Author Topic: Inner Cylinder Leak Repair  (Read 5482 times)

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
Inner Cylinder Leak Repair
« on: September 07, 2009, 07:33:32 AM »
We received a little over 1/2 inch of rain over the night which was the first rain here in better than 7 days. Anyway when I read the CoCORaHS collector this morning I found I had developed a leak at the seam near the bottom. No collected water was lost due to the outer cylinder catching the flow which was a good thing :-)

Has anyone had any luck repairing a leak in this location?  I was thinking some epoxy placed at the exact leak spot might take care of it but before I botch up the one I have and have to order a replacement I 'd check the masses here for a valid repair :grin:

Thanks!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
Re: Inner Cylinder Leak Repair
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 08:25:24 AM »
I verified that it is "Constructed of heavy-duty, UV resistant polycarbonate" as described on the manufacturers site @ http://www.paiff.org/precision-rain-gauges.php.
I have heard that polycarb needs special surface prep and the appropriate adhesive.
I think the surface prep is cleaning with 91% alcohol and roughing the surface.
Try Weld-On #16 or their epoxies #55, 58.  I haven't tried these.  Let us know what works.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 08:54:38 AM by wxtech »
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 09:01:07 AM »
I have used Weld-On #16.  It is clear, thin enough to flow easily and sets up quickly.  I did not clean it in any special way, and it worked fine.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 10:41:30 AM »
 :-) If it's a small opening in the seam, plain ol' clear silicone can be forced in the joint with your finger.  It should allow for expansion and contraction to a certain point.

What's the age of your gauge?  Might be due for a replacement of the inner collection tube?

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 10:42:48 AM »
wrap some duct tape around it    :lol:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 12:41:03 PM »
I verified that it is "Constructed of heavy-duty, UV resistant polycarbonate" as described on the manufacturers site @ http://www.paiff.org/precision-rain-gauges.php.
I have heard that polycarb needs special surface prep and the appropriate adhesive.
I think the surface prep is cleaning with 91% alcohol and roughing the surface.
Try Weld-On #16 or their epoxies #55, 58.  I haven't tried these.  Let us know what works.

This collector is less than 1 year old and appears the leak is in the near center of the bottom.
What I have tried so far is cleaning as you mentioned and have applied a clear epoxy( 2 part)

All this took place within the last few hours and is beginning to harden completely now..

I'll know in a few hours if it worked or not  :-)

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 12:43:28 PM »
:-) If it's a small opening in the seam, plain ol' clear silicone can be forced in the joint with your finger.  It should allow for expansion and contraction to a certain point.

What's the age of your gauge?  Might be due for a replacement of the inner collection tube?

Henry

This one is less than 1 year old. It has always had what appeared as a casting defect in the area that now leaks.
Coverage or replacement would definitely be nice   :grin:      Hopefully my 2 part epoxy fix will hold in case there is no
warranty claim

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 06:38:42 PM »
 :-) O.K. Wayne...good luck with the repair.  Only a year old?  Bummer...but it appears you have the repair under control, sir!
 =D> =D> =D>

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 07:26:42 PM »
:-) O.K. Wayne...good luck with the repair.  Only a year old?  Bummer...but it appears you have the repair under control, sir!
 =D> =D> =D>

Henry

Thanks Henry!!  I hope I have LOL!!
Anyway it appears that the fix is holding...water that is :-)
I used Permatex PermaPoxy 2 part 5 minute Epoxy which dries almost clear and applied it on the bottom of the cylinder and allowed to harden.

So far so good!!  If it don't hold Greg had the right idea... Duct tape!!  That is the generic fix all  :lol:

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 11:24:55 AM »

So far so good!!  If it don't hold Greg had the right idea... Duct tape!!  That is the generic fix all  :lol:

Yep it can fix anything. 
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09