Author Topic: Signing Up for CoCoRaHS & COOP  (Read 8032 times)

Offline DJMWX86

• Senior Contributor
  • I LOVE WX!
Signing Up for CoCoRaHS & COOP
« on: March 24, 2010, 03:12:18 PM »
Hello all,

I'm interested in signing up for these 2 organizations to be move involved with my hobby and love of weather.

COOP: Do I need to contact my local NWS to see if they need a COOP station?

CoCoRaHS: How do I sign up? Is there a class to take? Is it easy? Any testimonials would be helpful.
Thanks.
Doug
CW2334=CWOP
KOHMOREL1=WUnderground
OH-CY-13=CoCoRaHS
WX Station: Davis VP2 6152 (Wireless)
WX OS: VWS 15.00
VWSaprs: v. 2.0.2.0.

[

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: Signing Up for CoCoRaHS & COOP
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 03:20:43 PM »
Hello all,

I'm interested in signing up for these 2 organizations to be move involved with my hobby and love of weather.

COOP: Do I need to contact my local NWS to see if they need a COOP station?

CoCoRaHS: How do I sign up? Is there a class to take? Is it easy? Any testimonials would be helpful.

CoCoRaHS:  http://cocorahs.org

There is lots of information there.  You will need to buy one of their gauges, but all the training info is free there.

Coop:  http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/coop/
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 03:42:49 PM »
I'm a cooperative observer for NWS and a CoCoRaHS observer.
Contact the Cooperative Program Manager at your regional NWS office.  Ask that you be placed on their list of volunteers.  They may need an observer now or you'll be contacted when an opening occurs.  Give your exact physical address and latitude/longitude coordinates.

Go to www.cocorahs.org to volunteer as an observer.  You must use the manual 4 inch professional rain gauge.  You must be trained prior to submitting precipitation reports.  Training can be online anytime or at a meeting.

Coop observers tend to hold on to the stations for life.  My station was begun in 1952 and I'm only the third operator.  My predecessor operated LXTG1 for 33 years.  I've been observing for NWS since April 2004.
Al
LXTG1 NWS Oglethorpe County Weather Station
GA-OG-1 CoCoRaHS Observer.

It gives me credibility when I can qualify my weather data by saying that my equipment is provided by and checked by NWS.  "The official NWS temperature in Downtown Lexington is . . . . . . . . ".
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 04:15:06 PM by wxtech »
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline DJMWX86

• Senior Contributor
  • I LOVE WX!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 11:04:41 AM »
Does any one know if Ohio takes part in the CoCoRaHS Hail Pad portion of data recording?
For snow, can I use my own snow board?

I'm going to e-mail my COOP NWS rep today and ask to be placed on their volunteer list.
Thanks.
Doug
CW2334=CWOP
KOHMOREL1=WUnderground
OH-CY-13=CoCoRaHS

[

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 11:50:16 AM »
Does any one know if Ohio takes part in the CoCoRaHS Hail Pad portion of data recording?
For snow, can I use my own snow board?
I'm going to e-mail my COOP NWS rep today and ask to be placed on their volunteer list.
Questions to be answered by your state and local coordinators.
http://www.cocorahs.org/Content.aspx?page=coord_OH
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline DJMWX86

• Senior Contributor
  • I LOVE WX!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 02:48:57 PM »
I e-mailed one of the OH cords and we don't use the hail pads and I can use my own snow board.  :grin:
How does COOP members submit their data?
Thanks.
Doug
CW2334=CWOP
KOHMOREL1=WUnderground
OH-CY-13=CoCoRaHS

[

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 03:41:42 PM »

How does COOP members submit their data?
Those procedures are covered in the training online or at a meeting or you can request training from your local CoCoRaHS Coordinator.  Your area procedures may vary from what I taught at our county meetings. 
http://www.cocorahs.org/Content.aspx?page=training_slideshows
Precipitation is reported online after you apply for and receive a station ID from CoCoRaHS.  They will inform you how to sign in and report.
Most reporting is online but you can call in precip data.
Don't report precip data until you complete the training.

Offline DJMWX86

• Senior Contributor
  • I LOVE WX!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 07:29:25 PM »
I'm now a member of CoCoRaHS.  \:D/  I am reporting every day and still looking over the training materials but I'm glad I did it. I just now have to get used to reporting my data early in the morning.  :roll:
Thanks.
Doug
CW2334=CWOP
KOHMOREL1=WUnderground
OH-CY-13=CoCoRaHS

[

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 07:45:45 PM »
I'm now a member of CoCoRaHS.  \:D/  I am reporting every day and still looking over the training materials but I'm glad I did it. I just now have to get used to reporting my data early in the morning.  :roll:

Congrats Doug! Welcome to the CoCoRaHS team. =D>
Bill

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 08:05:22 PM »

Welcome to the 7:am-rain-or-shine-cold-or-hot-sick-or-well-read-the-rain-gauge army!

#-o

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 08:16:04 PM »
Welcome CoCoRaisin.  Keep up reporting those zeros along with the wet numbers.  Zeros are just as important.  The users of your data needs to know also where it didn't rain. =D>
Be careful when you report also.  If you submit your report before 7 your default time, change the report time.  I see you were eager a few times and submitted your 7 am report before 7 am. 
Al

Offline DJMWX86

• Senior Contributor
  • I LOVE WX!
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 10:45:52 PM »
Did I do it to early? That's weird because I don't remember doing it that early as I would probally still be asleep  :lol:
What is the latest that we can submit our report and still have it show on the map? 9:30am I think it was?
Thanks.
Doug
CW2334=CWOP
KOHMOREL1=WUnderground
OH-CY-13=CoCoRaHS

[

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 10:58:53 PM »
Did I do it to early? That's weird because I don't remember doing it that early as I would probally still be asleep  :lol:
What is the latest that we can submit our report and still have it show on the map? 9:30am I think it was?
I'm just a stickler for details.  Don't worry. 
Your report form has the date and time pre-filled in.  If you submit your data earlier than your default report time; you should change the report time.  Yesterday, you submitted the 7am report @ 6:48am.  That's not bad but some folks are submitting their 7am reports a lot earlier.  I try to wait until after 7 to submit my report.
Cuyahoga county doesn't have a coordinator, you should fill that duty.

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 08:59:54 AM »
If you find that 7am is not convenient, they can change your default time if you request.  I submit mine at 5:45 am each day because I normally leave the house by 6.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline DJMWX86

• Senior Contributor
  • I LOVE WX!
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 10:42:34 AM »
I guess if it rains I'll make my self get up and read the gauge at 7am and submit it. If it rains days on end then that will be a bit of a pain.  ](*,)   In my area we just have region cords and not county. The northern Ohio cord is at the Cleveland NWS. See: http://www.cocorahs.org/Content.aspx?page=coord_OH

I'm still trying to figure out how to use the Significant weather form. How and when do I use this one?
Thanks.
Doug
CW2334=CWOP
KOHMOREL1=WUnderground
OH-CY-13=CoCoRaHS

[

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 11:11:23 AM »
I guess if it rains I'll make my self get up and read the gauge at 7am and submit it. If it rains days on end then that will be a bit of a pain.  ](*,)   In my area we just have region cords and not county. The northern Ohio cord is at the Cleveland NWS. See: http://www.cocorahs.org/Content.aspx?page=coord_OH

I'm still trying to figure out how to use the Significant weather form. How and when do I use this one?
Cuyahoga county has 13 registered stations.  That is enough to warrant a county coordinator.  Lots of counties don't have coordinators because no one volunteered.  It's a great job.  I was the first in my county until I needed to go on to other jobs. 

The significant weather that I'm most concerned with is rain amount in a short period.  NWS guideline is if it rains .3 inches in an hour, then they want to know about it.  Not greater than .3 inches per hour, but .3 inches accumulated in an hour.  I also report high winds, lightning, dense fog and flooding.

Offline Shaw55

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 11:48:26 AM »

Hi,

I am also considering joining either CoCoRaHS, COOP or both. CoCoRaHS seems like the logical first step.

I was wondering. After looking at the COOP service manual document 10-1315, it seems there are a variety of different monitoring equipment the NWS can install on your property. Which sensors did they install at your site?

I'm not sure my location would be very good for the COOP as we own just a little over 1/2 acre. 1/4 acre is all trees and the house sits on the other 1/4 acre surrounded by trees with a running brook within 12 feet of one corner.

Richard
Richard
CWOP DW4847
CoCoRaHS MA-BE-4
Davis Vantage Vue, Weatherlink 6.0.3

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 12:52:03 PM »

Hi,

I am also considering joining either CoCoRaHS, COOP or both. CoCoRaHS seems like the logical first step.

I was wondering. After looking at the COOP service manual document 10-1315, it seems there are a variety of different monitoring equipment the NWS can install on your property. Which sensors did they install at your site?

I'm not sure my location would be very good for the COOP as we own just a little over 1/2 acre. 1/4 acre is all trees and the house sits on the other 1/4 acre surrounded by trees with a running brook within 12 feet of one corner.

Richard
Volunteer for both.  CoCoRaHS needs your precipation data.  NWS Coop may not need a station at your location.  Get your name on their list, it may take years for before they need you.
In April 2004 the Regional Coop Program Manager installed a Nimbus Max/min temperature system, a Standard Rain Gauge (8 inch), and a Fischer-Porter Weighing Rain Gauge.  The F-P was refurbished Jan 2010.  It wasn't my option to select the equipment.  He asked where I wanted the equipment and he surveyed the location.  He determined that it was satisfactory and complied with their siting requirements.
You should designate and train someone who will step in and do your daily duties as your 'second' in case you are not able to make the daily report.  This is not unattended equipment and requires a daily observation and report.

Offline Shaw55

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 04:55:53 PM »
In April 2004 the Regional Coop Program Manager installed a Nimbus Max/min temperature system, a Standard Rain Gauge (8 inch), and a Fischer-Porter Weighing Rain Gauge.  The F-P was refurbished Jan 2010.  It wasn't my option to select the equipment.  He asked where I wanted the equipment and he surveyed the location.  He determined that it was satisfactory and complied with their siting requirements.
You should designate and train someone who will step in and do your daily duties as your 'second' in case you are not able to make the daily report.  This is not unattended equipment and requires a daily observation and report.

Thanks for sharing your site info.

I had a question about what to do in case I was absent from my property for a time and your last statement provided the answer.

Richard
Richard
CWOP DW4847
CoCoRaHS MA-BE-4
Davis Vantage Vue, Weatherlink 6.0.3

Offline DJMWX86

• Senior Contributor
  • I LOVE WX!
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 10:33:03 PM »
I'm not a COOP reporter and only chose CoCoRaHS because I felt like that and COOP reporting would be a bit much for me right now. I'm just happy I'm able to contribute any way I can to that and other great data bases ie CWOP, WUnderground, etc.  :grin:
Thanks.
Doug
CW2334=CWOP
KOHMOREL1=WUnderground
OH-CY-13=CoCoRaHS

[

anything