Author Topic: Davis Airlink Professional Air Quality Sensor PM 1, 2.5 & 10  (Read 15221 times)

Offline ralphbsz

Re: Davis Airlink Professional Air Quality Sensor PM 1, 2.5 & 10
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2020, 01:23:53 AM »
I guess I should find a way to upgrade the firmware on my Airlink. On the other hand, it seems the old and new data format end up having the same content.

Thank you for so quickly updating the reading code.

We mostly stayed indoors today, although the air quality at our altitude (~700m = 2200 ft) was tolerable; in the US AQI system it was 150...160 most of the day (PM2.5 seems to have been around 130 ug/m3). Given the proximity to some very large fires in California (we were actually evacuated for a week, with the fire 5 miles = 8km from us), he air quality has been much worse recently.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2020, 10:37:20 AM »
Mine is out for delivery.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline bishopweather

• Bishopweather.com
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2020, 09:18:28 AM »
Ordered mine this week hoping it ships soon.  Im on the east side of ca and the last 2-3 weeks have been brutal with smoke!   Becoming an aq expert now!   Does this have the ability to calibrate or apply a factor to the values its reporting?   I saw the purple air units can do this but didnt see anything mentioned in the manual
Bishopweather.com
Davis Vantage Pro2 weather station
Stardot Netcam XL3mp
Weatherlink IP

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2020, 10:33:58 AM »
Like most sensors on the market now, it supplies avg 'ATM' figures apart from  _last (20s) reading.

Everyone should note, the ATM compensation is based on only one University study and is now seriously questioned as normal ambient air content and the season all affect the readings. (Apparently the Uni site has high salt content in its air)
Imagine what you will KNOW tomorrow !

Offline srpawski

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2020, 07:21:58 PM »
For those of you who have received the unit or have verified, how long is the power cord that comes with the unit?  I am trying to figure out my plug setup with having to use their USB cord adapter on something meant for outdoor installation.  I really can't believe they couldn't have come up with a better power cable solution than they did with this.  I am thinking about one of those combo USB receptacles in a weatherproof box from which the cable can be directly plugged in without the need to use a USB to AC adapter.

Offline ralphbsz

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2020, 10:40:57 PM »
Somewhat inaccurately: 6'6", or about 190cm. If you need it more accurate, let me know, and I'll disconnect it and stretch it out along a tape measure. Before winter, I'll have to do something about both the power supply cable and the general rain shielding of the module.

Offline srpawski

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2020, 10:47:35 PM »
Thanks.  That’s what I was looking for.  I had a hunch of roughly 6 feet since that seems to be the standard cable length.  No need to disconnect it to measure it out.

Offline wrybread

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2020, 08:27:45 PM »
Is this different than the current Airlink?

https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/airlink-professional-air-quality-sensor/

I just ordered that, very excited to play with it and be able to put a number on the horrible air here in northern california.

Although this system has been working pretty well:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline hmderek

• Senior Contributor
    • Meteodrenthe
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2020, 05:33:24 AM »
Anyone know a reseller in EU/UK that has this in stock and ships to EU mainland and has decent shipping rates? :-)
Davis VP2
Davis WeatherLink
Sensirion SHT35
PT100
NTC Thermistors
DS18B20
Apogee Instruments TS-100
Barani Meteoshield Pro
Davis 7714
MetSpec RAD14
Davis AirLink
Wemos D1 Mini micro controllers
https://blog.meteodrenthe.nl
https://meteodrenthe.nl
https://twitter.com/meteodrenthe

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2020, 06:08:39 AM »
Anyone know a reseller in EU/UK that has this in stock and ships to EU mainland and has decent shipping rates? :-)

Yes, we do. You'll need to email sales@weatherstations.co.uk with your exact shipping address please (so we can price the shipping) and with payment via Paypal or bank transfer and someone will send through a quote.

As yet, we only have UK style mains adapter but the cable has a USB plug to the adapter and so any comparable decent quality USB charger ought to suffice.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2020, 08:26:43 AM »
Has anyone come up with a scheme to power this sensor outdoors? I don't know why Davis didn't consider a better power solution for outdoor placement.

I see some "Solar USB Chargers" on Amazon, some with a mounting bracket that look like it might work.

I am concerned about how these would hold up over time and whether they have enough mA-hours to actually power the sensor properly.

I might consider one of these if there was a good power solution for outdoor placement.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2020, 08:29:03 AM »
Well I will let you know how it looks, mine shipped :)

Did you receive the unit? Were you able to take a peek inside?

Greg H.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2020, 08:38:08 AM »
Has anyone come up with a scheme to power this sensor outdoors?

Depends what you mean by 'outdoors'. Couple of scenarios:

1. Close by a house or office where a mains-derived DC supply could still reach. My best guess for this at present is eg a 5m extension cable for the DC jack, but you'd need to ensure that the cable joint was indoors.

2. Remote from any likely AC supply: I'd guess that a 6612 Solar PSU would work (6v @ 50-100mA seems to be the likely current draw), but I think that Davis are seeking to validate this. It's rather an expensive PSU option though. Remember that the DC supply is USB type at the adapter end (but DC jack at the AL sensor, ie like a console) so any solar USB power pack could work in principle, but getting a powerful enough rating for 24/7/365 use could be the challenge.

Remember also that this is a WiFi device with no demountable antenna so always needs to be in WiFi range.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 09:06:06 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2020, 08:47:54 AM »
Has anyone come up with a scheme to power this sensor outdoors?

Depends what you mean by 'outdoors'. Couple of scenarios:

1. Close by a house or office where a mains-derived DC supply could still reach. My best guess for this at present is eg a 5m extension cable for the DC jack, but you'd need to ensure that the cable joint was indoors.

2. Remote from any likely AC supply: I'm guess that a 6612 Solar PSU would work (6v @ 50-100mA seems to be the likely current draw), but I think that Davis are seeking to validate this. It's rather an expensive PSU option though. Remember that the DC supply is USB type so any solar USB power pack could work in principle, but getting a powerful enough rating could be the challenge.

Remember also that this is a WiFi device with no demountable antenna so always needs to be in WiFi range.

I would prefer Option 2. I don't want to run mains power for it.

I am well within WiFi range.

Greg H.

Offline spweather

• Contributor
    • Sand Point Weather
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2020, 10:07:36 AM »
Since I have PVC conduit running underground to the post holding my Davis ISS and PurpleAir sensor. I cut the PurpleAir power adapter cord midway and spliced in 25 feet of 18 gauge wire. So the AC adapter is plugged into a GFCI in the garage.

Dennis
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 10:26:29 AM by spweather »
Regards,
Dennis

- Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus w/24hr FARS
- Davis (Ultra)Sonic Anemometer
- Boltek/MicroLDN TOA Lightening Detection
- Porcupine Labs LR4/Fluke 414D Laser Rangefinder snow depth measuring sensor

Offline srpawski

« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2020, 10:34:47 AM »
If you have an existing outdoor plug, you can buy an extension cord and cut the female end of it off and wire it to a GFI unit inside a weatherproof box with a weatherproof cover.  Wire up the cut extension cord as your line input to the GFI.  Plug in the extension cord to your existing outside plug.  Plug the AirLink into the GFI outlet.  Alternatively, if you didn't want to use a GFI, you could put in one of the USB outlets and skip using the AC adapter since the USB end would plug into the duplex.  I am opting for the GFI and if there are issues with the adapter, which I don't think there will be, I will resort to option 2.

Offline bishopweather

• Bishopweather.com
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2020, 07:51:11 AM »
Just got mine yesterday and have outside in a temporary location til I figure out what i want for power at the permanent location. The unit is really quiet!  Just ordered another for indoor duties.   Easy setup and fast.   Seems to be inline with other purple air units and the one official monitor.   

Bishopweather.com
Davis Vantage Pro2 weather station
Stardot Netcam XL3mp
Weatherlink IP

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2020, 02:33:19 PM »
My original idea was to mount this inside of my Novalynx thermometer shelter. This is on the opposite side of my deck from the closest power outlet.

If I mount the AQ sensor on the side nearest this outlet, I could power it from there.

Is there any sensitivity to temperature/sunlight?

I can somewhat shield it from direct sunlight during early morning and in the afternoon it would be in the shade in this location. Not as good as the shelter, but it might be OK.

Greg H.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2020, 02:48:43 PM »
As far as I'm aware, the main issue re shielding and outside use is with T/H readings so that's the aspect to bear in mind. I believe that any effect on the AQ readings is minor, but at the same time obviously not a good idea to mount it exposed to the midday sun for several hours.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline mihec

« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2020, 02:23:55 AM »
I have an issue with the IP address assignment - every one day or so the sensor decides to take another IP address despite I've set it to a fixed assignment in my DHCP server. Anyone experienced this issue?

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2020, 07:27:11 PM »
I just sinatlled mine, I got lucky that I have a cover patio with electrical sockets every where for this purpose.
I will post pic soon, but for now, AirLink and Purple Air only deviate by .1 PM, very impressive!

Note: I installed the AirLink in the opposite side of the Purple Link for the sakes of testing data accuracy.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 07:29:38 PM by txweather.org »

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2020, 02:24:57 PM »
I see that  the map at weatherlink.com now has a separately-selectable overlay for Air Quality.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2020, 04:55:36 PM »
I see that  the map at weatherlink.com now has a separately-selectable overlay for Air Quality.

yeah though its a pity you cannot view indoor airlinks on the map even though they are set to public.  On PurpleAir map any indoor ones are set with a black circle around them just to identify the indoor ones.

looks like we have about 15 or so in the UK now. [tup]
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 05:06:06 PM by ConligWX »
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline jasonmfarrow

• JMFweather
    • JMFweather
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2020, 04:55:42 AM »
I've received one of these last friday. I'm a bit concerned by the variability of its readings. I have two sensors right next to each other in the same room (conservatory). The Davis Airlink and a Nova SDS011. Here's a graph of the last 24-hours of the two sensors:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
The Airlink is often reading much lower than the SDS011. It also has the tendency to read zero values (< 0.01 microgrammes/M3) when the SDS011 is reading ~1.5 & ~2.5 on PM2.5 and PM10 values respectively. My air is good (at present; see: https://aqicn.org/station/united-kingdom/basingstoke-and-deane/ibasings39/) but it's not totally devoid of particles.

How reliable do we think the Airlink really is?
JMFweather.uk

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2020, 08:01:10 AM »
I don't have any other sensors to compare to. However, when I register zero or close to, both PM 10 and 2.5, it ties in with the UK emissions maps.

PM2.5

https://postimg.cc/8jSHnNN5

My airlink is zero.

PM10:

https://postimg.cc/8jSHnNN5

My airlink is 0.6

I've got all values and AQI's updating every 1 minute on my site if you want to compare at any time.