Author Topic: Professional Weather Monitoring system for agriculture  (Read 1044 times)

Offline lpfernandes

Professional Weather Monitoring system for agriculture
« on: October 28, 2021, 07:53:31 AM »
Hi,

I'm relatively new to the whole topic of weather monitoring and I would like to seek some advice/recommendations for the purchase of a weather monitoring system. I'm building a new farm that will have a large solar array with battery storage that will provide power to a irrigation system.
The purpose of the weather monitoring system is to provide input for the farm control system that will make automated decisions for the irrigation, water capture, fertilization, battery charging, etc
The sensors that I would like to have are the following:

TEMPERATURE   
HUMIDITY   
ATM PRESSURE   
WIND SPEED   
WIND DIRECTION   
PRECIPITATION
SOLAR RADIATION

I don't need any datalogger or screen as all the data will be integrated with the system, and I would like to have high accuracy sensors. The budget is between 3000-3500 Euros, ideally I would like a single system that incorporated all those parameters from where I can export the data to my system in real time; but I'm willing to look at individual sensors that can be integrated with Arduino or Raspberry Pi.
The location typical weather ranges from -5C to 45C over the year and is very rare to snow.

Well look forward to hear back from the community and thanks in advance.

Offline zoomx

• Senior Contributor
Re: Professional Weather Monitoring system for agriculture
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 04:39:06 PM »
Maibe a Vaisala wxt536 but it doesn't have the SOLAR RADIATION  sensor, maybe it can be added.

It outputs data in SDI-12, RS232, RS485, you can configure that. The great advantage is the pluviometer that is not mechanic so the maintenance is very reduced.

You can get prices in the Vaisala Web site, you can put your configuratione and you get the price.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 07:15:00 PM »
So what type of inputs does the farm control system require?

Lufft make a compact all-in-one system with at least those minimum parameters which should be within your budget (?) which can interface to RS485 protocols UMB-Binary, UMB-ASCII, Modbus-RTU, Modbus-ASCII, XDR and SDI-12 

Offline lpfernandes

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 04:03:10 AM »
Maibe a Vaisala wxt536 but it doesn't have the SOLAR RADIATION  sensor, maybe it can be added.

It outputs data in SDI-12, RS232, RS485, you can configure that. The great advantage is the pluviometer that is not mechanic so the maintenance is very reduced.

You can get prices in the Vaisala Web site, you can put your configuratione and you get the price.

Hi, thanks for the reply and the suggestion I had a look at the equipment and it looks quite good but not certain about the precipitation sensor
The precipitation measurements metrics are the following:

Collecting area 60 cm2(9.3 in2)
Output resolution 0.01 mm (0.001 in)
Field accuracy for daily accumulation Better than 5 %, weather-dependent
Duration Counting each 10‑second increment whenever droplet detected
Duration output resolution 10 s
Intensity Running 1‑minute average, 10 s steps
Intensity observation range 0 ... 200 mm/h (0 ... 7.87 in/h) (broader with reduced accuracy)
Intensity output resolution 0.1 mm/h (0.01 in/h)

Since these are sensors that use drop impact and drop density can the reported  "Better than 5 %" accuracy be trusted in field conditions? Also can someone comment on the general accuracy and performance of this type of sensors?

Thanks

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 04:15:47 AM »
Davis do the EnviroMonitor range for agricultural use.
Mark

Offline lpfernandes

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 05:05:06 AM »
Davis do the EnviroMonitor range for agricultural use.

Thanks for the suggestion but those are more geared towards wireless nodes for remote locations, I'm looking at main weather monitor system that will be located in a powered warehouse together with solar system and irrigation system equipment.

Offline lpfernandes

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 06:38:58 AM »
So what type of inputs does the farm control system require?

Lufft make a compact all-in-one system with at least those minimum parameters which should be within your budget (?) which can interface to RS485 protocols UMB-Binary, UMB-ASCII, Modbus-RTU, Modbus-ASCII, XDR and SDI-12

Great thanks for the recommendation, I had a look the offer from Lufft and seems like the following station WS 700-UMB has all the required sensors and it can export as SDI-12. Also it uses a 24 GHz Doppler radar to measure precipitation that seems to be quite accurate.
The required inputs are just the raw sensor data, I built system myself integrate data from the solar systems, water reservoirs and now will integrate the weather conditions parameters.

Offline Stefan

• Chengdu Hongyuv Technology Co.,Ltd
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2021, 07:21:39 AM »
I would recommend you our all in one weather station.
You can have a look at link below.
http://www.hongyuv.com/en/product/professional-ultrasonic-weather-station-5.html
Price of HY-WDS6E with wind, THP, rain, solar radiation is 1088 USD/UNIT/FOB CHINA
Rain is tested and compared with tipping bucket onsite, proven accuracy is ±10%.
I attached some test report for your info.
My email is stefan@hongyuv.com
We provide raw data in ASCII string, it's easy for you to do integration.
Ecowitt HP3500
Davis VP2
HongYuv Ultrasonic All in One weather station
Our IoT cloud platform:
http://iot.hongyuv.com/page/HongYuvDemo
Wundergournd: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ICHENG18