Author Topic: CWOP on the Macintosh  (Read 854 times)

Offline N3FWE

CWOP on the Macintosh
« on: March 03, 2020, 12:17:08 PM »

Hello,

I posted this in the Macintosh forum but didn't any replies so posting here.

I'm use Windows and don't have a Mac so I haven't used this software.   I'm trying to help a friend out via email.  He uses Weathersnoop.   How do you setup the CWOP servers you connect to with weathersnoop.   My friend is a ham radio operator and we were trying to change the default server from cwop.aprs.net to rotate.aprs.net    He has his APRS passcode to login rotate.aprs.net

He couldn't find the settings  in his software.   Is there any plugins for the software to allow this?

If the software don't allow this is there any other software for the Macintosh that will let you select the server for CWOP?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Steve, N3FWE

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
Re: CWOP on the Macintosh
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 12:21:22 PM »
the weather display software allows that

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 01:19:32 PM »
Doesn't look like the WeatherSnoop allows to changing the upload server address.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

https://www.weather.gov/media/epz/mesonet/CWOP-WxSnoop.pdf

That said though. Why do you feel you need to change the server from the CWOP to the ones the hams use? I don't think it will make a difference. I use the standard CWOP servers cwop.aprs.net and I've never noticed a problem. There was a time many years ago when there were some capacity issues with the CWOP servers. Those issues have long since been resolved because cwop.aprs.net is not just one server but it also is a set of alternates just like rotate.aprs.net.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 01:21:09 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline N3FWE

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 03:15:51 PM »
Doesn't look like the WeatherSnoop allows to changing the upload server address.

https://www.weather.gov/media/epz/mesonet/CWOP-WxSnoop.pdf

That said though. Why do you feel you need to change the server from the CWOP to the ones the hams use? I don't think it will make a difference. I use the standard CWOP servers cwop.aprs.net and I've never noticed a problem. There was a time many years ago when there were some capacity issues with the CWOP servers. Those issues have long since been resolved because cwop.aprs.net is not just one server but it also is a set of alternates just like rotate.aprs.net.

I realize that.   Ham radio operators are allowed to send weather reports over a radio via APRS.     APRS radio software uses rotate.aprs,net and this allows filtering of stations by type, location and range.    Rotate.aprs.net also shows non weather stations the hams may be interested.   Cwop.aprs.net does not have this filtering option.    Also stations using cwop.aprs.net will not show up on rotate.aprs.net since there are non hams using it to avoid sending the station over the air.   They will show up on the internet but not over the air.    This is why aprs.roate.net requires a callsign and password.     

Steve, N3FWE

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 03:45:11 PM »
Fair enough, I'm not a ham..thank you for the lesson.

In that case I recommend using some other software like Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, Weather-Display or WeeWX which all allow you to specify the APRS server address and password. Those all run on a macOS except for Meteobridge which doesn't require a Mac or PC at all as it runs on its own little device. If it is a Davis then you can also look into WiFiLogger. You may also want to check out WeatherCat for macOS which has an Advanced section of the configuration under CWOP...but unfortunately the manual doesn't go into details. You can try asking in the WeatherCat forum.

UPDATE: yes it seems WeatherCat under Advanced CWOP can specify servers:
https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=671.0

« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 03:52:37 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline N3FWE

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 03:56:46 PM »
Fair enough, I'm not a ham..thank you for the lesson.

In that case I recommend using some other software like Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, Weather-Display or WeeWX which all allow you to specify the APRS server address and password. Those all run on a macOS except for Meteobridge which doesn't require a Mac or PC at all as it runs on its own little device. If it is a Davis then you can also look into WiFiLogger. You may also want to check out WeatherCat for macOS which has an Advanced section of the configuration under CWOP...but unfortunately the manual doesn't go into details. You can try asking in the WeatherCat forum.

I'm not a Mac user so I will pass the other software on.   He already paid for Weathersnoop so we were hoping there would be a plugin available or something we missed.   He does not have a Davis so he would have to see which ones support his station.

Thanks

Steve, N3FWE

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 03:59:51 PM »
How much does WeatherSnoop cost? Their website has no pricing information. Strange.

Tele-Pole

Offline N3FWE

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 05:10:07 PM »
How much does WeatherSnoop cost? Their website has no pricing information. Strange.

I just looked also.   The website just says "You can purchase WeatherSnoop 5 right from within the app using your credit card or PayPal"    That is strange.

Steve

anything