Author Topic: Average life of a PWS. What's your experience?  (Read 7053 times)

Offline Bperry119

Re: Average life of a PWS. What's your experience?
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2021, 01:12:36 PM »
I have a Davis PV2, located in Florida.  It is now 18 years old. 
I've replace 1 temp sensor and 1 fan.  Other than that, I take it down about once a year to clean it and inspect. 
Its been through lots of 95+ degree days and 7 hurricanes including 2 direct hits. 
I don't think I could ask or expect more from a piece of equipment.  I'd buy another one in a heartbeat

Offline petec2

• Glynsk, Connemara, Co.Galway, Ireland
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2021, 11:31:11 AM »
I've had a davis VP2 since 2011. I have had to replace the outdoor temp/hum sensor twice in that time and the anemometer once (latter gave up again last year but WD40 fixed it). the FARS fan broke years ago. gave up on that
the weather here can be very wild with 120kph winds and very damp. i've been pleased with the unit and it has done well considering an atlantic seaboard setting
pete
ps november 2021 the supercap in iss went leaky. i replaced supercap following great advice on this site. working again now
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 01:00:47 PM by petec2 »

Offline azkiwi

• Senior Contributor
    • Maricopa, Sonoran Desert, Arizona
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2021, 12:22:04 PM »
I have a LaCrosse ws-2310/15.  Had it since Nov 2002, and it's still chugging along. Kinda remarkable  as it's been in the Sonoran Desert since 2006.  Things replaced - 1) Anemometer twice, one for damage when a haboob took down the pole, around 2014/5, and 2) rain gauge once. Is it totally accurate?  Rain gauge is off by .2 inches after a 5 in storm, and the humidity sensor doesn't register when its 5% or lower.

I've talked with AZ State University abut the errors etc.   Temp reads a little cool (1 degree, maybe 2 at 0600 or so), but got good news from them.  Since it's been in the desert for 15 years, there's a certain degree of validity to the figures as they are over a pretty good period.   U of A Ag center uses my data and log files very often....

When it finally bites the dust, it won''t be replaced.

Ken
So, all in all I'm happy.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2021, 05:30:13 PM »
I have an Acurite 5in1 that's been running since January of 2016. No issues.

Offline zazzy

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2021, 08:56:42 AM »
My Vantage Pro2 is less than 3 years old. New and out of the box, the anemometer didn't work and I've had 3 different anemometers since then. Earlier this year, I had to buy and replace the control board and now the rain gauge isn't working. Their tech support is practically non-existent and it typically takes weeks before any hardware problem is diagnosed and fixed.

In the meantime, I've resorted to using a spare stainless steel dog bowl as a rain gauge.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2021, 10:43:14 AM »
I have/had an original VP one which it wasn't called, and a few years ago the temp/humidity bit the dust, but the solar and wind and barometer continue to work.  The Anemometer then got tired and squeeky, and a nearby lightning stroke sort of took it out.  How long ago, maybe I got it early 2000s, but since then there are reports of less robust stuff.

I have a few Heathkit 4001 and 5001 s that have been retired due to issues, but the old 4001 a friend has is still working.  Is that late 1990s?

Texas Weather Instruments, four of them running just fine, with the issue of maintaining humidity sensors, but there are work arounds for those if you want.  One is certainly 20 years old. 

Peet Brothers is another I've had excellent luck with the original which I got at Dayton Hamvention, again an ancient station.  Just recently a storm broke the wind direction indicator, but after all that time in the hot sun year after year, I can't complain, but cannot climb up to replace the sensor myself and finding a climber nowadays is hard.  That station is again over 15 years old.

And the RM Young stuff just keeps chugging along.  Well over a decade old, maybe some parts even 15 years. 

Maybe I'm just lucky.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Daali

• weather n00b
  • Senior Contributor
    • The weather in Jefferson, GA
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2021, 05:08:29 PM »
My ambient 6.5 year old WS-1400 IP just died, but it had help.  I accidentally killed it.  The rain gauge was not working due to normal bugs and stuff.  I went to clean it and got a little aggressive with the bleach.  Long story short, I killed the temp/humidity sensor but fixed the rain gauge LOL.  FWIW: the observer IP has always struggled through the firmware versions; seems with every firmware there is a certain timeframe where the device will hang/lock up, which means you have to smartplug it to automate powercycles.

Going this time with all Fine Offset/Ecowitt sensors and the GW1000 with Meteobridge.

Offline dow

• Village Idiot in training
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2021, 11:02:26 AM »
I realize this is a late post to this thread, but I figured I'd put my two cents in anyway.

I got an Ambient Weather WS-1400-IP for Father's day six years ago.  First array was damaged 11 months later in a hail storm (my home owner's insurance covered it, woo hoo!!).  Second array lasted until about two years ago, when the humidity sensor failed.  I figured that if one sensor was failing, then the rest would soon follow, so I replaced it with a WS-2902 array, which has been great.  While I know that the Davis systems are great, I'm pretty darn happy with mine.  Not counting the array paid for by insurance, I've got maybe $280 in this system, so that means that so far, it's cost me about $3.78 per month.  Is it the best weather system out there? No it isn't.  Are there things I wish were different about it?  Yep, I'd love to have separate sensors instead of a single array.  The WS-2902 array is a good compromise, I think.  Regardless, it does what it was designed to do, and I have no complaints.  :grin: :grin:
https://www.pwsweather.com/station/pws/ktxboern48
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.

Offline Bperry119

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2021, 08:56:48 AM »
I have a Davis VP2 that is 19 years old.  It’s based in Florida and has been through 7 hurricanes in that time(2 direct hits). In that time I’ve replaced a temp/humidity sensor and the fan. Once each.  Other than that, it’s been flawless.
After almost 20 years the white plastic housings are oxidized by sunlight and in need of replacement, but I’m incredibly impressed with the Davis quality and durability.

Offline zazzy

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2021, 01:08:28 PM »
I have a Davis VP2 that is 19 years old.
It's possible that 16 years before I bought mine, they were well made. Then sometime years later, they started selling expensive junk.

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2021, 01:36:11 PM »
The first 5 in one by Acurite went 2 years, the second unit was a Ambient WS1400 IP and went 5 years and I replaced the array with a 1401 and am now into the 3rd year with that replacement. I was thinking of a VP2 but it most likely will outlast me.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 01:48:23 PM by Weatheroger »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2021, 01:58:16 PM »
I have a Davis VP2 that is 19 years old.
It's possible that 16 years before I bought mine, they were well made. Then sometime years later, they started selling expensive junk.

Just as a matter of fact that is simply not true. Of course it is possible to get an individual bad example of any man-made product. But I would say that the quality of the VP2 stations has been consistently improving over the past several years, especially on sensor reliability - rain, T/H and anemometer are all definitely better than they were 10-15 years ago. That said, all of these sensors have a finite service life - it's difficult to make a sensor that lives out in the weather year-round and that lasts forever. But somewhere in the 4-10 year window is par for the course for an individual sensor and depending on environment, barring mechanical damage, lightning strikes etc.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline zazzy

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2021, 08:30:41 PM »
But somewhere in the 4-10 year window is par for the course for an individual sensor and depending on environment, barring mechanical damage, lightning strikes etc.
That doesn't explain multiple failures, out of the box and within 3 years, of multiple components in a mild climate.

Maybe I was sold junk and Davis doesn't care. They got their money for a new weather station and the money for the replacement parts.

If I have to pay for replacement parts every 6-9 months, I'll make them pay by preventing new buyers from buying Davis junk. It's just business.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 08:36:16 PM by zazzy »

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2021, 09:33:59 PM »
But somewhere in the 4-10 year window is par for the course for an individual sensor and depending on environment, barring mechanical damage, lightning strikes etc.
That doesn't explain multiple failures, out of the box and within 3 years, of multiple components in a mild climate.

Maybe I was sold junk and Davis doesn't care. They got their money for a new weather station and the money for the replacement parts.

If I have to pay for replacement parts every 6-9 months, I'll make them pay by preventing new buyers from buying Davis junk. It's just business.

Every product has examples of individual buyers getting snake bitten. I wouldn't say one example dilutes the success of many.

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2021, 09:38:40 PM »
Like so many products. Being in the Automotive industry for over 30 years I have seen some customers have nothing but problems with their cars and others only need maintenance. Karma? I have also heard the expression, never buy a car built on Friday.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2021, 09:50:31 PM »

I have three VP2s that I have acquired over the years and are still using now. They are great tools and in my case, reliable. One is about 10 years old and going strong. I have found Davis support very good and availability of replacement parts excellent and reasonably priced. None of my 3 consoles have ever required repair or “tweaking.” The integrated sensor suite (ISS) requires normal modest cleaning which can easily be done by the average pws owner. I think Davis’ weak points are its humidity-temperature sensor, rain gauges that are inconsistent during heavy rain and its datalogger to upload data to WU and other locations on the internet. The Humidity-temperature sensor I don’t have a good answer for—I just live with its impossible answer that humidity never reaches 100%, but the rain gauge can be easily replaced with the Rainwise 111 gauge (instead, I use the CoCo gauge for accurate rainfall measurements and update and correct my WL software accordingly) and the Davis datalogger is easily replaced, and enhanced, with the outstanding WiFiLogger—available in the United States at Scaled Instruments or elsewhere in the world from Prodata Weather Systems in the United Kingdom.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 11:36:03 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline jennajon

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2021, 10:53:47 AM »
I have a Davis Vantage 2 Pro Plus and have had it for 18 years. Moved from IL to AZ to ME and its still running, but getting tired. Ongoing issues with the rain spoons (I HATE THOSE) and the anemometer was replaced last year. She has done her job well, but now I am looking at changing this entire setup to a Ambient Weather WS5000. It will mean saying goodbye to all those other sites that I have uploaded info to for so many years (AWEKAS, MET OFFICE, PWS WEATHER etc-unless someone knows how I can work around that), and also saying goodbye to WeatherCat software, which I have used the entire time.

It is sad--but to refurbish this Davis would be quite a bit of money--and the tech really is beginning to show its age.

If anyone has any comments, ideas or flotsam to throw this way--please post a reply??

Thanks in advance.

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2021, 11:54:59 AM »
I have a Davis Vantage 2 Pro Plus and have had it for 18 years. Moved from IL to AZ to ME and its still running, but getting tired. Ongoing issues with the rain spoons (I HATE THOSE) and the anemometer was replaced last year. She has done her job well, but now I am looking at changing this entire setup to a Ambient Weather WS5000. It will mean saying goodbye to all those other sites that I have uploaded info to for so many years (AWEKAS, MET OFFICE, PWS WEATHER etc-unless someone knows how I can work around that), and also saying goodbye to WeatherCat software, which I have used the entire time.

It is sad--but to refurbish this Davis would be quite a bit of money--and the tech really is beginning to show its age.

If anyone has any comments, ideas or flotsam to throw this way--please post a reply??

Thanks in advance.

I upgraded from Ambient Weather to my VP2+ a year ago. I'm also using the new Davis WLL 6100. I absolutely love the new Davis Android phone app. I've never used the old teeter totter spoon as mine came with the new single spoon. I'm very pleased with my upgrade to Davis.

Ambient Weather does have a large following on the forum. Good luck with your decision.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2021, 12:43:43 PM »

Thanks in advance.

Read the reviews of the WS5000 on Amazon. Some are positive but several are negative, but a common theme is poor customer service and less than desirable longevity. Say what you want about Davis enhancements over the years—in particular the spoon rain tipper, in my view, is a step backwards, the temperature -humidity sensor is less than desirable (how can a humidity sensor never record humidity at 100% even in a pouring rainstorm for hours?). Davis stands behind its products and has most replacement parts readily available. Have you contacted Davis to get a price on refurbishing your unit?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 02:19:52 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline jennajon

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2021, 11:59:20 PM »
Thank you for your reply.

After 18 years, almost everything would need to be replaced in order for it to function another 18 years.  I wanted a heated rain collector (those parts alone would be over $300), the new sonar anemometer would be $500...so in short order I am looking at close to  $1000 to refurbish, the entire cost of the machine was $1400.

I do not trust Amazon reviews at all, I do use ReviewMeta.com for a more reliable snapshot of reviews. I have never had the occasion to contact Davis for any customer support, so I can not speak to their services.

Finally, the Davis unit it showing its design age. I am in no way complaining about their products but I realize there are design flaws and issues that only become more pronounced as the machine ages.

Many thanks for your suggestions and thoughts!

Offline CamarilloWX

• CamarilloWX
  • Senior Contributor
    • Camarillo Weather
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2021, 12:21:52 AM »
Thank you for your reply.

After 18 years, almost everything would need to be replaced in order for it to function another 18 years.  I wanted a heated rain collector (those parts alone would be over $300), the new sonar anemometer would be $500...so in short order I am looking at close to  $1000 to refurbish, the entire cost of the machine was $1400.

I do not trust Amazon reviews at all, I do use ReviewMeta.com for a more reliable snapshot of reviews. I have never had the occasion to contact Davis for any customer support, so I can not speak to their services.

Finally, the Davis unit it showing its design age. I am in no way complaining about their products but I realize there are design flaws and issues that only become more pronounced as the machine ages.

Many thanks for your suggestions and thoughts!

Have you considered sending it to Davis for refurbishing?  I am getting ready to send in my Vantage Pro 2 with 24 HR FARS and was quoted $200 plus shipping.  I was provided a quote over the phone by calling Davis Tech Support.
Eric

Offline jennajon

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2021, 12:41:59 AM »
CamarilloWX:

Thank you for the reply---and actually that is my next step! Keeping the Davis running for another 3-4 years for $200 seems very attractive. Perhaps they could also replace that rain unit. Through it all? My FARS is still running like a top!

Will give them a call today.

=D>

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2021, 08:30:54 AM »
CamarilloWX:

Thank you for the reply---and actually that is my next step! Keeping the Davis running for another 3-4 years for $200 seems very attractive. Perhaps they could also replace that rain unit. Through it all? My FARS is still running like a top!

=D>

Since you have the plus version, expect to pay more than $200! When you do get a price from Davis, please post it here—it will be useful information.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2021, 02:01:05 PM »
the refurb is well worth the money

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline jennajon

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2021, 12:44:52 AM »
CamarilloWX:

=D>

Since you have the plus version, expect to pay more than $200! When you do get a price from Davis, please post it here—it will be useful information.

As requested!
Price quoted for refurbishment of VP2+ with FARS/Solar is as follows from Arturo:
Hello Jenna,

We do offer a repair service for your Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ fan.  The fee on this service is $200.00 plus shipping cost back to you.  The repair fee will include all work and any parts needed.  You will want to send the station to the address below.  Please include inside the box a note with your name, return address, telephone number and email.  Currently, the turnaround time once we receive the station is about 2 weeks.

Davis Instruments

Attn: Repairs

3465 Diablo Ave

Hayward, CA 94545

Art Sapiandante

Customer Support