Author Topic: Standalone Acu-rite Ethernet bridge  (Read 15169 times)

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
Standalone Acu-rite Ethernet bridge
« on: September 30, 2011, 08:52:49 AM »
The bridge was supposed to be available by itself a few weeks ago. Where is it?

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
Re: Standalone Acu-rite Ethernet bridge
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 12:01:15 PM »
What wx equipment are you using now? 
Hold on until it is perfected and meets Acu-Rite quality standards.  My Beta Acu-Link test site is working better than it did last week. 
Is looking good now http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KGALEXIN3
compared with the Davis VP2 http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KGALEXIN1
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline ctccbc

• Senior Contributor
  • Acurite 01035, Weather Display
    • Chris Collins Morehead City, NC Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 01:36:43 PM »
Are you shutting down the Acu-Rite Temperature/Dewpoint off at night, because I notice that they go several hours without changing at all. Looks kinda weird.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 04:33:03 PM »
Maybe the lack of temperature variation is due to no aspiration during darkness.  Data after September 28 is better.  Testing in progress.
Edit: 6pm Set 30; I changed 5-N-1 sensors, see if this one's temperature/humidity sticks.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 06:25:32 PM by wxtech »
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 10:35:54 PM »
...Hold on until it is perfected and meets Acu-Rite quality standards.

...Where is it?

« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 10:43:32 PM by xykotik »

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 05:18:31 PM »
What wx equipment are you using now? 
Hold on until it is perfected and meets Acu-Rite quality standards.  My Beta Acu-Link test site is working better than it did last week. 

I have the 5 in 1 sensor already. What do you mean by wait until it meets quality standards? It is currently being sold as a complete kit. Do you mean to say the kit is worthless because it doesn't work correctly?

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 09:49:47 PM »
Don't get upset with me, I'm just testing it for Acu-Rite.  It's frustrating to use right now.  Look at the data:  http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KGALEXIN3
ctccbc; No, I don't shut it down.  The flat line data just occurred again today, not a problem at my end. 

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 10:02:22 PM »
Don't get upset with me, I'm just testing it for Acu-Rite.  It's frustrating to use right now.  Look at the data:  http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KGALEXIN3
ctccbc; No, I don't shut it down.  The flat line data just occurred again today, not a problem at my end. 

To me, it doesn't look all that much different than KGALEXIN1.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 10:25:52 PM »
It appears KGALEXIN3's data dropped out from somewhere around 5PM to 9:45PM or so.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 10:37:35 PM »

Al, you are a great choice for product testing.  I think the question surrounds the "beta" designation.  Acu-Rite has commercially released the "wireless bridge" as purchased by hdtvluvr and others (I am considering it myself) so are you testing a future release candidate?  A Rev-2?  If you are testing the current production model rather than a beta, then YES, it looks like a green banana.

I'm C-mas shopping for my FIL, and tomorrow the LaCrosse 2813 kits hit the shelves at Costco.  I'd prefer something computerless like the Acu-Rite bridge, but HW+WUHU seems tested and true.  I guess I can wait until the weekend to see how your testing goes.

Keep up the good work!

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 05:41:10 AM »
I began testing the Acu-Link Web Bridge on 19 Sept 2011.  I'm in the Beta test group.  I don't know when the company testing began on this model.  I'll leave the answers to Rhino and Acu-Rite.  I'm more of a customer, and definitely not a spokesperson.  I'm trying to inform my friends at WxForum without stepping on the toes of the folks at Acu-Rite.

Dan, that gap in data was caused by a 'rackspace server' outage at Acu-Rite HQ, according to the Beta test group message.  Please get your product info and confidence from Rhino.

I'm confident that the bridge will become an impressive product like the 5-n-1 that I'm comparing with the VP2.
I'm a 'worst-case' installation for bridge and display reception.  My walls are like castle thickness (old wood dimensions and thick plaster).  I have two 5-n-1s on a mast in the yard, a 3-n-1 on a dormer over my roof and a tower sensor measuring my upstairs temperature.  I'm trying to pick up outside temperature near the ground and winds higher up by using the different sensors.  I'm using different displays to read the two different 5-n-1 sensors and the upstairs temperature.

Emphasing again that KGALEXIN1 (Davis VP2) & KGALEXIN3 (Acu-Rite) are just 5 feet lateral separation.  They show up on the map as a mile apart. :oops:
Al
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:03:56 AM by wxtech »

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 07:36:49 AM »
Well, I have not purchased the bridge as I can't find it by itself. I have the the 5 in 1 sensor and a base station already. I just need the bridge.

How can someone beta test an item that became commercially available about a week after they started beta testing? Pretty short beta test window.  :grin:

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 09:16:34 AM »
Well, I have not purchased the bridge as I can't find it by itself. I have the the 5 in 1 sensor and a base station already. I just need the bridge.

How can someone beta test an item that became commercially available about a week after they started beta testing? Pretty short beta test window.  :grin:
We don't know when the Beta testing began.  Testing was in progress when I joined.  I begged them to allow me to participate in the Beta test group.  I knew the kit was available already.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 09:20:35 AM by wxtech »

Online CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 09:48:53 AM »
I begged them to allow me to participate in the Beta test group.  I knew the kit was available already.

Ah that's how you got in. I signed up myself a few weeks back too.
You're a good candidate with all your "tinkering" abilities.  :-P
Tony

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 10:23:49 AM »
I tried to find a way to separate wind direction from wind speed.  I'll use the 3-n-1 for wind speed but it doesn't have a direction vane.  I'll keep both sensors on my backyard dashboard but don't know which data WeatherUnderground will get.  Now going to paint the wood bracket holding the 3-n-1 to my dormer.

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 10:59:50 AM »
We have been testing in various capacities for about 3 months, We wanted to get some folks from the forums here involved towards the tail end. We ran into a few issues the last few weeks as we rolled out the final firmware updates, but most issues have been resolved now. Yesterday our hosting servers went down, so that has been fun.

The idea behind this system is to continually improve and add features to the software as time goes on, so the software is fairly dynamic in that it allows the device to be upgraded. This makes for a better product as it is not a "one and done" product that always does just one job- we can keep improving it based on feedback. This does present some technical complexity, which has shown itself right near commercial launch time- ain't that how it always goes  :???:. There are a few growing pains with this product- but we will get there for sure!

Thanks for your patience fellas, I will post a link (and a discount code! \:D/) when the bridge is available to purchase by itself.

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 07:52:54 PM »
Anxiously awaiting   =D>

Or can I be a beta tester too?

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 08:10:57 PM »
Anxiously awaiting   =D>

Or can I be a beta tester too?
Are you sure?
I've been working part time today to resolve an outage.  A post was made to WU at 1252pm and then it quit.  I couldn't find why it stopped.  I thought my bridge had lost reception.  I had 2 5-n-1 sensors and displays set for each.  It got complicated, I took the batteries out of one sensor thinking maybe the bridge was confused.  Occasionally the bridge drops out and needs to be powered down to reset it.  It loses connection with AcuRite HQ.  I would do something, wait for the weather widgets on the dashboard to update.  Nothing happened.  I asked for help from the Beta group, no response.  Finally, I did a power down and re-register the bridge.  That was what it wanted.  I had to re-register the bridge, set up WU again.  Then I watched the posts on WU for new data.  6:45pm to 8:00pm watching for the station to become complete again.  Now, its working again.  You can see the big data gap on KGALEXIN3 from 12:42PM to 19:05pm.

Offline Tawpie

Re: Standalone Acu-rite Ethernet bridge -- setup question
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 01:50:51 AM »
I just received my 5n1 with the ethernet bridge, dutifully plugged it into my router (and wall), waited for the blue status lights to start blinking and then pressed and held the register button for 4 seconds.

The status lights kept blinking and have been blinking for a couple of hours. Before I retire for the night, is this normal? How long do they keep blinking?

I have to unplug it tomorrow to transport it to it's final location and don't want to brick the dang thing!

Thanks

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
Re: Standalone Acu-rite Ethernet bridge -- setup question
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 07:50:05 AM »
I just received my 5n1 with the ethernet bridge, dutifully plugged it into my router (and wall), waited for the blue status lights to start blinking and then pressed and held the register button for 4 seconds.
The status lights kept blinking and have been blinking for a couple of hours. Before I retire for the night, is this normal? How long do they keep blinking?
I have to unplug it tomorrow to transport it to it's final location and don't want to brick the dang thing!
Thanks
Did you read the 'critical step' between steps 4 & 5 on the set up poster?  And the 49 page manual?  The instructions are online but weren't included in the box that I received.
The two flashing blue LEDS are normal, will be flashing forever.  It should resume operation when you reconnect it.  Don't push the 'register' button again.  Have you viewed your data at 'my backyard weather'?  Sending your data to WeatherUnderground is the best way to analyze the performance of your system.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 08:43:37 AM by wxtech »

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 10:06:09 AM »
If both status lights are blinking, that means that the RF operations and the network operations are working and you are READY to register your bridge. We did not have a full printed instruction manual with first shipments, available only online to allow us to make changes on the fly to address any issues we may encounter with user error, technical difficulties, etc.

The next shipment (including the standalone bridge) should come with a more comprehensive printed manual. Additionally, a firmware update is being pushed out tomorrow and into the weekend that should fix quite a few of the issues some folks are having.

wxtech has done a great job testing for us, we certainly appreciate his candor and everyones questions and comments! Thanks for the patience guys- this is a dynamic product that will be continuously improved and features will be added over time as well.

Offline Tawpie

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 11:57:45 AM »
Thanks -- growing pains are normal. You'll get there.

* since the included poster for the bridge "seemed" complete and wasn't a bad match for a video I found on youTube, I didn't know quite everything. It would be good to include the meaning of the status lights and in particular that they'll keep blinking, perhaps on a sticker? FWIW, there will be people that don't like the always blinking lights--it's rather distracting unless you can hide the bridge. Maybe only blink one of them, and flicker when it's doing network traffic? I don't care because the bridge will be in a closet, but if my router was in my den and I had to have the bridge there too--the blinkage overload would be an irritant.
* the instructions for registering the bridge could be improved as well. I thought I registered it using the iPhone app but when I finally figured out how to get to myBackyardWeather on the web the bridge wasn't a registered device. The confusion (for me anyway) came from:
-- when you go to www.acurite.com and set up an account, it's for shopping only and doesn't get your bridge registered. I "registered" my bridge using the registration on the product web page, but that's probably just registering my purchase and not the actual bridge. There's no way to rell BTW.
-- I finally located myBackyardWeather in the support tab, which isn't an intuitive place for it to reside. Especially since the actual dashboard link has the company name spelled with a hyphen. More work on getting me to the right place would be helpful.

The long and short of it is that my bridge may or may not be registered--it's back in its box for the move from the big city to its intended installation location at our cabin. I should know sometime tomorrow when I get things set back up!

Again, thanks for your help. Without playing about very much I already like the display console better than my Oregon Scientific (at the city residence) and am jazzed to have a "low muss" internet connected station for the cabin!

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 12:34:28 PM »
Here's your instructions:
http://www.acurite.com/mybackyardweather#instructions  On this page you'll find:

Step-by-Step Setup Instruction Manuals

How to Install an Acu-Link Internet Bridge [PDF]  9 pages with the 'critical step'

How to Setup Acu-Link My Backyard Weather on a PC [PDF]   49 page manual

How to Setup Acu-Link My Backyard Weather on a Phone [PDF]

« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 12:36:17 PM by wxtech »

Offline Tawpie

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 02:11:30 AM »
Thanks guys... it's online at KWAWINTH11! Not properly mounted yet, that'll be done tomorrow. It's sitting in the porch.

Offline Tawpie

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2011, 02:24:09 AM »
one more thing -- it doesn't appear that the indoor temperature/humidity is sent to the bridge by the 01050 indoor display thingi... correct? If not, which indoor sensor should I procure? Part of the "monitor the weather" project is to keep an eye on the indoor temperature as well so that we can see how the passive solar is working. It's a part time residence and we're rather interested to see how the investment is working out when we're not here. And to make sure things don't freeze up--or at least use the alarms to let us know that something is fubar with the backup heat.

Thanks!