Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 54843 times)

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #175 on: August 13, 2015, 06:31:50 PM »
Electric cars are for the city. One guy drove one from the states to Alaska took him longer t hen it did in Jornal car as the are no quick charge stations. Be interesting to see how well they do at 40 to 60 below. Can you say cold weather drain on battery plus lack of an high output heater.

John

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #176 on: August 13, 2015, 06:33:12 PM »
Bought it Monday at the Montgomery, Alabama Cosco for $2.11.  Local here (50 miles south of Montgomery in a rural town) is $2.30 :-x . Fifteen miles to the east or west of us and it can be had for around $2.15.

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline CSB

« Reply #177 on: August 13, 2015, 06:51:20 PM »
Here in Wisconsin it went from $2.59 this AM to $3.19 this PM. Ouch!!

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #178 on: August 13, 2015, 07:01:13 PM »
Electric cars are for the city. One guy drove one from the states to Alaska took him longer t hen it did in Jornal car as the are no quick charge stations. Be interesting to see how well they do at 40 to 60 below. Can you say cold weather drain on battery plus lack of an high output heater.

John

I disagree, the above mentioned Tesla has a radius of almost 500 km and the supercharge system, which has a network of rechargin stations all around Europe can fully recharge it in 30 mins - so you stop at a gas station, have a coffee and you can continue another 500 km... And in the city you just use your own plug at home, which takes longer, but you just leave it over night.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #179 on: August 13, 2015, 07:03:49 PM »
And I mean come on... dont tell me you wouldnt want a car with 2.8 s from 0 to 100 :D It must feel really odd sitting in that car with such an acceleration - first of all there is zero delay and second, the engine is absolutely quiet....

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20150720-teslas-28-second-model-s-the-p85d-ludicrous

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #180 on: August 13, 2015, 09:50:53 PM »
Why would I want an car like that when I can travel at 120 knots an go places where it can't. Also my old F 150 gets me to town when it needs to.Jac it going to many years before fast charges are found here and northern Canada. In fact after tourist season over lot of station just close up and makes it long drive down the Alcan to the next station.So before you disagree you should Lear a bit about another person area.

Offline vreihen

• El Nińo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #181 on: August 14, 2015, 05:42:12 AM »
I disagree, the above mentioned Tesla has a radius of almost 500 km and the supercharge system, which has a network of rechargin stations all around Europe can fully recharge it in 30 mins - so you stop at a gas station, have a coffee and you can continue another 500 km...

I would double-check your math...or your coffee cup size.  Most EV's (Tesla included) can only fast-charge to about 80% battery life.  Per Tesla's published specs, 30 minutes of fast-charging will get you 170 miles (273 km) in range.  There's 5 Tesla Supercharger at an upscale bar/restaurant about 5 miles away from where I live, and they do a lot of business off of those units.  (Having a bar where you charge a car scares me a little, though.)

Tesla has some more reasonably-priced car models in their product roadmap, and that is the only thing stopping me from buying a VW e-Golf today.  My employer has been looking for someone to get an EV so that they can install a free charging station, and it is tempting to buy one for commuting when someone else is paying for the energy.  Oh, and most of our local electrical grid power comes from Niagara Falls hydropower, so it's clean energy to boot.....  \:D/
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
  • Former Aviation Weather Observer
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #182 on: August 14, 2015, 06:00:09 AM »
It will be interesting to see what the Model 3 looks like in a few months. I have serious doubts as to it actually making it to consumers for the $35K USD range though. I hope my concerns prove to be wrong.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #183 on: August 14, 2015, 06:13:58 AM »
Also my old F 150 gets me to town when it needs to.

Thats for sure, but no-one here is going to buy such a car... I have never in my life seen any F150 here! It is just way too big, expensive and the fuel consumption....

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #184 on: August 14, 2015, 09:11:53 AM »
I filled up yesterday for $2.21 a gallon. Yesterday was a very special day for me, I finally got my '96 Mark VIII out of storage where it's been for 8 years. I had a flatbed bring it out to the house and slip it into the garage, I love that car and even though it's a 32 valve, double overhead cam it gets reasonable mileage.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #185 on: August 14, 2015, 09:20:15 AM »
Interesting to see how different cars, prices etc. are in the US...

just if interested:

My car:
none  :grin:

My mom´s car (which I use when she needs me to drive her to a shop etc., since despite her having a license, she doesn´t drive because she is scared) :D
Opel Corsa III (yr.2001)
http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/models/OPEL_Corsa-5-doors-2000_main.jpg
1.0 L engine :D

My dream car right now:
Tesla S 85D, probably in white
alternatively some Audi, or I quite like the new Skoda Superb - a Czech manufacturer not sold in the US, but the most popular cars in the Czech Republic (50% market share...)
http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/new-superb/overview/

Most interesting car Ive ever sat in:
Bugatti Veyron, 1001 kW, top speed 408.84 km/h (254.04 mph)  :grin:

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #186 on: August 14, 2015, 10:24:29 AM »
You've seriously sat in a Veyron?  =P~ =P~ =P~
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #187 on: August 14, 2015, 10:52:44 AM »

8-)

I was planning on buying one, but in the end I was short of a few pennies so I didnt

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #188 on: August 14, 2015, 11:14:09 AM »

John

Tesla is building a whole series of charge stations all across western Canada.  Frankly, if I could affordit I'd get a Tesla X
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #189 on: August 14, 2015, 11:31:12 AM »

8-)

I was planning on buying one, but in the end I was short of a few pennies so I didnt
LOL!  Maybe some day you will.  But I'd buy a different car.  A good friend just bought the Ferrari Italia 458.... wowser
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #190 on: August 14, 2015, 11:58:25 AM »
Well, I have to say, that is pretty awesome. Probably the neatest car I've ever sat in is a brand new Stingray Corvette, or a new Challenger. NEVER anything as cool as that!

8-)

LOL!  Maybe some day you will.  But I'd buy a different car.  A good friend just bought the Ferrari Italia 458.... wowser

VERY cool! My favorite car of all time is probably the Ferrari 590 GTO, or its ancestor, the Ferrari 550 Maranello  8-)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #191 on: August 14, 2015, 12:22:10 PM »
Farmtalk:

to be quite honest, I probably wouldnt even want one... I mean I was never into sports cars, I love cars, my second biggest hobby after weather, but... I was always interested in "normal" cars, luxurious and efficient, I always tried to care for the environment too.

Im not saying I wouldnt want to drive a Ferrari or Bugatti or Zonda... but maybe once on a circuit, but I wouldnt want to own one (btw. do you know how much the damage waiver is annualy? :D)...

So if I was totally unlimited with regards to finances, I would really rather buy Skoda Superb III or Tesla S85D or maybe Audi S8.

When an electric car runs out of power, what kind of *milk-jug* you gonna use to hold those kWHr's as you walk back to the stranded car?

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #192 on: August 14, 2015, 02:16:29 PM »
Doubt they'll be big sellers in TX, much too big a place, we drive 100 miles without thinking about it. You can bet some will be in Austin, a Liberal College city.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #193 on: August 14, 2015, 02:40:57 PM »
Ok Bushman on the rapid charge units. How many you thin they will put in between Dawson Creek and Whitehorse. It was bad enough getting premium gas for the MB. I always get around that problem carrying fuel octane booster.  From Whitehorse to Boundary it would take 2 charges so you would need one at D-day where they like lot of little villages are still using diesel.

Jac we live different life style here then what you do in Europe. The old ford hauls everything from groceries to lumber to heating wood. It packs my dredge from the cabin out to several mining sites. Hauls diesel  and a gas for the tractor and plane. Like in Texas we have long hauls they have signs here to remind you no stations for next 170 to 250 miles. You better hope you have good soares to boot going up the Haul road.

John

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #194 on: August 14, 2015, 02:51:19 PM »
Ok Bushman on the rapid charge units. How many you thin they will put in between Dawson Creek and Whitehorse. It was bad enough getting premium gas for the MB. I always get around that problem carrying fuel octane booster.  From Whitehorse to Boundary it would take 2 charges so you would need one at D-day where they like lot of little villages are still using diesel.

Jac we live different life style here then what you do in Europe. The old ford hauls everything from groceries to lumber to heating wood. It packs my dredge from the cabin out to several mining sites. Hauls diesel  and a gas for the tractor and plane. Like in Texas we have long hauls they have signs here to remind you no stations for next 170 to 250 miles. You better hope you have good soares to boot going up the Haul road.

John

I completely understand that, but that is why I think here in Europe, the electric cars will quickly spread.

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #195 on: August 14, 2015, 03:06:45 PM »
VERY cool! My favorite car of all time is probably the Ferrari 590 GTO, or its ancestor, the Ferrari 550 Maranello  8-)

OK, since you guys are bringing up all these cars, I have to admit I'm a car guy! Embarrassing but it's just me and my Wife (no kids) and we have 4 vehicles (not counting the VTX1300C), and only one is hers. 

The GTO mine too...I think my current is the F12 however. That V12 sounds better than anything I can think of. I still get chills when I watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5ML9ET7GJ0

That being said I share the desire for the P85D. Doubt I will ever own one but you never know. I've definitely got a better chance at that than the F12 that's for sure.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #196 on: August 14, 2015, 03:39:31 PM »
It was fun when I lived in Stuttgart.... for those of you who dont know, that is where MB is manufactured, Porsche, BMW is 200km away in Munich, Audi 100km away in Ingolstadt etc... and of course the German highways  8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

My dad had a company car, an Audi A6, when we drove 220 kmh (140 mph) we had to drive in the right lane otherwise we would be slowing others down LOL - not joking

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #197 on: August 14, 2015, 03:42:08 PM »
Sometimes I think it would be really cool to take my car over there and embarrass the German cars on the Autobahn  :twisted:

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #198 on: August 14, 2015, 04:01:38 PM »
It was funny. As I said I dont have a car and when I drove with my mom´s car, it is an Opel Corsa with 1.0 engine... and it sometimes happened that I was standing at a traffic light. Then the green went on and I accelerated with my foot on the floor and the cars behind me (usually one of those Mercedeses or BMWs) signed with their headlights at me why am I not driving :D

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #199 on: August 14, 2015, 06:06:33 PM »
Wow, gas went up 34 cents today  :shock:
Joe Fitzwater