Author Topic: WU - Let us know your issues  (Read 183937 times)

Offline Trilithon

Re: WU - Let us know your issues
« Reply #850 on: August 29, 2018, 07:02:24 PM »
Still trying, and failing to add a FTP based webcam. I have tried multiple browsers and devices to register. When I submit the form the page just reloads. My PWS has been up and running since June and I want to add a camera.

Thanks!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #851 on: August 29, 2018, 07:24:06 PM »
Still trying, and failing to add a FTP based webcam. I have tried multiple browsers and devices to register. When I submit the form the page just reloads. My PWS has been up and running since June and I want to add a camera.

Thanks!

Some tips which you may or may not already know.

- Camera FTP is for sill shots not video files, make sure your camera can upload stills.
- Your login will be blocked if you try and upload more than once a minute, I would do it every 5 or 10 minutes.
- Make sure the image you are uploading is 150kb or less. Full res images will not work.
- Sometimes you can remedy camera shortfalls by using software on a PC or NAS or other device (like a Meteobridge). You upload to the PC, NAS or device and then the software manipulates the image or extracts a still from video and reduces the size to conform and then the PC, NAS or device does the FTP upload.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:22:02 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Trilithon

« Reply #852 on: August 29, 2018, 07:35:29 PM »

Thanks!

Some tips which you may or may not already know.

- Camera FTP is for sill shots not video files, make sure your camera can upload stills.
- Your login will be blocked if you try and upload more than once a minute, I would do it every 5 or 10 minutes.
- Make sure the image you are uploading is 150kb or less. Full res images will not work.
- Sometimes you can remedy camera shortfalls by using software on a PC or NAS or other device (like a Meteobridge). You upload to the PC, NAS or device and then the software manipulates the image or extras a still from video and reduces the size to conform and then the PC, NAS or device does the FTP upload.

Thanks for the heads up, but I can't even register and associate a webcam with my PWS on WU. That is my current issue.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #853 on: August 29, 2018, 08:34:46 PM »
I just went through all the steps to create a new camera. I filled out every field required and submitted and it worked. I now see it listed as a new camera (not uploading to it yet). But there it is listed and ready to receive FTP data.

I think one of three things may be happening.

1. Your browser needs to be cleared of cookies and/or cache. You can test with a different computer, or create a new user account on your current computer, or you can try Chrome Incognito mode....I don't know if incognito will provide a solution...but it is something to test.

2. You may be trying to add a camera that is not within the allowed space. I don't know if WU has any camera location restrictions...like maybe the prohibit adding cameras outside of the US for now. I don't know, I'm making this up as a possible reason. So test adding the camera to a different location to see if the system is rejecting because of geographic location. I know that Mapbox maps have had some issues and maybe there is a problem with the map in your area.

3. It could not be you. It could totally be a WU bug issue. Maybe something is messed up with your user account with them. Try creating a new WU user account to test and see if that new user is allowed to add an FTP camera.

Regardless if you succeed in adding a camera it isn't like its something that is all so great right now. They definitely have plenty of bugs to squash and I'm sure this one is not at the top of the list. I have a camera but it falls off sometimes and needs to be re-linked as it looses its association with my Station ID. So WU has some issues here. If look at other station that I remember having cameras they are all gone. WU is dropping cameras from people's stations. People aren't bothering to re-link.

The dropping of cameras may be deliberate because of bandwidth issues. Remember they wanted to get rid of it at one point but because of backlash they changed their mind.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:39:35 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Trilithon

« Reply #854 on: August 29, 2018, 11:35:33 PM »
I just went through all the steps to create a new camera. I filled out every field required and submitted and it worked. I now see it listed as a new camera (not uploading to it yet). But there it is listed and ready to receive FTP data.

I think one of three things may be happening.

1. Your browser needs to be cleared of cookies and/or cache. You can test with a different computer, or create a new user account on your current computer, or you can try Chrome Incognito mode....I don't know if incognito will provide a solution...but it is something to test.

2. You may be trying to add a camera that is not within the allowed space. I don't know if WU has any camera location restrictions...like maybe the prohibit adding cameras outside of the US for now. I don't know, I'm making this up as a possible reason. So test adding the camera to a different location to see if the system is rejecting because of geographic location. I know that Mapbox maps have had some issues and maybe there is a problem with the map in your area.

3. It could not be you. It could totally be a WU bug issue. Maybe something is messed up with your user account with them. Try creating a new WU user account to test and see if that new user is allowed to add an FTP camera.

Regardless if you succeed in adding a camera it isn't like its something that is all so great right now. They definitely have plenty of bugs to squash and I'm sure this one is not at the top of the list. I have a camera but it falls off sometimes and needs to be re-linked as it looses its association with my Station ID. So WU has some issues here. If look at other station that I remember having cameras they are all gone. WU is dropping cameras from people's stations. People aren't bothering to re-link.

The dropping of cameras may be deliberate because of bandwidth issues. Remember they wanted to get rid of it at one point but because of backlash they changed their mind.

Thanks,

1. I have tried multiple computers with multiple browsers and settings, and also other mobile devices. Sysadmin by trade, so the whole tech part is easy. The way the page acts leads me to #3.

2. Live in Ks. Have tried multiple variations of my address and location, no luck.

3. Guessing this is it, WU hates me and doesn't want my data.

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #855 on: August 30, 2018, 02:31:33 PM »
I believe this has been asked before, but "No Data" showing up in the weather sticker?
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline wunderground-PWS

• Contributor
« Reply #856 on: August 30, 2018, 02:52:14 PM »
try clearing your cookies or checking in incognito mode

Looks like your camera is sending data intermittently, I'm not sure why it is not displayed on your PWS page, but it can be seen here
https://www.wunderground.com/webcams/OtisDog/1/show.html

When I use that link (with my camera name) all I see, for weeks now, is this:
An error occured:
backend failure

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #857 on: August 30, 2018, 04:26:43 PM »

Looks like your camera is sending data intermittently, I'm not sure why it is not displayed on your PWS page, but it can be seen here
https://www.wunderground.com/webcams/OtisDog/1/show.html

An error occured:
backend failure

Mine is still not showing but listed as active.  At this point, not that I care.

CW3699

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #858 on: August 30, 2018, 05:18:30 PM »
I've noticed that there are two ways to link a camera after you have added it to your account. You can link via the station ID settings, or you can link via the camera ID settings. I can only get my camera to show up if I do it via the Camera ID settings. Incidentally if I then check the Station ID settings it doesn't list the camera as being linked but you can see it when you view the station weather page. Of course every now an then the camera gets dropped from being linked regardless. It is a constant battle to keep on top and having to re-link.

Tele-Pole

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
    • Anthem North Parkside, AZ
« Reply #859 on: August 30, 2018, 06:39:55 PM »
Still waiting for my webcam to be approved. Funny thing is that it worked for a couple of days and then reverted to waiting for approval.

Davis Vantage Vue, Davis Pro 2 Console with Wifi Logger
Weather Display software
WU: KAZNEWRI17
PWS: ANTHEMNP
CWOP: EW7526

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #860 on: August 30, 2018, 06:49:18 PM »
It's not a cookie issue. However launching a Chrome Incognito session logs me out of WU (and gives me loads of juicy advertisements)  AND/or/BUT the link to the webcam page works. However once there the calendar displaying the daily images (for videos) is missing almost all noon image captures.

Not ready for primetime. Sorry

Edit: I'm not about to allow third party cookies, but I suspect that is the issue.

An error occured:
backend failure
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 06:53:35 PM by rormeister »

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
« Reply #861 on: September 01, 2018, 01:35:32 PM »
Still waiting for my webcam to be approved. Funny thing is that it worked for a couple of days and then reverted to waiting for approval.
I don't know if related to my post, but my camera is uploading to WU again. So, thanks.

Weather Display software

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #862 on: September 05, 2018, 08:06:42 PM »
I don’t know if anybody else is seeing this issue again, but as of first thing today, my station on WU is showing no data present in the Summary section on my WU page, but all data is flowing smoothly from my meteobridge every 5 seconds to the site, and is visibly updating on its regular basis. The graphs are updating/populating correctly as well, just not the Summary section. This was a widespread issue months ago, and has shown up again for me today. My concern is all the stations in my area show summary data like they should.

My WU station ID is KMELEEDS7 or you can view it directly here https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMELEEDS7

Any and all help/guidance is much appreciated!
  - Matt
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline SWX

« Reply #863 on: September 05, 2018, 10:05:24 PM »
I don’t know if anybody else is seeing this issue again, but as of first thing today, my station on WU is showing no data present in the Summary section on my WU page, but all data is flowing smoothly from my meteobridge every 5 seconds to the site, and is visibly updating on its regular basis. The graphs are updating/populating correctly as well, just not the Summary section. This was a widespread issue months ago, and has shown up again for me today. My concern is all the stations in my area show summary data like they should.

My WU station ID is KMELEEDS7 or you can view it directly here https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMELEEDS7

- Matt

I’m having the same issue, but I’ve no summary data from the past 3 days, despite the summary data being there yesterday. Today’s data is visible on the PWS Monitor app, however.
Wunderground / PWS Weather
Ambient Weather WS-2902A
Ambient WeatherBridge
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH51 x 2
Ecowitt WH57
Ecowitt WS68

Offline jas340

• Lone Pine Ranch  Horseshoe Bend, Idaho  USA
« Reply #864 on: September 06, 2018, 12:12:33 AM »
I had a similar issue that started on Monday. I emailed WunderTodd at WU and he fixed it. He also gave me a "key" for each of my stations. He said to use them for my exporting software (Cumulus/ Weather Display). I have not figured out how to use them. He indicated that the keys will prevent these issues in the future. His profile is on page 34 of this thread. PM him. If you get a "key", help me figure out how to use it.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #865 on: September 06, 2018, 12:39:42 AM »
Did he give you an API key?

Offline SWX

« Reply #866 on: September 06, 2018, 09:32:06 AM »

- Matt

I’m having the same issue, but I’ve no summary data from the past 3 days, despite the summary data being there yesterday. Today’s data is visible on the PWS Monitor app, however.

Also noticed my observations have switched to metric in the weather history table. I hope this and the summary data issue gets resolved quickly and that no data is permanently lost, the last issue with WU where I couldn't view data from previous dates lasted quite a while.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNYISLAN6

AmbientWeather and WeatherCloud are functioning as they normally would, so I doubt my station is the culprit.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 09:40:20 AM by SupaWX »
Wunderground / PWS Weather
Ambient Weather WS-2902A
Ambient WeatherBridge
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH51 x 2
Ecowitt WH57
Ecowitt WS68

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
videos not working
« Reply #867 on: September 06, 2018, 02:35:03 PM »
My webcam has finally been made active. Thanks.

No when I try to view the videos WU created, in most cases, I get an error :
200, Stream not found, Netstream.Play.StreamNotFound blah, blah, blah

Sometimes it will play a "video" that appears to contain one or two individual pictures.

It also seems to require Flash which requires, at least in Edge and my usual Chrome, me to click a link allowing that to happen.

Weather Display software

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #868 on: September 06, 2018, 02:59:11 PM »
Looks to me that they didn't capture enough frames to make a video...so then the error occurs. Give it some time and see if their servers start grabbing more frames per day.

I see that you are using Weather Display. Why don't you use FTP for the camera by first capturing it with Weather Display and then having it send it to WU via FTP rather than using WU's clunky URL cam upload function? I'm not really that familiar with Weather Display...but is it because you are already doing that for your personal website? Does it not let you do both?

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 03:03:06 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
« Reply #869 on: September 06, 2018, 04:34:58 PM »
I do plan on getting this working with Weather Display if possible. It took me awhile to learn how to get my Arlo security camera to actually captures stills so I could use it as a webcam. I did use WD on my previous site with a different webcam but don't remember if I ever tied it to WU.

Weather Display software

Offline userid

« Reply #870 on: September 07, 2018, 01:52:40 PM »
My weather sensor: KPAPHILA88

Displays the following error when I click on it:

An error occured:
backend failure

Please can someone help?

BTW, occurred has two "r"s. just saying  ;-)

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #871 on: September 07, 2018, 02:28:29 PM »
Wu just doesn't work. Too unreliable.

Sent from my OnePlus 6 using Tapatalk

Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
WunderMap not working for several days
« Reply #872 on: September 08, 2018, 06:26:40 AM »
The WunderMap loads with a blank, light blue screen with all my Windows laptops and desktops.  The navigation/menu panel on the right loads fine. (running Chrome on Windows 7 at the moment, but same on Windows 10).  Interestingly, I've seen this several times on the Storm Android app, where a light blue background screen loads with no map, radar, etc showing.
Weather Underground PWS KMDNEWWI3

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: WunderMap not working for several days
« Reply #873 on: September 08, 2018, 06:45:24 AM »
The WunderMap loads with a blank, light blue screen with all my Windows laptops and desktops.  The navigation/menu panel on the right loads fine. (running Chrome on Windows 7 at the moment, but same on Windows 10).  Interestingly, I've seen this several times on the Storm Android app, where a light blue background screen loads with no map, radar, etc showing.

Zoom out and/or pan around the map. Maybe your map is loading and it has defaulted to showing you the middle of an ocean.
Tele-Pole

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
Re: WunderMap not working for several days
« Reply #874 on: September 08, 2018, 06:48:34 AM »

Zoom out and/or pan around the map. Maybe your map is loading and it has defaulted to showing you the middle of an ocean.

Thanks for the suggestion but that's not it.
Weather Underground PWS KMDNEWWI3

anything