Author Topic: own weather station software  (Read 2770 times)

Offline Antra

own weather station software
« on: April 08, 2015, 01:13:26 PM »
Dear All,
i would ask you if is there any person which have experience with own software for weather station (C#,C++, vb.net). I know that many people will ask you why i need it when there is many softs which are good. I would use my station for upload data to my site (by banana pi/raspberry pi 2) and i have a different idea of sharing data (dont want upload something from soft). This is my reason why i am interested of programing weather soft. For any answer I'll be happy

thanks guys

BR

Antra

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: own weather station software
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 01:38:21 PM »
Dear All,
i would ask you if is there any person which have experience with own software for weather station (C#,C++, vb.net). I know that many people will ask you why i need it when there is many softs which are good. I would use my station for upload data to my site (by banana pi/raspberry pi 2) and i have a different idea of sharing data (dont want upload something from soft). This is my reason why i am interested of programing weather soft. For any answer I'll be happy

thanks guys

BR

Antra

Python seems to be a very popular choice at the moment. 

I use some perl scripts to interpret the data flowing from my station.  I'm not using perl for any particular reason, though. 

Offline Antra

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 02:21:16 PM »
or if somebody have experience with automaticaly save data into DB

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 03:09:12 PM »
You could look at WU's upload protocol for an easy way to send data from the station's interface to a web server via http GET (could also do it with POST I think).

Then, on the web server, use PHP or something else to parse out the incoming data and save it to the database.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 03:21:54 PM »
It depends what exactly you mean.

If you are talking about making your own scripts that would process your data from the database, then I think your best bet is PHP (see my web, this is exactly how I do everything, I get raw data from MySQL and use PHP to do the rest).

Or if you are looking for some sort of software that would be able to actually "get" the raw data from the station. That I would say is much more complicated and companies developing devices such as meteobridge had to spent quite some time and mostly trial/error to find out how the various weather station models actually communicate. For this you obviously wouldnt use PHP.

Offline Josiah

• Add-InWx Software Author
  • Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 07:59:39 PM »
If you are trying to write your own software to connect to a weather station and you want to program it in C#, C++ or VB.net and also want it capable of running on the Raspberry PI (or Linux in general), I recommend the Mono Project.

Edit:
If your at all familiar with the .NET framework, Which I'm assuming you are since you mention C# and VB.net, the Mono Project is really the best way to go.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:01:49 PM by Josiah »

Offline Antra

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 12:59:45 PM »
Dear guys,
thank you for your time and shared information.
To SLOweather: PHP ist not my style so i thing that this is not my way

To Jachym: f*cking great website man ... sry guys now it will be little discussion in our language (a to jako myslim vazne - btw jaky zpusobem dostavas data ze stanice, taktez mam WH1080 a chci to z ni dostat, ale mam problem s read USB protokolem - posleze bych s daty prave pracoval pres mini PC a sdilel je na web)

To Josiah - "thats my boy on same waves" - exactly ... need some data mining from weather station and then present it in my way + use ASP.net for my Raspberry PI :) ... I will check your recommended links and then you will have one sunny day (as weather forecast :D)

BR

Antra
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 01:02:22 PM by Antra »

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 01:11:26 PM »
čau, pošlu ti PMku a domluvíme se