Weather Station Hardware > Remote Weather Monitoring

DIY Cellular Weather Station?

<< < (4/5) > >>

WA4OPQ:
Can you drop the amazon link for the TP Link N300 extender? Every one I find is 110v. Is that your DHCP server?
And since you have your dongle, can you measure the current?
Thanks!

colemanmorris64:
Parts list (excluding weather sensors):
UPS Battery Backup: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H8F5HYJ/?coliid=IY8TE7OXURVMJ&colid=9MT3FK8IZX2D&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
TP Link N300 Nano Travel: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQEX8BO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hotspot (Refurbished Skyroam Solis 1): https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1624435-REG/skyroam_s018_r_2_solis_1_4g_gsm_lte.html

I'll measure power consumption on the N300 later tonight.

colemanmorris64:
I am using the N300 as the DHCP server. It appears to draw between 0.8 and 1W on average
The small Ecowitt 3551 display (used with SD card as data logger) with the backlight off draws 0.75W.
The GW1000 connects flawlessly directly to the hotspot, so the DHCP server only appears to be necessary if you intend to connect it to a Meteobridge.

galfert:
It appears from the way I'm reading and understanding that on the N300 you turned on the DHCP server (possibly for DHCP reservations). But if the hotspot still has its DHCP server on then you've created a double DHCP server situation on a network. This is not advisable as you could end up with IP conflicts and loss of IP address reservation reliability.

And the GW1000 always needs a DHCP server (Meteobridge or not) as it can't have a static IP assigned.

colemanmorris64:

--- Quote from: galfert on August 24, 2021, 10:06:42 PM ---It appears from the way I'm reading and understanding that on the N300 you turned on the DHCP server (possibly for DHCP reservations). But if the hotspot still has its DHCP server on then you've created a double DHCP server situation on a network. This is not advisable as you could end up with IP conflicts and loss of IP address reservation reliability.

And the GW1000 always needs a DHCP server (Meteobridge or not) as it can't have a static IP assigned.

--- End quote ---

Hi galfert. I realized that I connected a few more lines in the block diagram than I should have. It may be clearer now in the block diagram attached, which shows two different SSIDs rather than all connected to the same SSID. Unsure if this changes the nature of your concern.

I have the TP Link N300 setup in WISP mode, which lets me setup DHCP Address Reservation. I've power cycled MB, TP Link N300, and my hotspot multiple times, and had my hotspot change service providers (T-Mobile --> AT&T --> T-Mobile), and each time the DHCP Address Reservation appears to be working.

My comment on the GW1000 is just an observation. The GW1000 appears to successfully transmit to Ecowitt.net when connected directly to the hotspot regardless of changing IP addresses when changing cell service providers on my hotspot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version