Author Topic: WLLogger  (Read 2537 times)

Offline JECO

WLLogger
« on: March 12, 2022, 01:10:26 PM »
Considering replacing my Davis logger with the 3rd party WL Logger to avoid my weather station disconnections caused by computer shutdowns when automatic software upgrades are performed. My question: Will the WL Logger continue downloading to the weather data files on my computer or will I be forced to have a new set of files? Hope my question is clear.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Re: WLLogger
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 02:47:37 PM »
Your computer software should be still able to access the Logger via say IP while the Logger pauses its regular uploads.

That's how I have any PC with software getting data from the WiFi Logger or the Erhernet Ligger......TCP IP
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 02:49:32 PM by davidmc36 »

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 05:32:29 PM »
I have a serial logger on one computer and a USB logger on another. When I restart either computer both loggers continue to record data until the weather software starts up. The data is downloaded and nothing is missed. I don't have any real disconnection.

By disconnection do you mean your weather software doesn't see your station ? You have to plug and unplug it or power cycle it to get it back up ?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022, 05:50:25 AM »
TBH the question isn't 100% clear, but guessing at what is being asked:

Software on a PC has to be up and running before it can accept data from a logger. If a Windows update requires the PC to reboot, as is often the case, then the WL-compatible program will not automatically restart, unless some specific provision has been made for this to happen, eg a start on boot setting or some third-party start-up scheduler. So my answer is no, the nature of the logger makes no difference to downloads surviving a Windows update. (Uploads from eg a WiFi Logger to online platforms such as Weather Underground or WOW will be unaffected by a local PC reboot, but I don't think that's the question you're asking?)

The most bulletproof form of local data logging is to run a program like CumulusMX or maybe weewx on a Raspberry Pi. Relatively simple to set up (at least for CumulusMX) and AFAIK there are no automatic operating system updates or other reasons (short of an extended power outage) why the Pi can't keep running for many months on end.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 07:39:19 AM »
Yes. Somewhat unclear question.

I took it as an attempt to end the use of the unreliabke PC software doing the uploads to internet yet continue to store data from logger into the same software and contiguous database on that PC.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 07:59:53 AM »
Yes. Somewhat unclear question.

I took it as an attempt to end the use of the unreliabke PC software doing the uploads to internet yet continue to store data from logger into the same software and contiguous database on that PC.

Yes, that's certainly another interpretation. Maybe the OP can clarify?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 09:57:42 AM »
Maybe the OP is using his PC software to send to WL, WU, etc. and his "disconnect" is during the PC restarting. A Wifilogger would solve this problem. That's what I use my Wifilogger for.

I have a serial logger connected to the weather computer which has proven more reliable against Windows Updates and drivers getting broken. Now as to the "Unreliable PC Software"... the only unreliable thing I have run across is WU..

Offline JECO

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2022, 10:51:59 AM »
Sorry for the confusing question I posed. Many neighbors of mine use my weather station on PWSWeather for current conditions and the forecast. When my computer does not automatically turn back on after an update, the current weather conditions on PWSWeather are hopelessly out of date which is frustrating to me and my neighbors. I think Garth Bock understands perfectly why I am interested in using the WiGiLogger to solve that problem. But I am still wondering whether the new logger will simply add data to my existing files or create another new set of files. Having two sets will make it necessary to manually calculate averages and to determine highs and lows for the current year. Thanks for all of your replies,

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2022, 11:00:59 AM »
I understood your question then.

The WiFi logger will upload directly to PWS Weather and continue adding to your existing station data. Just put in the credentials as required.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2022, 11:01:32 AM »
Well, as I said: 'Uploads from eg a WiFi Logger to online platforms such as Weather Underground or WOW will be unaffected by a local PC reboot'. So if you have an upload to PWS set in WiFi Logger then that will continue unaffected. But data and files maintained by any program running on a local PC won't survive a PC reboot any better than is the case at present.

So it depends which question is more important to you:

Yes, uploads to PWS (if managed by the logger) could continue. But, no data storage on the local PC won't continue. This assumes that you're going to transfer control of eg the PWS uploads from your existing software to the WiFi Logger, which is a key part of the answer.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2022, 11:06:13 AM »
....."Unreliable PC Software"... .....

Well yeah, actually the PC being the unreliable part.........Must have lost one unit a dozen times in the last year but the RPi and Wojtek's loggers keep right on going.

Running those type of units with UPS backup is basically bulletproof.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2022, 11:37:03 AM »
I do have the WiFiLogger and that updates directly to https://www.pwsweather.com/station/pws/KOMOKA2 and other sites, including weatherlink.com, as long as there is internet connection.  WiFiLogger on its own cannot save data to a PC.  On my PC I use WiFiLogger with CumulusMX (or I could use WiFiLogger with WeatherlinkPC) to save the data logs and do the uploads and all the other things these programs can do.

In my case, whenever PC is shutdown by a Windows update the PC restarts but this PC restart does not automatically restart the programs.  For that I have installed Startwatch on PC http://www.softwx.com/windows/startwatch.html  and that starts all the programs I want in specified order whenever the PC restarts or when the program shuts down.  This is a great program to keep things running or restarting quickly on its own.

Enjoy,
Paul

anything