Author Topic: Forum Reorganization  (Read 6383 times)

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
Forum Reorganization
« on: February 23, 2007, 11:43:51 AM »
Over the course of the next several days, we will be reorganizing wxforum.net to reduce the overall number of individual forums and hopefully make it easier to both find the information you are looking for and select the appropriate place to make your posts. As a consequence some of the information in the existing forums will be moved into new or different areas. We realize this may cause some confusion initially and ask that you bear with us as we make the changes.

During this transistion, the "Search" functions should help you to find old threads that have been reorganized.

Offline Bruiser

• Contributor
    • Miami Township (Just South of Dayton), Ohio Weather
Re: Forum Reorganization
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 12:06:51 PM »
Sounds like a good plan..

Good luck..

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 08:49:56 PM »
Pretty much done with the reorg for now. There may be additional changes later on.

I would like to take a moment to point out to folks why there were so many individual forums to begin with and the reasons/reasoning for the changes.

When Gary first formed weatherforum.net his goal was to provide a completely unbiased place where folks could discuss anything they basically wanted about anything related to the weather. That open discussion includes negative experiences/reviews as well as positive ones. While I cannot speak for Gary I feel pretty confident in saying that part of the way he approached this with the forums was to provide each manufacturer/product with equal billing by giving them each their own forums.

The unfortunate by-product of that neutrality is a huge amount of individual forums that really hurts the usability of the site. So to make the site a bit more "friendly" we've condensed the forums leaving only the more popular manfacturers/products broken out into their own forums. Unfortunately, nothing is free, and the by-product of these changes is that in some case there are now only two or three products with their own forums. The criteria for selecting which products got their own forums was based primarily on the number of posts within the forums. This was not the only criteria used though and in some cases a much more subjective view was taken.  A case in point is Weather Display. While it currently has no posts in its forum, it is undoubtedly one of the most popular pieces of software out there and as such I felt it should have it's own forum. In making these choices I have tried diligently not to allow my own biases to tilt my view, but I will be the first to admit that I may not have been 100% successful in that. Hence pointing out my choice to leave WD with it's own forum.

One other note, NO posts were deleted with the exception of 3 spam threads that were in the "Old Stuff" forum. So anything that you may have posted is still present in the forum. You just might have to do a bit of searching  to find it.

Offline edpnjax

• RiverCityWeather.Net
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 08:59:33 PM »
Thanks to all you guys, for all of your efforts and hard work that goes into running this forum!!!
Emmett

Weather for Jacksonville / St Johns FL
Davis VP2 Plus w/24hr FARS | Live Weather | Boltek / NexStorm | GRLevel3

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 11:28:11 PM »
I've always felt that there were too many different categories.  I like the changes you've made.

Offline Dragonfly

• http://www.crewe-weather.com
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 08:01:39 PM »
Sorry, but I liked the old format better, lumping together like it is now makes some topics harder to find.

-Ingo