Author Topic: WL & Wunderground Precipitaiton Amounts  (Read 581 times)

Offline METARMan

• Contributor
    • PANAZAR44
WL & Wunderground Precipitaiton Amounts
« on: November 09, 2019, 08:47:03 AM »
Hello,

I asked this question in a e-mail to Weather Underground but I haven't received a reply.

I'm using WeatherLink Live (WLL) to send data to Weather Underground from my VP 2.   

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KPANAZAR44

Instead of showing proper precipitation amounts, Weather Underground seems to be taking the "past 24 hour" precipitation amount from WLL (the rolling, 24-hour look back number) instead of the calendar day precipitation amount.

Therefore, on days there was no precipitation (November 8, for example), Weather Underground shows I had 0.41" because it looked at the "previous 24-hour" amount instead of the calendar day amount.

Is there anyway to fix this?

Regards,

METARMan

(Image shows November 8th from Weather Underground.  There was no precipitation this day, but Weather Underground keeps looking at the previous "24 hour" precipitation amount).  As time passes, the precipitation amount displayed on Weather Underground shows less and less and the rain event is further and further away from the observation time.)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: WL & Wunderground Precipitaiton Amounts
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 09:08:50 AM »
Is there anyway to fix this?

Difficult to see how there could be (any way for you to fix it I mean). The data is presumably arriving at weatherlink.com correctly and then there are two possible causes:

1. Davis is not forwarding the rainfall data correctly to WU. (Possibly, but doubtful;)

2. WU is misinterpreting the data received. (Much more likely I would have thought, given their history;)

If WU won't reply then you could try asking Davis whether they're aware of any specific problem with WLL rainfall data and WU.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline METARMan

• Contributor
    • PANAZAR44
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 09:30:24 AM »
Haven’t been able to get a response from Weather Underground but I did get one from Davis, who said they weren’t aware of any problem. 

It does seem as though using my WeatherLink Live to transmit directly to WUnderground the “daily” precipitation amount is not being used and should be.   Instead, the “previous 24 hour” precipitation amount is used. 

Has anyone else experienced this?

Perhaps if it is common among other WeatherLinks Davis may be able to get it fixed. 

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 10:16:18 AM »
For a better Weather Underground (WU) experience I would recommend uploading to WU directly (using other hardware/software). The WeatherLink Live (WLL) is not uploading directly to WU. The WLL is uploading to Weatherlink.com which then sends your data to WU. Because of the Weatherlink.com plan you are on this WU upload is limited to once every 15 minutes. You can add other hardware/software to get data from your WLL on your local network. Then this other hardware/software solution can send data to WU directly and it can do so every 3 seconds or any frequency you like. You'll gain more live access to your data online. This is desirable to see more wind gusts and rain rate and rainfall accumulation without having to wait 15 minutes. It also gives thing like temperature graphs more little peaks as there is more data and details. You'll more clearly see spikes instead of smoother lines.

There are several hardware/software solutions you can use to accomplish this. With these solutions you'll also gain the ability to send your data to even more online services like PWSweather, WeatherCloud, AWEKAS, and many others. If you currently send to CWOP you'll be able to increase your upload from every 15 minutes to every 5 minutes. You'll also be able to send data to a personal website which isn't that difficult to set up using one of many popular weather website templates.

These hardware/software solutions are:
  • Meteobridge device (or WeatherBridge from Ambient which also gets you upload to Ambientweather.net)
  • WeeWx, Cumulus, or Weather-Display software running on any old computer you have or even a Raspberry Pi.
  • * WiFiLogger which I would normally list as an option but you are selling your console and you can't use this with a WeatherLink Live.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

anything