Author Topic: Possible New Config Utilizing WLL  (Read 873 times)

Offline stefanbagnato

• Contributor
Possible New Config Utilizing WLL
« on: June 02, 2022, 12:34:20 PM »
Due to availability, or lack thereof, of supported sensors, I am considering switching up my setup.  Currently, I have a wired VP2+.  It's wired to a Weather Envoy with a bellfryboy data logger, which is then connected to a custom server running Windows Server 2019.  To view the data, I am using CumulusMX with a customized dashboard.  CMX of course uses MySQL, and I use IIS to host my personal website.  The server hardware is about six years old and starting to go south (MySQL processing is starting to lag so much that CMX throws a constant alert that queries are timing out, although I keep a constant eye on it and it is still writing successfully to each table...for now).

Outside of building the new physical server, I have been looking into adding a second anemometer (separate post) which I am aware requires WLL.  However, before I go any direction, including building the new server, I want to make sure I fully understand all of the hardware/software required for this new potential setup.

-WLL plugs into my switch via ethernet, but it doesn't get connected to my server.  So therefore, I assume no local DB install needed since all data is "located" on Davis's systems?
-The above begs the question, can my existing 6 years of data be imported?
-If no DB, the server (unless used by "something else") is only need for IIS then?
-The VP2 is wired to the Envoy, which is wired via USB to the server.  How does this work with WLL?  I don't assume the ISS HAS to be wireless, does it?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Possible New Config Utilizing WLL
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 01:27:28 PM »

-WLL plugs into my switch via ethernet, but it doesn't get connected to my server.  So therefore, I assume no local DB install needed since all data is "located" on Davis's systems?-The above begs the question, can my existing 6 years of data be imported?-If no DB, the server (unless used by "something else") is only need for IIS then?-The VP2 is wired to the Envoy, which is wired via USB to the server.  How does this work with WLL?  I don't assume the ISS HAS to be wireless, does it?

For the WLL the ISS has to be wireless.
The WLL is wireless or ethernet to your router and this sends the live data to Weatherlink.com (WL.com) where it is saved at 15 minute interval with the free WL.com account.  This can be reduced to 5-min or 1-minute with a paid WL.com subscription.  WLL is a "data logger" only to send data to WL.com in the event there is a shut down or interruption of internet between the WLL and WL.com - i.e. power loss. 

You can access the WL.com live data from a browser or through the Weatherlink App.  With a WL.com paid subscription you can also access all the historical data and charts.

Third party programs like CumulusMX can access the live WLL data so it can run its normal way with its normal monthly logs, dayfile.txt, CumulusDB, etc., in basically the same way that it runs with a USB or serial logger.  The difference being that only with a WL.com paid subscription can CumulusMX access the historical data - i.e. that catch up in the event CumulusMX is shut down and restarted later (the catch up comes from the cloud rather than the local logger). 

WL.com can import data from the Weatherlink PC data but not from any other source.
Import historical data from the WeatherLink Computer Software to the WeatherLink Cloud.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline stefanbagnato

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 04:07:57 PM »
Paul,

Appreciate the response.  I kind of figured regarding the ISS having to be wireless.  Another expense, but understood.  I've been running CMX for quite some time now.  Considering WD, but not sure yet.  All of the data is displayed on my website, although to be honest, that gets neglected as I mainly only focus on CMX, which I also have forwarding to WU as that is linked back to my (and my neighbors) irrigation controller.  I used Meteotemplate for a long time but around the 2020 holidays switched it up and customized a CMX template for the website.

I would go the WLL paid route as I want minute intervals and would also want the historical data.  I guess I will need to determine what my end goals are as this has spawned from building a new server (was going to anyway) to now replacing most of my infrastructure haha!

Offline stefanbagnato

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 04:12:50 PM »
As an add-on to the wired/wireless ISS conversation, when I purchased the VP2 in 2016, I chose to go the wired route due to past experiences with wireless.  My first VP2 was purchased in the early 2000's.  I know the wireless tech Davis utilizes has modernized since then, but the station was mounted on the roof above my bedroom, no more than 20' line-of-site away.  Yet, I would still experience data drops, especially in bad weather.  My current VP2 is in the backyard, approx 125' from my office.  This of course is well within the 1000' advertised range of the VP2, but I guess hesitancy rooted in ancient issues is why I have not gone the wireless route.

Offline stefanbagnato

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 04:36:12 PM »
I am going down a mental rabbit hole here  :grin:

The wireless ISS PCBA is $215 through Davis (a bit cheaper through third parties).  However, that still needs to be powered.  The solar panel kit of course costs extra.  Since the wireless board retains the RJ11 port, would it be functionally possible to power it via the existing cable that runs out there?  IE have the data transmitted wireless to a WLL but power supplied via the existing Envoy?  Or would it effectively be "confused" since there are two paths for the data to travel?

The solar sensors were added 3 summers ago, and the rest of the sensors were replaced last fall using the maintenance kit Davis sells.  So while I know cost-wise it might make more sense to just sell the wired station and buy a wireless, basically everything is already new besides the housing itself (even the radiation fan was replaced).

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2022, 12:44:21 PM »
The wireless ISS board can be powered externally, but I *think* it has to be done via the small DC socket rather than data RJ socket like the wired version. So you'd have to change the plug on the end of your cable.
Mark