Author Topic: Davis Temperature Probe 6477 removing rj11 connector  (Read 472 times)

Offline stefanbagnato

• Contributor
Davis Temperature Probe 6477 removing rj11 connector
« on: June 08, 2022, 05:13:15 PM »
In designing a potential station configuration, I plan to use a Leaf Wetness / Soil Moisture Transmitter to also monitor the air temperature inside my shed (along with the leaf wetness and soil moisture outside of it).  The transmitter only has rj11 connectors for the leaf wetness sensors and has terminal blocks for the temperature (and soil moisture) sensors.  Since the stainless steel two wire temp sensor (6470) is $65, the stainless steel rj11 temp sensor (6475) is $55, and the "regular" rj11 temp sensor (6477) is $30, my thought was to buy a "regular" sensor, cut the rj11 connector off, and then wire that to one of the block sets on the transmitter.

Has anybody done this?  I would presume it works just fine?

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
Re: Davis Temperature Probe 6477 removing rj11 connector
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 09:41:03 PM »
It works fine i am using the sensor on my soil/moisture station.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 03:53:17 AM »
AIUI it's exactly the same sensor element so it should work fine. But IIRC the 6477 cable is just standard cable whereas the 6470 is 'ruggedized' to withstand eg long-term burial better.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline stefanbagnato

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 07:58:28 AM »
It works fine i am using the sensor on my soil/moisture station.

So to confirm, cutting off the connector reveals only the two wires (and the other two pins of the rj11 are blank) right?

AIUI it's exactly the same sensor element so it should work fine. But IIRC the 6477 cable is just standard cable whereas the 6470 is 'ruggedized' to withstand eg long-term burial better.

Okay cool.  Yes, that is one thing I will consider.  Since the transmitter will be located adjacent to my main station and the shed is about 60ft away, I will probably go with the "rugged" cable just because.

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 12:23:15 PM »
Put yellow and green together and red and black together and i have had mine in uses for years without any problem with the cable other than field mice chewing it up so i put a piece of pvc pipe  over the leads going into the ground a few inches and haven't had anymore problems.

anything