Author Topic: Average life of a PWS. What's your experience?  (Read 4024 times)

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: Average life of a PWS. What's your experience?
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2021, 08:34:14 AM »
$200 is a great price for a  complete refurbishment of a VP2+. Thanks for sharing this information.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systemsó2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline andrewrckt

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2021, 12:18:44 AM »
My Davis VP2 has been running strong since 2006.  I have replaced the wind, reed switch on the rain gauge, and temperature sensors, but the ISS is still running strong.  Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 

I just ordered another VP2 and RM Young 05103 to interface with the ISS via the Universal Anemometer Mount.  Very happy with the VP2 system.

Offline 50ShadesOfDirt

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2021, 01:57:31 PM »
Settling on a WeatherFlow Tempest ...

Previous Acurite (Atlas) PWS had parts that go longer than a year, and parts that barely make a year (inside touch screen display failed at 13 months, can't access menu). Add to that the changeover in their data upload device (old model phased out, forcing you into new one), and it's a tad expensive in that range of PWS to own Acurite. One-year warranty in most cases of the parts.

Contrast with a recently purchased Tempest, at 2-year warranty (and longer with extensions) and no moving parts, and I'm out of the acurite business.

Year-old thread, but hope the Acurite info helps others ...

Offline ptcummings

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2022, 12:56:47 AM »
I have a Vantage Pro (one) going on 17+ years.  I'd say it lasted ~10 years without a real failure.  Overall, I have been VERY pleased with the product and the service.  I also have an extra temperature sensor that I move around the house (attic, garage, etc.).

In the past 7 years, the rain gauge reed switch went, which I replaced.  Also the on board super capacitor went, which I also replaced (had to solder in a new one).  Currently the anemometer, is broken (registers 2x the real wind speed).  Also, something is gone in the charging systems as it only works when the sun is shining.  :-) 

So right now, I have a weather system that only works on sunny days, only in the day time and won't give me proper wind speed.  :-)  So I'm considering my next move.

Does anyone know if a fairly simple way to get all the data out of my Vantage Pro (one) console and into another VP console?  I love having 17+ years of data in the console and I love the little graph function on the Vantage Pro.

To replace the whole thing with a VP2 (including Weatherlink) would be pretty expensive and AFAIK, I wouldn't be able to retain my old VP1 console data :-(    So if I can't retain my old data, I think I might as well get an Ambient 2000.  I like having the ability to add extra sensors.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2022, 08:18:03 AM »
Have you ever watched Only Fools and Horses, its a UK comedy, PWS = Triggers broom......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56yN2zHtofM&t=1s go to 1:32
Kind regards
Bashy