Author Topic: WeatherLink Console 6313 has arrived!  (Read 40824 times)

Offline darlingtonweather

Re: WeatherLink Console 6313 has arrived!
« Reply #500 on: February 09, 2024, 04:07:55 AM »
V1.4 changelog

Welcome to Version 1.4!

Thank you for being a valued Davis weather watcher! As we near the first anniversary of our WeatherLink Console's introduction, we'd like to highlight the features in this fourth software release:

Added AirLink Support

Customers who have added an AirLink air quality monitor to their console can now view historical data in the chart section.

New Display Tile Combinations

• Navigate to the console's customization section to find the following new options:
    Daily Rain Total + Yearly Rain Total
    Storm Total + Yearly Rain Total
    10-minute Average Wind Speed + 10-minute High Wind Speed 2-minute Average Wind Speed + 2-minute High Wind Speed

Storage Space Optimization

The console's memory now better optimizes space to ensure room for decades of historical highs/lows, and graphable data.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 04:09:47 AM by darlingtonweather »

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #501 on: February 09, 2024, 07:59:46 AM »
Have to say that the announcement alert/popup on the automatic v1.4.14 firmware install froze my console overnight and needed a R-reset to clear. The firmware had apparently downloaded and installed OK, but I suspect that the alert somehow blocked return to normal operation. Maybe it's just my console?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 08:35:05 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #502 on: February 09, 2024, 08:25:56 AM »
I noticed the update myself this morning. Just needed to clear the update message and it worked fine.

I tried the 10 minute Average and 10 minute High wind display. Am I correct in assuming that this is the same value as the VUE "Last 10 Minute Gust" in that display?

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Bellmac

• N7DTY CWOP
« Reply #503 on: February 09, 2024, 10:24:28 AM »
Saw the update message this morning and cleared it.  Things seem to be working.  I'm still satisfied with the new unit, which I have had for a couple of months.

We had some very cold weather this year(~6F one morning).  My  ISS sensor package would occasionally stop sending in the middle of the night, so it may be time to switch out the backup battery.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 10:28:47 AM by Bellmac »

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #504 on: February 09, 2024, 10:42:56 AM »
The pop up update window cleared no problem for me this morning.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #505 on: February 09, 2024, 10:44:50 AM »
Have to say that the announcement alert/popup on the automatic v1.4.14 firmware install froze my console overnight and needed a R-reset to clear. The firmware had apparently downloaded and installed OK, but I suspect that the alert somehow blocked return to normal operation. Maybe it's just my console?
Mine did the same thing, so what I had to do is turn the unit to the back.  There are 3 tiny holes, the second is (if you can see the letter) "R";   I had to take a paper clip, insert it until i felt it click.  then reconnect the power, hang it back on the wall and wait for it to reset it self.  Now I am fine.  for me I have had to do this all the time when there is an update

R button reset: Careful examination of the back of the console above the position of the USB power socket will reveal 3 pinholes labelled P, R and U. (These are more easily seen if the stand is temporarily removed and, if necessary, using the magnifier app and light on most mobile phones.) The R pinhole will actually trigger a reset/reboot if eg the end of a paperclip is pushed into the hole. A simple single press/click of the button seems to be all that is needed. Note that it will take a couple of minute for the reboot process to complete fully and for all readings to be restored. Be patient!

This is not currently documented by Davis and is subject to further clarification – use only when necessary, though it does appear to work cleanly and easily. This function seems simply to restart the console app and no settings are lost, though it may take a few minutes for a new value of some data values like a 10-minute mean wind speed to be calculated. The purpose of the P and U pinholes is currently unknown (though maybe they stand for Program and Update).

Factory reset There is an interface button on the Device Information screen to perform a Factory Reset. Use this option ONLY if you really intend to:

!
Pressing the Factory Reset button will clear all of the console memory and you will lose all of your settings and stored data. It should only be used if for example you are selling your 6313 console and deliberately want to erase all of your settings and data, or if directed to do so by Davis support. Note also that it is reported that using Factory Reset returns the firmware to whatever version was installed during initial manufacture. An update will therefore then be needed to whatever the latest available firmware version might be.

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #506 on: February 09, 2024, 10:46:04 AM »
On the email, they invited us to comment on the console.  I complained about the 'forecast' tile being grossly off all the time compared to WU forecast, and requested a push from WU instead of the horrible company I've never heard of pushing the forecast.  It's so bad, I deleted that tile from the display because it ticks me off how it's always wrong (like 10-15 degrees off forecast highs/lows).

edit:  the source of the forecast is something called 'Custom Weather'.   Davis, ditch that crap!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 11:36:10 AM by Sigdigit »

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #507 on: February 09, 2024, 11:40:46 AM »
I commented also.  I also sent an email to support at Davis about my experience today, that they need to explain the difference between the P, U, R on the back.  and why some consoles appear to be functioning, but are not sending data and the time of the day at the top my the station name isn't correct and a clue that nothing is being updated on line or the phone app.
  I will wait with baited breath.

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #508 on: February 09, 2024, 12:19:33 PM »
I ordered one of these yesterday from Davis and paid for next-day delivery. Today I received a UPS notice that the delivery has been rescheduled and that while the label has been created according to the tracking information that's all that has happened. Your problems with this unit may have gotten them to rethink the firmware on it. At least I hope so.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #509 on: February 09, 2024, 02:26:34 PM »
Your problems with this unit may have gotten them to rethink the firmware on it. At least I hope so.

Wishful thinking I fear. Almost certainly just a regular shipping delay. The 6313 console has been generally well-received (remember also that what you see on this forum represents only a small fraction of Davis purchasers) and I would fully expect that further firmware development will be proceeding nominally and as per roadmap.

There are no ongoing issues with the firmware that I am aware of. Needing a reboot after new firmware installation is not something unusual in the device world surely? It shouldn't be necessary, but it's a pretty minor glitch. Are there extra features that some users want to see asap or opinions that some features could have been done differently? Sure. But ultimately Davis call the shots on the the features that they choose to prioritise.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #510 on: February 09, 2024, 02:32:12 PM »
Your problems with this unit may have gotten them to rethink the firmware on it. At least I hope so.

Wishful thinking I fear. Almost certainly just a regular shipping delay. The 6313 console has been generally well-received (remember also that what you see on this forum represents only a small fraction of Davis purchasers) and I would fully expect that further firmware development will be proceeding nominally and as per roadmap.

There are no ongoing issues with the firmware that I am aware of. Needing a reboot after new firmware installation is not something unusual in the device world surely? It shouldn't be necessary, but it's a pretty minor glitch. Are there extra features that some users want to see asap or opinions that some features could have been done differently? Sure. But ultimately Davis call the shots on the the features that they choose to prioritise.
I agree. However a simple trigger to reboot the unit after firmware updates can't be that difficult to install in the updater, can it?
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #511 on: February 09, 2024, 02:57:03 PM »
There has been a reboot trigger I think. But there have also been requests to Davis to provide more information about what each new F/W update contains - hence the newish pop-up alert. I haven't watched an update actually happen (since it's at 3am!) but I suspect it reboots then shows the info alert. The problem for me today (and Aardvark too by the sound of it) was that the clicking on the alert button was not clearing the alert (ie it was modal) and hence the console couldn't resume normal operation without a reset. Probably just a trivial bug and it only seems to have affected a few of us. Why some and not others? Who knows??? The joys of coding.  :-)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 03:21:27 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline srpawski

« Reply #512 on: February 10, 2024, 06:04:09 AM »
Both of mine no issues pressed the clear button and they disappeared and act as normal.  I wonder if these nuances between units have to do with hardware more than firmware, if there is a certain batch of chips or boards that are causing it.  It almost seems like it could be since the firmware is identical on all units.

Offline w4rwf

« Reply #513 on: February 11, 2024, 06:05:41 PM »
I guess my usually not so good luck when it comes to electronic problems didn't play out this time. My console has had problems from the beginning but this update to 1.4 seems to have cured all of it's ills. The update actually worked without having to reboot the system manually by the "R" button on the back and in the settings screen it seems that radio buttons that refused to work before are now working and the pressing of any radio button from the main screen to the settings screens seem to work much smoother now without the herky jerky response from the buttons I was getting before. Don't know but made me a happier camper.

On the other hand Davis was supposed to have sent me a replacement console but it has never shown up. That was 2 weeks ago. :-k
Doesn't really look like I need it now anyway.

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #514 on: March 06, 2024, 07:13:19 PM »
I was bored, so I went to the customize display option and turned high contrast mode off. It didn't turn it off, it just changed the windrose font colour to a navy blue.  #-o

Offline tomas21

« Reply #515 on: March 06, 2024, 07:29:21 PM »
I was bored, so I went to the customize display option and turned high contrast mode off. It didn't turn it off, it just changed the windrose font colour to a navy blue.  #-o

Agree, since the latest update I'm noticing the performance of my console settings for Ambient Light tracking and brightness has suffered... it use to react and brighten more appropriately... Could be coincidence but curious what others have observed with the latest update.

Console Firmware: 1.1.14
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 07:54:52 PM by tomas21 »

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #516 on: March 06, 2024, 07:48:23 PM »
https://ibb.co/v3RCQcs

Around two software versions back, someone at Davis said to me that it had been fixed in the previous version, until I showed them that I still had issues with it. I then got a reply saying they identified the problem, and it would be fixed in the next release (v1.3)
To  be honest, I never checked after that. However, there clearly still an issue. I've ran out of words to describe the problems with Davis and this console. It's shameful and wholly unacceptable.

Offline GaryGo

• Backyard weather station enthusiast
    • gary.gocek.org
« Reply #517 on: March 09, 2024, 11:00:30 AM »
On the email, they invited us to comment on the console.  I complained about the 'forecast' tile being grossly off all the time compared to WU forecast, and requested a push from WU instead of the horrible company I've never heard of pushing the forecast.  It's so bad, I deleted that tile from the display because it ticks me off how it's always wrong (like 10-15 degrees off forecast highs/lows).

edit:  the source of the forecast is something called 'Custom Weather'.   Davis, ditch that crap!

Thanks for this comment, I also am frustrated with the forecast on my console (installed March 3, 2024, firmware 1.4.14). I am still puttering with this, but it seems like the forecast does not update on the screen each day unless I go into the "home" configuration screen and then return back to the conditions screen. My station current conditions update ok, it is the forecast  that does not immediately update. Also, the console forecast is different than the phone app forecast. It seems like the console screen is showing a different point in time, like, predicted rainfall over the next 24 hours versus rainfall today. I also wish I could change the source of the forecast or other details, like the time period of the predicted rainfall.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 11:02:50 AM by GaryGo »
GaryGo
Davis Vantage Vue 6357 w/console 6313, Basic plan, 3/3/24-present.
Acurite Pro 02064C/999143, 2016-2024.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #518 on: April 04, 2024, 07:24:41 AM »
Firmware v1.4.17 appeared here overnight. A minimal update, presumably just a couple of minor bug fixes, but sadly the release notes do not seem to have been updated with any further information,
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline GaryGo

• Backyard weather station enthusiast
    • gary.gocek.org
« Reply #519 on: April 04, 2024, 07:49:58 AM »
Firmware v1.4.17 appeared here overnight. A minimal update, presumably just a couple of minor bug fixes, but sadly the release notes do not seem to have been updated with any further information,
I have also received the update. I have a weatherlink account, I wish they would send an email. I recently complained that I adjusted my console to show forecast temps and rain, but the screen doesn't update automatically (I have to hit the Home button and go back again to see updated forecast values). My station values update in real time no problem, the only issue is with forecast updates. So, I'll watch the screen today to see if the values change (too late this morning, I already touched the screen).  :shock:
GaryGo
Davis Vantage Vue 6357 w/console 6313, Basic plan, 3/3/24-present.
Acurite Pro 02064C/999143, 2016-2024.

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #520 on: April 04, 2024, 05:40:29 PM »
Still have the high contrast on/off bug. It's beyond pathetic that this is still an ongoing issue.

I sent Davis an email a few weeks back.. now, I'm not knocking anyone with reading/writing difficulties, but the reply I got back from them looked like a 6 year old or a drunk person had written it. I couldn't even decipher some of the words it was that bad. Very weird.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 05:43:39 PM by Mapantz »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #521 on: April 04, 2024, 06:13:34 PM »
I'm not knocking anyone with reading/writing difficulties, but the reply I got back from them looked like a 6 year old or a drunk person had written it. I couldn't even decipher some of the words it was that bad. Very weird.
Probably DEI. Not kidding.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #522 on: April 06, 2024, 05:46:25 AM »
I haven't visited this thread in a while. Was hoping things were better. It seems like they are still having issues.
I check back next year and see if things have improved. :roll:

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #523 on: April 06, 2024, 06:10:39 AM »
I haven't visited this thread in a while. Was hoping things were better. It seems like they are still having issues.

As far as I am aware, the substantial majority of 6313 users have zero issues with the current firmware not behaving as designed. My own console continues to roll on with no issues that I can spot. But I would add 3 qualifications:

1. Certainly there are additional features that some users would like to see or things done differently in some specific way. Perhaps the top item on the wishlist is a local API for the 6313. It's always going to be the case that people want more, but it's not really a fault or issue of the existing console spec. And I'm sure that further new features will continue to slowly appear.

2. Very occasionally after a firmware update, my console will need a reboot. But that's honestly no different from any other computer system.

3. I know that there are a few users who still do have genuine issues with their console firmware not behaving as expected. That's deeply disappointing and frustrating I know, but as far as I can tell these instances mostly date back to consoles in the first manufacturing batch. It's been quite a while since I heard of any similar issues with current manufacturing batches.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Bellmac

• N7DTY CWOP
« Reply #524 on: April 06, 2024, 10:47:14 AM »
I would echo JohnD.  I have had my unit for 4 months now with no problems (other than me getting familiar with it).  I use my 6313 as a secondary display with my Vantage Pro2 as the primary unit.  I suppose it is possible that there are some earlier 6313 units that have some quirks, but I am just speculating.  So, I am pretty satisfied so far.  I think the biggest issue with the 6313 is the price, which is typically around $350 in the US.  You can buy a decent quality 10" Samsung tablet for $100 to $150.  So, conceivably my secondary display could have been an Android tablet with an Android app (similar to the current Weatherlink app) that duplicates the display functions of the 6313.  The main thing would be a tablet would not have the same indoor sensors that the 6313 does (although if you really need those indoor sensors, you could have a basic indoor Wi-Fi sensor package) and could not received sensor information directly.