Weather Software > Virtual Weather Station

Migration from VWS to other software, keeping historical data - recomendations?

<< < (2/3) > >>

waiukuweather:
WD does have a built in VWS import (see under action)

SteveFitz1:

--- Quote from: BrianLehan on June 10, 2020, 03:15:24 AM ---VWS has been stable on Win7 but only because I schedule a reboot every day. If I don't it stalls often.

--- End quote ---
Brian,

As a long time user of VWS, I completely agree with your comments. Nearly 10 years I began running Cumulus to complement the shortcomings I found with VWS. And today, I'm still running quite well with the both of them.

I, like you, have found that VWS likes to stall or crash on occasion. That used to be a big issue for me. However, once I started using the freeware called StartWatch, I'm now able to continuously monitor VWS. If it stalls or even crashes, StartWatch will terminate VWS if necessary and bring up a new copy. This probably occurs once or twice a week, but the only way I know it occurs is if I happen to look at my Weather PC. This auto restart runs flawlessly.

If you're not using something like this now, you might take a look at this option to at least make life with VWS easier until you move to something else.

Steve

casacota:
Well, I'm running VWS since almost 20 years (always same version 13), and during all the time I have had at most 2 or 3 stalls - only a lockup ever couple of years. Everything on Windows XP 32bit that runs also flawelessly.

http://www.atmos.cat/perl?num=1287945249

It may not be true for everyone, but I'm surprised how well VWS does...

BrianLehan:

--- Quote from: SteveFitz1 on June 15, 2020, 08:09:50 PM ---
--- Quote from: BrianLehan on June 10, 2020, 03:15:24 AM ---VWS has been stable on Win7 but only because I schedule a reboot every day. If I don't it stalls often.

--- End quote ---
Brian,

As a long time user of VWS, I completely agree with your comments. Nearly 10 years I began running Cumulus to complement the shortcomings I found with VWS. And today, I'm still running quite well with the both of them.

I, like you, have found that VWS likes to stall or crash on occasion. That used to be a big issue for me. However, once I started using the freeware called StartWatch, I'm now able to continuously monitor VWS. If it stalls or even crashes, StartWatch will terminate VWS if necessary and bring up a new copy. This probably occurs once or twice a week, but the only way I know it occurs is if I happen to look at my Weather PC. This auto restart runs flawlessly.

If you're not using something like this now, you might take a look at this option to at least make life with VWS easier until you move to something else.

Steve

--- End quote ---

Steve Thanks for the information and observations. I currently am just running a script that reboots the machine regardless of a crash or not so I will check out StartWatch to see if that is a better solution for me.

Nice look to your public pages, whos scripts are you running?

Brian

BrianLehan:

--- Quote from: casacota on June 15, 2020, 09:59:15 PM ---Well, I'm running VWS since almost 20 years (always same version 13), and during all the time I have had at most 2 or 3 stalls - only a lockup ever couple of years. Everything on Windows XP 32bit that runs also flawelessly.

http://www.atmos.cat/perl?num=1287945249

It may not be true for everyone, but I'm surprised how well VWS does...

--- End quote ---

Yeah mine was pretty stable in XP and if I could have found a way to get the GRLevel3 radar to be able to connect security wise I would have left VWS on it.

Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version