General Weather/Earth Sciences Topics > Aviation Weather

METARS acronym

(1/2) > >>

miraculon:
Maybe a lot of folks here already know, but I just noticed that METARs stands for METeorological Aerodrome Reports.

Maybe this is a 'duh!'  #-o moment, but I didn't know what is stood for...

Greg H.

CW2274:
Just as an fyi, we didn't adopt METAR here in the States until 1996. We all had to learn different nomenclature, different formatting, and we all now had to use metrics instead of imperial units (with some exceptions, like the altimeter still in inHg). It was a big deal here.

DRoberts:
Interesting. I did not know that. Thanks.

galfert:
Yup I knew that only because this is a very recent hobby for me and I have a habit of looking new things up in Wikipedia. But according to Wikipedia METAR is also known as MEteorological Terminal Aviation Routine [Weather Report]. It struck me as strange that there were two acronyms. I prefer this acronym than to the one miraculon mention, because when you say "METAR report" you don't want to be redundant.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/METAR#Naming

As CW2274 mentioned before 1996 North America used a system called Surface Aviation Observation (SAO).

davidmc36:

--- Quote from: galfert on October 26, 2019, 03:12:19 AM ---Yup I knew that only because this is a very recent hobby for me and I have a habit of looking new things up in Wikipedia. But according to Wikipedia METAR is also known as MEteorological Terminal Aviation Routine [Weather Report]. It struck me as strange that there were two acronyms. I prefer this acronym than to the one miraculon mention, because when you say "METAR report" you don't want to be redundant.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/METAR#Naming

As CW2274 mentioned before 1996 North America used a system called Surface Aviation Observation (SAO).

--- End quote ---

I seem to hear most exchanges follow: Can I get The METAR? or Do you have The 1600 METAR?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version