Author Topic: Heathkit ID-5001-C Pressure Transducer  (Read 645 times)

Offline Kev

Heathkit ID-5001-C Pressure Transducer
« on: July 29, 2019, 01:45:32 PM »
I’m in the middle of a bit of a challenge with my ID-5001-C. The Motorola MPX100AP pressure transducer they shipped with is not temperature compensated. This is the only major flaw that I can find with the 5001. And it is a major flaw. This is why the barometer calibration can never be properly maintained on these consoles.  Being at the mercy of the room temperature, it runs out of spec constantly. The temperature inside the cabinet is never stable enough to maintain the calibration. Heath must have thought incorrectly that the temperature inside the cabinet would have been stable enough to keep the sensor functioning properly. Most likely why it's mounted near the power transformer.

I bought a Motorola MPX2100, which is identical to its predecessor, but it has built-in temperature compensation. The problem is there are some voltage discrepancies between the two transducers, which in the current circuitry keep the reading at .00

I know the MPX2100AP transducer can be made to work via some resistors, but I don’t have a clue where to start.  I found this thread of a guy who made it work, but it was for another non-Heathkit device (2 pages)- https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?361627-Substitute-for-MPX100AP-pressure-transducer

Can anyone help with a laymen's description of how to upgrade the circuitry?

MPX100AP Specs-

MPX2100AP Specs-
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 01:47:50 PM by Kev »
Heath ID-5001-C Advanced Weather Computer (1990)
Texas Weather Instruments WR-25 (1998)

anything