Author Topic: Importing 13 years / 1.26 million records into WL.com - feasible?  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
Re: Importing 13 years / 1.26 million records into WL.com - feasible?
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2022, 08:47:43 AM »
@Bashy, having given it considerable thought even if I managed to import 13 years of data into my account what the software offers me over what I have with Cumulus is simply not worth the money or effort.

My email to support last April on another topic was never answered so this isn’t a one-off. It appears to be a policy for overseas customers. Their kit is great. Their support is non existent as far as I’m concerned.

I agree with your there, weatherlink.com is rather redundant for us that already have the means to collect our data and upload it to our own sites. but the actual WLL device is worth having, you don't need to bother with weatherlink.com side of it if ya don't want to
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2022, 09:27:04 AM »
I agree with your there, weatherlink.com is rather redundant for us that already have the means to collect our data and upload it to our own sites. but the actual WLL device is worth having, you don't need to bother with weatherlink.com side of it if ya don't want to

Without being able to access the data - especially historic - I don't see the point. It cannot upload to my website should the netbook suffer a problem. And to see historic there's a price to pay. Plus it's not visible to the public - just other WLL subscribers. No ta!

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2022, 10:03:04 AM »
Their kit could be the best there is, but if you can't get support It's as much use as a chocolate fireguard
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2022, 11:02:01 AM »
Since getting the VP2 nearly 14 years ago I have used Davis Support a number of times via telephone and got excellent advice and help.  Also on non-urgent or weekend/holidays I've used email and always received a reply, sometimes just an immediate auto-acknowledgement at first and then followed by an actual reply to my issue and good follow up when needed.

I have my WLL data on Weatherlink.com and quite satisfied with it.  I have not yet imported my nearly 14 years of WLPC .wlk data to my WL.com WLL account as I am also still running the WLPC with an Envoy but Davis has given me the information I've requested on doing that import whenever I am ready.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2022, 12:53:10 PM »
Davis finally replied to me today 10 days after my post. They explained WeatherLink v6 is required for the export. As that version cannot be installed with Windows XP that rules out any possible upload and purchase of the WLL.

I also mentioned I wouldn’t buy it until the WLL Pro software had an edit option to clean up any dirty data.

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2022, 07:22:34 AM »
The issue you have, Ray, is that you are creating your own problems to some degree. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way, but I'll try to explain..

First off, I concur with regards to Davis support..

The main problem you have, is being on Windows XP. The reason for that? Cumulus MX won't run on XP.. So, you'd need to upgrade a later OS. Unfortunately, you're happy with the older Cumulus - I completely understand your views on that. However,  technology has, and still is, moving on.. it is inevitable that people will get left behind unless they keep up with it. In this situation, not upgrading to say, Windows 10 and moving over to Cumulus MX, you are leaving yourself with less and less options, it's impossible for companies to keep supporting older versions of software, eventually their resources have to move forward. Again, please don't think I am prodding you on it, I have no issues with that, it's just for the purpose of this reply.

IF you ever decided, "sod it, I'll do it" You'd get lots of help from folks to get Cumulus MX running, and your website sorted.

Do you have another PC with Windows 10 or something, on it? You could install Weatherlink 6 on it, copy the weather history from your current set up, to a USB stick, and transfer it over to the newer system to do your data fixing and importing?!

When switching over to the WLL last month, I just started my data as a new weather station. I have never used Weatherlink software to gather my data, so there's nothing to import. The 6 years of data I do have, is stored in my SQL data base, and with the Cumulus installation itself. That's the most important thing for me- website comes first, Davis second.

Whenever I do anything drastic, such as do a new website, I leave the current one alone, and work on the new stuff (as and when) on the side, so that it doesn't affect visitors or create any downtime. Same applies to switching hardware or even software. When I am happy that everything is working correctly, I can make the switch nice & quickly, but still have the "older" stuff right there, in case anything goes wrong.

Sometimes, you have to dip your toe in to the water to see how warm it is! It's worth it in the end.

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2022, 08:00:26 AM »
Mapantz, firstly, nothing you have posted has caused upset.  [tup]

But given this topic is about a WLL unit and account I fail to understand why CMX needs mentioning. It’s not related to this issue.

One of the primary reasons I’ve decided against WLL is because no uploaded data can be edited. In that respect it’s no different to WU but WU is free whereas the charges for a WLL Pro account are 40GBP / annum. For that I expect more.

I also fail to understand why WeatherLink v6 is required for the upload of data. It’s not been explained by Davis Support why it is. John Dann at ProData seems to think uploads are possible with 5.9.x.

So until Davis allow editing of uploaded data and the import process is a little more friendly I won’t be bothering.

As for CMX that requires an awful lot of webpage editing to achieve the same result as now. Maybe that explains why I’m reluctant to change from the status quo until such time as I’m forced to.

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2022, 11:04:18 AM »

Hi Ray,
I also fail to understand why WeatherLink v6 is required for the upload of data. It’s not been explained by Davis Support why it is. John Dann at ProData seems to think uploads are possible with 5.9.x.

In their support reply to me Davis said that my current WLPC version v6.0.2 needs to be updated to the latest version 6.0.5 because "the headers are different and there are some other subtle differences".

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2022, 11:49:11 AM »
Thanks Paul. Just as well I didn’t buy it and find this out afterwards.

Offline Mchd17

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2022, 05:05:57 PM »
I imported close to 4 years of data to WLL, no issues. But i'm not near what you would be importing.

Davis support is not good at all. Some emails get answered and some never do.

anything