Author Topic: what kind of cable to do the first firmware flash with? (Working)  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
    • http://www.desotowiwx.com
I got the boards all together now (Thanks cousin) anyway.... My question is I don't seem to have the right kind of cable to fit into the discovery board to do the first flash on it. I thought my cell phone has a mini usb....but it don't. Anyone on here know of a good source of cables online? I don't want to get a bad one to make a brick out of my system.
Thanks

UPDATE:
Ok I did find a cable from a old cell phone and I did use that. but the computer did not find the board. Even tried a few computers....all the same thing. I am going to leave it alone for now...hope I did not kill the board... :-&
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 01:18:27 PM by Fox_Of_The_Wind »

Anthony

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
Re: what kind of cable to do the first firmware flash with?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 11:50:50 AM »
Did you install the driver first? Initial driver installation can take a few minutes.

Are you using the correct connector to program the board? You should not plug into the normal controller power connector, but to the mini-usb port on the Discovery board itself. No power should be applied to the controller board while programming.

Best,

Don
WD9DMP

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 12:06:25 PM »
Did you install the driver first? Initial driver installation can take a few minutes.

Are you using the correct connector to program the board? You should not plug into the normal controller power connector, but to the mini-usb port on the Discovery board itself. No power should be applied to the controller board while programming.

Best,

Don
WD9DMP
Yes everything is plugged into the discovery board for now. There is nothing plugged into the controller board.
I tired it on a computer running windows 7 64 bit and one a computer running windows XP

Anthony

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 12:15:32 PM »
It is possible the cable you found is for power only and does not have the data lines connected to the USB connectors.

Don
WD9DMP

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 12:20:57 PM »
It is possible the cable you found is for power only and does not have the data lines connected to the USB connectors.

Don
WD9DMP

I have thought of that also. its a cable for a Galaxy 3 cell phone so I don't know....might have to buy one.
thanks for the help

Anthony

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 12:27:29 PM »
Hmmm, my S3 uses a micro USB connector...
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 12:33:36 PM »

mine does also. from what I read in the manual the micro usb connection on the discovery board is for the connection to the pc. the other connection is power......

Anthony

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 01:14:03 PM »

mine does also. from what I read in the manual the micro usb connection on the discovery board is for the connection to the pc. the other connection is power......

Actually, the current BO RED documentation recommends that you use the mini-USB port to flash the board. See the instructions in Section 5.1.1 starting on page 66. Follow the directions for the "STM32 ST-Link utility". That uses the mini-USB jack and NOT the micro-USB jack on the discovery board. There are instrucitons for using the micro-USB jack with different software but I did not use that method as the STM32 ST-Link utility is the preferred method.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 01:18:13 PM »

Actually, the current BO RED documentation recommends that you use the mini-USB port to flash the board. See the instructions in Section 5.1.1 starting on page 66. Follow the directions for the "STM32 ST-Link utility". That uses the mini-USB jack and NOT the micro-USB jack on the discovery board. There are instrucitons for using the micro-USB jack with different software but I did not use that method as the STM32 ST-Link utility is the preferred method.

I just got the board to work with the computer by way of doing that. I found the info on blitzortung website.
Thank you all for the help on this. now the board has been flashed and it even lived through the flash. and its working :)

Anthony

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 01:21:49 PM »

I just got the board to work with the computer by way of doing that. I found the info on blitzortung website.
Thank you all for the help on this. now the board has been flashed and it even lived through the flash. and its working :)

Anthony,

That's great news!  =D> Let us know if you have any additional questions. Have you sent an email to Egon requesting a station ID? Once you get that you'll start seeing your data on the BO website.

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 01:32:07 PM »

Anthony,

That's great news!  =D> Let us know if you have any additional questions. Have you sent an email to Egon requesting a station ID? Once you get that you'll start seeing your data on the BO website.

No I have not yet. I still need to get a GPS for it yet.....(and to set it all up)

Thanks for the help!

Anthony

Offline schaffer970

Re: what kind of cable to do the first firmware flash with? (Working)
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 01:41:33 PM »
I spent a bit being confused by the mini vs micro plug on the Discovery board.  If you use just the mini to program the board everything works great.  I was thinking that I would try to write up something to add to the Build Instructions Documents.  :-)

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
Re: what kind of cable to do the first firmware flash with? (Working)
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 01:43:59 PM »
I think it's already well-documented....here and elsewhere....MINI, not micro!

anything