Author Topic: James Webb Space Telescope has been aligned  (Read 823 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
James Webb Space Telescope has been aligned
« on: March 17, 2022, 05:54:55 PM »
This image was released showing the final alignment of the mirrors.  Still a lot of sensor calibration to do.

Note, looking about in the image, all the light points, and upon closer inspection, almost all are galaxies!  In all meanings of the term, awesome and awe inspiring.

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/telescope_alignment_evaluation_image_labeled.png

PS I tried inserting the image, but the server balked and told me it was too big, so I put the link in.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: James Webb Space Telescope has been aligned
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 06:36:04 PM »
And this is live coverage of our new "moon rocket" being carted out to the launch pad for a dress rehearsal.  =D>

https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 07:45:32 PM »
For those of us who grew up on a constant feed of info (no internet, just newspapers, magazines and the occasional newsreel and TV news) this is almost like a return to the good old days.

On the other hand, when SpaceX (yes a private company) was about to launch their latest group of pesky satellites, I couldn't find a live view of their launch since they were in control over the media, although it was launched from a US  Government facility.  I got a live count  down clock and my friend in Orlando saw the take off, but I thought for sure we'd be able to watch coverage.

Oh well.  The more science in the news, the better.

I miss Cassini.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 08:40:41 PM »
Nice to know that a 18M pixel image is in the thumbnails directory

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 09:00:29 PM »
For those of us who grew up on a constant feed of info (no internet, just newspapers, magazines and the occasional newsreel and TV news) this is almost like a return to the good old days.
Thought the same thing. I vaguely remember Apollo 1 when our three astronauts died, but by Apollo 8, I was all over it like a wet blanket. Watching Water Cronkite on CBS during missions was a staple as well.

Nice to see something other than death and destruction and gloom for a change..

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2022, 09:23:31 AM »
I miss those days in the late 60's etc, I was on the Saturn II test team at the Mississippi test facility and could have gone to the Cape on the launch team or Clear Lake at the NASA control center but opted (or my wife "Jaws" did?) to go to Ohio as a Tech Rep to the Air Force PMEL center. But those were great days.

anything