Weather Software > Virtual Weather Station

"could not open communication port" after moving vws install

(1/6) > >>

marklyn:
I had to rebuild my Windows 10 computer with VWS on it.  I first copied the entire Virtual Weather folder to my D: drive and put a new clean Windows 10 install on my C: drive.  I followed the instructions for moving VWS to another folder/computer and made the appropriate changes to the various file/folder settings.
When I launch VWS (was told I didn't have to actually re-install) from the new location it launches but comes up with "Could not open communication port" and it shows com port 3 with 19200 baud, which is what it was before the move.
My Vantage Pro II has the serial/usb datalogger dongle which is connected to my USB port.
I've tried other serial ports, no luck. I verified the baud rate on the VPII is indeed 19200.
If I choose to change the weather station to davis vantage pro/usb (or back to serial), there is a message indicating I need to install weatherlink to configure the station.
I don't ever remember doing that before, don't remember if I ever had weather link software even.  The weatherlink site has subscription services only, so no go there.
Anyone has any clue why I can't communicate now?  Am I missing weatherlink software I didn't know I had?
Ambient SW doesn't support this anymore so I'm at a loss as to what to do.

marklyn:
I am noticing in my hardware device manager there are some "other device" drivers missing: USB-Serial Controller D, SM Bus Controller & PCI Data Acquisition and signal processing controller

Could this be my issue? Where can I find these?

Garth Bock:
 What model/ manufacturer of computer ? You need to go to the manufacturer website and download and install drivers and make sure nothing is in conflict in Device Manager. I have had the prompt about needing WL in the past and just dismissed it. I am running VWS with a serial logger and last time I moved it to a new computer I missed a couple of drivers and had the same problem you had. Let me know if I can help.

Oh I have a project I am working on so I called support and asked if they would sell me an additional license and they gave me one for free.

marklyn:
It is an Acer Aspire XC605 desktop.  No luck finding the driver there.  I feel pretty certain it's the USB-Serial Controller D listed in the "other devices" for which I need a driver.

cirrus:

--- Quote from: marklyn on February 27, 2022, 06:40:45 PM ---It is an Acer Aspire XC605 desktop.  No luck finding the driver there.  I feel pretty certain it's the USB-Serial Controller D listed in the "other devices" for which I need a driver.

--- End quote ---

This might be what you need? https://www.silabs.com/developers/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers Click the Downloads tab.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version