Author Topic: Opinions on WeatherFlow smart weather stations?  (Read 29424 times)

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
Re: Opinions on WeatherFlow smart weather stations?
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2019, 05:13:50 PM »
I find mine with steady rain mine has been within .2mm compared to my manual rain gauge and we dont even have raincheck here. So most of the time pretty accurate

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2019, 05:30:08 PM »
said many times but unfortunately its not all too apparent straight out the box its when you go through seasonal changes and occurrences  of different rainfall events the issues start to arise.overall haptic sensor technology truly is not proven for consistency in rainfall measurements , i tested 6 weatherflow units over a 2 year period the biggest failing was rainfall measurement in every device all it had going for it was rain detection start after that it was in no mans land . piezo component sensor technology is also somewhat questionable when used for wind measurements again rain is a factor and so is sound ... and the future dont look bright in part 2 on the rain front but there is always hope for a surprise around the corner . ;-) ;-)..

the 20% -+ specification in the weatherflow hardware is way too high and the trained eye will pick up on that
its a bit like having your electric meter readings done with a device that has a 20% -+ tolerance  you could either pay upto 20% more or 20% less  or  an hifi amplifier that has the right channel running -+20%  you end up with an unbalanced sound ..-+20% is a considerable margin...

the keyword is consistency and sadly in the case of weatherflow rain performance it isnt quite there yet but i dont think their ready to throw in the towel just yet and has for rain check said the joker to the thief there’s too much confusion.....

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2019, 07:12:31 PM »
Unfortunately nothing beats a manual rain gauge. Even buckets cannot keep up with the tipping in heavy rain.

They need a system based on a a manual rain gauge that measures rainfall and empty after 12am or a time you select.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2019, 12:09:55 PM »
Well, the Met Stat thing is interesting.  Those people have a professional, young staff of engineers and meteorologists that put out a complex measuring formula.
I would like to just have their raw estimate of how much rain I got as a baseline to check my other gauges.  With Rain-Check, I guess that is basically what I am getting, so I can look at the WF at least as a paid subscription to their analysis.
The WF UV and brightness are a nice addition to my weather data, and there is not much reason to suspect the "Air" part of the system.  My Air sits in permanent shade on my back deck.  It is nice to know that it's not as cold at night or as hot in the daytime as my aspirated, shielded Pro II sitting up on the roof at over 25 feet.
My "Sky" is too low and between houses has little chance of giving me accurate winds, so I can't judge it.  But it should get ballpark rain totals, better than a 25 feet up tipping bucket.  But I guess Rain Check is the only way it can do that.  I should keep track of Sky's raw rain total compared to it's RC adjustment bumps.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2019, 12:36:57 PM »
If you want to see a closer side-by-side, here's my custom WeeWX report comparing the VP2 with the WF Air/Sky:

http://ae3.homelinux.net:845/weewx/compare.html

WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2019, 11:12:06 AM »
That looks better sited than my WF.  I knew I wouldn't be accurate on wind with the WF.  But I would like to see really good comparison between my Stratus manual gauge and WF, they are 2 feet apart on the same fence.  I might try to get them even closer.
The Rain-Check does get the rain total in the ballpark, so I guess it's good WF went to it.
Siting is the biggest challenge for the suburban weather enthusiast.  I have no great options.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2019, 01:25:21 PM »
Loved those 2 stations on the same chart comparisons.  I would like to do that, but WeeWx appears a bit over my head.  I have never used Linux and know nothing about it.

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2019, 01:08:59 AM »
as i said the other day part 2 or round 2  its called tempest and is another crowdfunding kickstarter project..

quote from wf

Tempest features a handful of hardware refinements, as well as the introduction of AI-powered forecast technology which will dramatically improve forecast accuracy at your house. All WeatherFlow station owners will benefit from the new AI-powered forecasting which will be rolled out as an app update in Q’1 2020.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 01:34:02 AM by weather34 »

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2019, 01:17:08 AM »
I'm very curious about the hardware changes. Hopefully they'll list the sensors used in the new model so I don't have to buy one just to tear it apart.

That said, it appears they're sticking with the same wind and rain tech. I was hoping for a different direction for precipitation.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 01:21:22 AM by doubleohwhatever »

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2019, 01:25:18 AM »
I'm very curious about the hardware changes. Hopefully they'll list the sensors used in the new model so I don't have to buy one just to tear it apart.

im sure in time if the adventurous testers are brave enough all will come to light , but note its an all in one solution so expect compromise in some specific readings . as always all in one solutions generally have some trade off unless you have a perfect urban environment. on first impression its a step forward but the seasonal changes will reveal just how good it is over the original.

i still hope for a optional rain solution not for false rain events issues but for relatively true accumulation values especially during long prolonged rain periods . if rain check thingy is still a part of the product then ill reserve its rain validation as suspicious..

note i see no means or mention of upgrading existing product other than signing up through the kickstarter campaign, perhaps weatherflow will offer some solution in the future i.e price for upgrading for existing users or may be not ..im sure some will feel hard done by in just over a year of original version being readily available and now something completely different , thats why you  got to just love Davis hardware approach of upgrading and introducing improvements..
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 01:43:44 AM by weather34 »

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2019, 10:30:39 AM »
I understand people's reservations about Rain Check.  But the literature on it does point out that the haptic system will continue to calibrate, "learn" with the help of rain check, each time a rain event occurs. 
To the extent that this is really happening, I like it.  I can't really calibrate my Davis bucket tipper unless I want to apply a constant offset, which I doubt many people go for.
I am confused about this new "Sky" pictured.  This is a new model (heck I have had mine a week and they didn't send one of those) or is this in the testing phase?

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2019, 11:13:31 AM »
I understand people's reservations about Rain Check.  But the literature on it does point out that the haptic system will continue to calibrate, "learn" with the help of rain check, each time a rain event occurs. 
To the extent that this is really happening, I like it.  I can't really calibrate my Davis bucket tipper unless I want to apply a constant offset, which I doubt many people go for.
I am confused about this new "Sky" pictured.  This is a new model (heck I have had mine a week and they didn't send one of those) or is this in the testing phase?

first and foremost rain check is not available to anyone outside USA and calibration long term is unproven I've seen good reports and bad reports,ive seen requests for it to be disabled and so on  .

yes a brand new model but yes I guess in testing phase and no means to upgrade existing product unless they will offer an exchange program of some sort best liaise  with them but the lack of upgradeability always concerned me going forward and not being in the USA the exchange or replacements,  timeframe  can be a costly exercise has they have no control import and local regulations, taxes and so on been there 6 six times at around $50 a time just for a replacement or test unit sent.

positives works with existing hub :-) for current owners 

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2019, 11:18:21 AM »
I'm glad this was posted, and now I see the word about the Tempest on their site.  It's frustrating that a new "Sky" is announced just over a week after I purchased the system.
I hear you, regarding the lack of Rain Check overseas, that has to be remedied.
I haven't had much rain so far to evaluate, but the one time there has been some rain, Rain Check brought the total from .26 up to .46.  I will be watching each time the total is adjusted after midnight to see how much is changed.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2019, 04:08:36 PM »
I'm glad this was posted, and now I see the word about the Tempest on their site.

Can someone provide a link to that? 

Thanks!

Offline Vertikar

« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2019, 04:26:45 PM »
I'm glad this was posted, and now I see the word about the Tempest on their site.

Can someone provide a link to that? 

Thanks!
Found the announcement on their community forums: https://community.weatherflow.com/t/new-tempest-weather-system/4444

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2019, 06:17:01 PM »
I would not go with kickstarter as your beta testing the hardware and software and have the most problems. When it's out of kickstarter and in production the hardware and software usually have refinements

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2019, 12:37:27 PM »
They are saying they will give existing WF owners a discount on the Tempest when it comes out.  Don't know if that means you keep the old Sky or exchange it. 

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2019, 05:06:56 PM »
Would be tricky for those who live outside the usa? Would proberly cost more to send back than the discount is worth?

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2019, 05:30:57 PM »
I noticed this bit from the WF staff:

"the functional difference would be nominal"

I have a feeling there's not going to be much progress in the hardware rain sensor accuracy. This is my guess on what the changes are/will be:

1) 360 degree solar panels
2) Integrated pressure, temp, hum, lightning sensors
3) Newer versions of existing sensors. For example, I believe the combo uv/light sensor they used in the sky is now EOL.

So yeah, some solid improvements but I think this is more about streamlining production and getting costs down (if the Air can indeed be deprecated).

Honestly, if they would just offer an optional wireless rain bucket unit then this would be a fairly solid consumer level weather station. I don't need/want AI to tell me what's going on in my backyard. I just need decent sensors.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2019, 05:45:53 PM »
Honestly, if they would just offer an optional wireless rain bucket unit
I realize this is not what you're after, but it is a quality option to at least view rain from inside the house.

https://rainwise.com/products/detail.php?ID=6692&Category=Rain_Gauges:Wireless&pageNum_cart=/products/index.php

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #120 on: October 16, 2019, 06:13:49 PM »
1) 360 degree solar panels

Those seem odd to me.  I guess it means they will work at any latitude, but they must be super-efficient given their size.

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2019, 07:08:25 PM »
Think integrated temp sensor is a step backward. Having sky and air separate makes WF much more versitile

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #122 on: October 16, 2019, 08:57:19 PM »
Those seem odd to me.  I guess it means they will work at any latitude, but they must be super-efficient given their size.

A few owners purchased spare solar panels for their Air units (which are supposed to be in the shade), and discovered that they charged adequately from even indirect sunlight.  Given this observation and also that they sell to folks south of the equator and have to make provisions for solar panels to face north for those locations, the 360 degree solar panels sorta make sense.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2019, 01:35:44 PM »
So the Air just becomes surplus equipment I guess. 
Apparently, they are combining all functions into the Tempest, along with all their excitement about AI forecasting.  I'm guessing, judging from comments guys have made, they are not as worried about the forecast as they are about the accurate measuring of wind and rain.

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2019, 02:48:37 PM »
A hugh set backward having all units built in one system. At 30 feet your not going to get accurate rain and temps. This will have the same issues as the 5 in 1 stations. Only get offical wind readings but everything else is wrong.