Author Topic: Hauling nuts (walnuts?) on flatbed semi trailers  (Read 1436 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Hauling nuts (walnuts?) on flatbed semi trailers
« on: June 28, 2022, 08:32:25 AM »
As I continue to search for the most obscure topics to seek answers from the amassed knowledge from readers here, I have come up with a very strange thing a trucker friend has seen here in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois where he travels.

He's seen ordinary flat bed trailers, 53 footers I assume, with what  is apparently a box made of a 2x12" covering much of the trailer.  In it he claims are nuts, which he thinks are walnuts but maybe other sorts, and from the names on the tractors many are based 'down south'. 

Why they would haul nuts, especially walnuts, in the open, uncovered, at risk of getting wet or contaminated, and only a small amount rather than a full box, or the whole nut rather than just the meat after the shell has been removed is strange.  He's seen this last year and a few this year and just saw another one, empty, heading south. 

Unfortunately he's never seen one of these haulers at a rest stop so he can't ask the driver what's up. 

My friend does drink, but not while working so I can't blame hallucinations.  Any thoughts?
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Re: Hauling nuts (walnuts?) on flatbed semi trailers
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 03:01:41 PM »
They best not be packed too tight nor air-tight if they are being hauled to a hulling facility.

"Storage and handling of the bagged in-shell nuts is one of the most important areas of responsibility
that the operator has. Operators need to place the bags on pallets, and store the nuts outside which
helps air to circulate through out the mesh bags and begins the drying out process. Although the
nuts may get rained on in an outdoor storage location, they will quickly begin drying as a result of
outside air movements. When the in-shell nuts are stored in a confined space without air
movement, the nut will begin showing signs of mold on the shell. The kernel will then begin pulling
moisture from the outside shell into the kernel, thus increasing the kernels moisture content and
prohibiting proper drying. Over extended periods of time in this situation, the kernel will begin
turning darker in color and becoming poor in quality."

"

https://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/misc/walnut/part5.pdf

Online Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 02:15:52 PM »
A cop pulled him over for screaming at other drivers in  traffic and an improperly secured load. The driver asked why he was pulled over and the cop said... Sir we can see your nuts...

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 02:24:11 PM »
Oh My My. That may be a new low for groaners.  😜

Online CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 08:18:52 PM »
A cop pulled him over for screaming at other drivers in  traffic and an improperly secured load. The driver asked why he was pulled over and the cop said... Sir we can see your nuts...
https://youtu.be/oShTJ90fC34

Online Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 07:25:58 AM »
https://youtu.be/oShTJ90fC34

Guess my pun was so bad you had to send me to YouTube to watch a commercial that hesitated because of my crappy DSL so I could watch a 6 second video of a rimshot ...

Online CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 06:52:50 PM »
DSL? That's still a thing? And here I thought my flip phone from '06 was old... :-P

Online Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 11:33:28 PM »
DSL? That's still a thing? And here I thought my flip phone from '06 was old... :-P
Yes it is here in the Ozarks... When CenturyLink waxes the string between the tin cans.. 😁.  It's all part of the Build Back Better Broadband... 😂😂😂😂

Online CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2022, 11:46:40 PM »
waxes the string between the tin cans.. 😁.
Boy does that bring back memories... Worked great too!

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2022, 03:27:06 AM »
DSL works great.   Better than satellite.

anything