Weather Station Hardware > Ambient Weather and Ecowitt and other Fine Offset clones

Warning: Not all Ambient Weather Stations are made by Fine Offset

<< < (5/5)

Chucktin:
This discussion is certainly enlightening! I bought an Ambient "Falcon" WS-8478 from Amazon. It works and we get (very) local data from it. So as a starter it's OK. But getting it to report data to Ambient Net or Weather Underground? That's a laugh.
I spent the last week wrestling with the Internet settings and just maybe I've got it to report to ... somewhere in cyber space. Also the manual - who "writes", well assembles, garbage like that.

ambientweather:

--- Quote from: Chucktin on June 09, 2020, 04:46:43 PM ---This discussion is certainly enlightening! I bought an Ambient "Falcon" WS-8478 from Amazon. It works and we get (very) local data from it. So as a starter it's OK. But getting it to report data to Ambient Net or Weather Underground? That's a laugh.
I spent the last week wrestling with the Internet settings and just maybe I've got it to report to ... somewhere in cyber space. Also the manual - who "writes", well assembles, garbage like that.

--- End quote ---
Sorry you are having an issue. I wrote the manual.

Feel free to email me eedelman@ambientweather.com, and I will be happy to assist you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

galfert:
If you have ever tried to write a technical manual you might realize that it is much more difficult than it sounds. Do you dumb it down so much that it helps the novice and risks boring the skilled hobbyists? Also if you dumb it down too much then there is potential for information overload and you'll lose your novice audience. If you provide high level complexity even if it isn't a lot of information then the novice will not understand it. It is impossible to write a manual to suit every potential user's skill level. I've glanced over the manual (out of curiosity) and it seems appropriate to me for the majority of users.

I'm curious to know exactly how the manual is garbage? Ambient manuals can't be that bad if Ecowitt decided to appropriate it for themselves (for the FO models) rather than them attempting to write their own.

Chucktin:
While I have not written a manual I was up close and personal with a effort to write one for software that I was hands-on from day one. It was a fiasco of the first water. For which even paying $1.00 was too much. The manual wasn't even good for TP.

Gyvate:
recent available Ambient (Fine Offset/Ecowitt clone) stations/models are listed in our MUST READ thread in chapter 5 as per August 2023

the old ObserverIP 1.0 is not mentioned as it has, even with its last firmware upgrade, limited sensor registration possibilities, whereas its successor the ObserverIP 2.0 module/gateway/hub ... is top notch

the ObserverIP 2.0 gateway is functionally equal to a WH2650/GW1100 (with the known Ambient restrictions = not able to process Ecowitt sensors)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version