714), WH-31 X 2, WH-32, WH-57, HP2551-C, and an Ambient WeatherBridge.

Offline ivano

• Senior Contributor
    • http://www.supermeteo.com/stazione/ortelle/
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2020, 02:52:25 PM »
Got my WH32-EP installed and mounted today in a Davis shield using the waterproof container I posted a few weeks ago.  I am waiting for some rubber grommets to seal up the hole in the bottom, but that is more to keep bugs out.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Sarebbe interessante capire come sta messo dentro la sonda
Non hai fatto qualche foto ?
1)3 gw1000 +1 GW2000
2)hp2551
3)ws80
4)ws68
5)2 wh32 EP
6)5 wh31 EP
7)2 meteoschield pro 3° gen
8)1 Fars meteoshield pro 3° gen
9) davis 7714 Black
10)wh40
11)schermo solare RAD-14 Metspec
12)schermo solare RAD-02 Metspec
13)Meteorain 200 compact (Barani)
14)davis ventilato h24
15) Davis vp2 pro ventilata
16) GW1001 ecowitt
17) Wittboy ecowitt
18)schermo solare  Comet system da Cometeo
template http://ortellemeteo.altervista.org/pwsd/
webcam :https://rtsp.me/embed/tRhazi3z/
http://www.supermeteo.com/stazione/ortelle/

Offline KD7GFL

« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2020, 03:01:23 PM »

I didn't take pics of the probe mounted inside the shield, but I did it just like the Davis manual instructed. Here is a pic from the manual if that helps: [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Equipment: GW1000, WS-68, WH40 (w/WH65 Funnel for improved accuracy), WH32-EP (Davis 7714), WH-31 X 2, WH-32, WH-57, HP2551-C, and an Ambient WeatherBridge.

Offline ivano

• Senior Contributor
    • http://www.supermeteo.com/stazione/ortelle/
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2020, 03:40:54 PM »

I didn't take pics of the probe mounted inside the shield, but I did it just like the Davis manual instructed. Here is a pic from the manual if that helps: [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
ah ok lo hai messo in orizzontale  [tup] pensavo fosse in piedi , perciò ero curioso  ;) ma il whEP è così?  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
1)3 gw1000 +1 GW2000
2)hp2551
3)ws80
4)ws68
5)2 wh32 EP
6)5 wh31 EP
7)2 meteoschield pro 3° gen
8)1 Fars meteoshield pro 3° gen
9) davis 7714 Black
10)wh40
11)schermo solare RAD-14 Metspec
12)schermo solare RAD-02 Metspec
13)Meteorain 200 compact (Barani)
14)davis ventilato h24
15) Davis vp2 pro ventilata
16) GW1001 ecowitt
17) Wittboy ecowitt
18)schermo solare  Comet system da Cometeo
template http://ortellemeteo.altervista.org/pwsd/
webcam :https://rtsp.me/embed/tRhazi3z/
http://www.supermeteo.com/stazione/ortelle/

Offline KD7GFL

« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2020, 03:47:53 PM »
ah ok lo hai messo in orizzontale  [tup] pensavo fosse in piedi , perciò ero curioso  ;) ma il whEP è così?

Yes, exactly like that. (Ecowitt WH32-EP.)

Offline s435weather

« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2021, 10:21:09 PM »

I am looking for a similar weather proof enclosure to hold the temperature/humidity main unit. Do you have a model or manufacturer for that nice box with a clear door I see in the picture?

Thanks

anything