Author Topic: WU - Let us know your issues  (Read 183940 times)

Offline prestwickwx

• Senior Contributor
    • Myrtle Beach - Rain or Shine
Re: WU - Let us know your issues
« Reply #825 on: August 20, 2018, 03:27:53 PM »
The Wunderstation APP on Ipad is really great. It was updated a few days ago, but the Indoor Temperature is still not working - although the associated graph does show the data. This stopped displaying several months ago. Please fix.

In addition, I would like to see the PurpleAir Air Quality data displayed with the associated PWS Station. I have the PupleAir device and it displays on WU, but it does not show up under the Air Quality section of my specific PWS. I notice that WU has been promoting the PurpleAir, but it there should be a way to link it to the PWS Station owner.

Thanks,

Chuck

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #826 on: August 20, 2018, 05:49:29 PM »
The Wunderstation APP on Ipad is really great. It was updated a few days ago

Thanks,

Chuck

That is great to hear. I wonder when the promised and many years delayed Android version will come out. SMH  :evil:
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WunderTodd (PWS PM)

• Here to listen
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #827 on: August 20, 2018, 11:08:01 PM »
Please PM me your email address and I'll open a trackable support ticket.

I'm showing your data isn't making it to our ingest system right now... I believe you have some sort of connectivity issue we need to work out.

Regards,
WunderToddG

Yesterday I was about to post that I had had no issues with the WU intake of data pushed from HOBOlink for the last two days for KPAHAVER17. Then things went bad this morning.

Anyone know what "updated: NaN seconds ago" means? Oh well, seems like the issue is persisting with the new WU "ingestion" process.   :sad:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Thanks. Here's what I am living with:

Rich K.

I'll talk it through with our dev and product teams. 

Users who are having Issues with the data showing up in your graph, but not in the current conditions module.

1) What station are you using
2) what software

I think we know what is happening, and will implement a fix by the end of today.  We tried to separate out observations that are current, vs ones that are being sent to fill in gaps in history.  It looks like we tuned the history window a little too aggressively (anything older than 2 mins is considered not current)  we didn't take into account that 1) peoples clocks aren't always right and 2) that some stations go through a third party relay, and might take 2 minutes to get to us. 

We are setting the allowable delay to 15 minutes

If you could bump up the allowable delay to 20 minutes, it may greatly improve our present situation of WU PWS updates taking up to an hour, fairly regularly, while HOBOlink is sending date every 10 minutes like clockwork. Quoting the HOBOlink manual (pg 44):

"Note: There may be up to a 15-minute delay from the time the device connects to HOBOlink until the data appears in Weather Underground. In addition, the Weather Underground data feed [from HOBOlink] will only send data at a minimum ten minute interval. If the logging rate on the station is faster than ten minutes, a data point will only be sent to Weather Underground if it is at least ten minutes after the last data point was sent. For example, if the logging interval is 1 minute and the first data point is sent to Weather Underground at 10:03, then the next data point will be sent at 10:13 even though data is logged every minute between 10:03 and 10:13."

So it sounds like we might be presently operating right on the edge with the present 15 minute allowable delay.

I am also going to try to get the HOBO folks to permit a 5 minute feed interval instead of their present minimum interval of 10 minutes.

I'm glad the WU updates are working now, but they are not working well for HOBOlink users, and delays of up to an hour or more are really unacceptable for my particular use, with a primary mission of providing public availability of present local weather conditions.

Rich K.

Offline wunderground-PWS

• Contributor
« Reply #828 on: August 21, 2018, 12:04:00 PM »
Hi Havtrail,

Please check your connection.  We are receiving no data from your station. 
I'm not sure how hobolink works, but some weatherstation software caches the DNS entry for rtupdate.wunderground.com and doesn't obey the time to live value.  This could cause the station to unexpectedly stop working then start again mysteriously

I would suggest speaking with the hobolink folks.

Yesterday I was about to post that I had had no issues with the WU intake of data pushed from HOBOlink for the last two days for KPAHAVER17. Then things went bad this morning.

Anyone know what "updated: NaN seconds ago" means? Oh well, seems like the issue is persisting with the new WU "ingestion" process.   :sad:

Thanks. Here's what I am living with:

Rich K.

I'll talk it through with our dev and product teams. 

Users who are having Issues with the data showing up in your graph, but not in the current conditions module.

1) What station are you using
2) what software

I think we know what is happening, and will implement a fix by the end of today.  We tried to separate out observations that are current, vs ones that are being sent to fill in gaps in history.  It looks like we tuned the history window a little too aggressively (anything older than 2 mins is considered not current)  we didn't take into account that 1) peoples clocks aren't always right and 2) that some stations go through a third party relay, and might take 2 minutes to get to us. 

We are setting the allowable delay to 15 minutes

If you could bump up the allowable delay to 20 minutes, it may greatly improve our present situation of WU PWS updates taking up to an hour, fairly regularly, while HOBOlink is sending date every 10 minutes like clockwork. Quoting the HOBOlink manual (pg 44):

"Note: There may be up to a 15-minute delay from the time the device connects to HOBOlink until the data appears in Weather Underground. In addition, the Weather Underground data feed [from HOBOlink] will only send data at a minimum ten minute interval. If the logging rate on the station is faster than ten minutes, a data point will only be sent to Weather Underground if it is at least ten minutes after the last data point was sent. For example, if the logging interval is 1 minute and the first data point is sent to Weather Underground at 10:03, then the next data point will be sent at 10:13 even though data is logged every minute between 10:03 and 10:13."

So it sounds like we might be presently operating right on the edge with the present 15 minute allowable delay.

I am also going to try to get the HOBO folks to permit a 5 minute feed interval instead of their present minimum interval of 10 minutes.

I'm glad the WU updates are working now, but they are not working well for HOBOlink users, and delays of up to an hour or more are really unacceptable for my particular use, with a primary mission of providing public availability of present local weather conditions.

Rich K.

Offline howiewowie

• Gilmers Place
    • Rapid Fire
« Reply #829 on: August 21, 2018, 02:39:48 PM »
That is because WU has been unreliable this year (more so in the earlier part of the year). So they have lost or actually never received some of your data.
Thanks it sure had me wondering

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #830 on: August 22, 2018, 11:26:13 AM »
Thanks for investigating and responding. I have emailed my issue to Onset Computer, including your response, and they have created a customer support "ticket" for my issue. They operate the subscription HOBOlink.com cellular/data "cloud" server to which my HOBO station (along with many more) directly reports. Let's hope they come up with a fix.

Rich K.

Hi Havtrail,

Please check your connection.  We are receiving no data from your station. 
I'm not sure how hobolink works, but some weatherstation software caches the DNS entry for rtupdate.wunderground.com and doesn't obey the time to live value.  This could cause the station to unexpectedly stop working then start again mysteriously

I would suggest speaking with the hobolink folks.

Anyone know what "updated: NaN seconds ago" means? Oh well, seems like the issue is persisting with the new WU "ingestion" process.

[ remainder snipped ]
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline Mtnviper

« Reply #831 on: August 22, 2018, 11:51:03 AM »
 Just noticed this. When viewing the 10 day extended forecast in Chrome, the temperatures are warmer for the highs and cooler for the lows by several degrees than viewing in Firefox. Whats up with that!?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #832 on: August 22, 2018, 01:40:23 PM »
Just noticed this. When viewing the 10 day extended forecast in Chrome, the temperatures are warmer for the highs and cooler for the lows by several degrees than viewing in Firefox. Whats up with that!?

Chrome is hot and takes up more computer resources.  :-P
Tele-Pole

Offline Mtnviper

« Reply #833 on: August 22, 2018, 02:15:59 PM »

Chrome is hot and takes up more computer resources.  :-P
[/quote
They match now after refreshing browsing history in both browsers.  I can't understand why one would have to do this in order to get accurate information.  Should I refresh every time I go there?

Offline Kalibr

« Reply #834 on: August 22, 2018, 03:43:11 PM »
Hello Wunderground,

Can you please make my PWS in the eastern time zone?  For some reason it’s showing Chicago time when it should be New York. 

I might have fudge fingered an initial setup setting?  But now there is no way that I can tell to fix it.

Station ID : KMIANNAR167

Thanks,
Reid
WU : KMIANNAR169
CWOP : FW3745

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #835 on: August 22, 2018, 04:19:05 PM »
Hello Wunderground,

Can you please make my PWS in the eastern time zone?  For some reason it’s showing Chicago time when it should be New York. 

I might have fudge fingered an initial setup setting?  But now there is no way that I can tell to fix it.

Thanks,
Reid

You only have like 4 days of data. I would delete it and make a new station ID. The map is bad in your area and it doesn't know the time zone. Normally it does it automatically. But in your case you need to enter the correct time zone when you first set it up. It can't be changed.  Or you can try your luck and see if someone from WU responds to your request and see if they can fix it.

By the way I noticed your outdoor sensor array is not getting sun till noon and then quickly at around 2PM it is in shade again. You are going to have a problem with draining AA batteries quick. The WS-2902A needs full day sun to charge the super capacitor inside. Only when there is extended days of low sunlight and it isn't able to be charged should the AA batteries need to kick in. I've seen several installations of WS-2902/A where after a couple of months their outdoor sensor starts shutting down (dead AA batteries). The AA batteries are supposed to last a couple years with normal use. So see what you can do about better siting. Move it and/or get a taller pole.  Or cut some trees down  :-P   Or go to Costco and get the large pack of AA batteries. On second thought that pack of batteries will not work through the Winter as it will be too cold...you need AA Lithium batteries....oh...its going to be expensive to keep changing those out.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 04:33:08 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline jgspears

WunderMAP and Chrome hardware acceleration
« Reply #836 on: August 23, 2018, 08:46:47 AM »
Using Chrome (Current version, Beta, and Canary) I get no stations showing in Wundermap.  I can get them to show if I turn on hardware acceleration in my Chrome settings but I need to turn off hardware acceleration in Chrome in order for videos to play from my Plex Media Server.  I should not be forced to use hardware acceleration to have Wundermap render properly.

Offline jgspears

St. John's Canada is not St. John's, Antigua, and Barbuda
« Reply #837 on: August 23, 2018, 08:51:28 AM »
When I search for the weather in St. John's Canada and select it in the drop down, I get the weather for St. John's in the Caribbean.  See the attached for a picture of the wrong weather and drop down I am selecting. 

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: St. John's Canada is not St. John's, Antigua, and Barbuda
« Reply #838 on: August 23, 2018, 11:05:09 AM »
When I search for the weather in St. John's Canada and select it in the drop down, I get the weather for St. John's in the Caribbean.  See the attached for a picture of the wrong weather and drop down I am selecting.

I just did the same and got the correct Canadian St. John's. It must have something to do with your location. I am in northern Michigan, you're in North Carolina. It probably picks the closest one.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: St. John's Canada is not St. John's, Antigua, and Barbuda
« Reply #839 on: August 23, 2018, 11:22:57 AM »

I just did the same and got the correct Canadian St. John's. It must have something to do with your location. I am in northern Michigan, you're in North Carolina. It probably picks the closest one.

Greg H.

Nope, it doesn't pick the closest one. I'm in Florida. It went to St. Johns Canada.
Tele-Pole

Offline Clumpton

• Busset, AUvergne, France Current Weather Conditions
« Reply #840 on: August 23, 2018, 01:08:41 PM »
Brings up Saint John's, Antigua and Barbuda for me, I'm in France. I definitely selected St. John's, Canada in the DDL proposed by the search box. I have seen this before for many French locations.
E.g. if I search for "Rochefort, France" I get taken to Saint-Bonnet-de-Rochefort (on the map) but it's called "Rochefort Station", this is hundreds of km off - plus the link to the station is https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/france/vichy/LFLV/date/2018-8-23?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash - which is total garbage. I suspect that it is because there are no PWS actually in Rochefort - is the search picking up the Station name rather than the city?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 01:10:25 PM by Clumpton »

Offline Kalibr

« Reply #841 on: August 24, 2018, 03:59:32 PM »
I figured deleting the station and re-creating it from scratch was the way to go.  I have it back up as KMIANNAR169, with the timezone issue fixed.

Now I cannot associate my webcam with the new station, even trying to create a new webcam from scratch, the webcam settings under "Associate with PWS" the only option is the old station.

I'm hoping after a few hours or days the old station will be deleted and the problem fixes itself.

Thanks for pointing out the potential battery issue, unfortunately this is the best I can do with the siting.  I extremely dislike having to change out disposable batteries.  Depending on how long these last,  I may explore running power to it or at least creating external battery pack that can take 18650 rechargeable lithium.

** EDIT : Webcam issue fix, new station ID is now selectable

Hello Wunderground,

Thanks,
Reid

You only have like 4 days of data. I would delete it and make a new station ID. The map is bad in your area and it doesn't know the time zone. Normally it does it automatically. But in your case you need to enter the correct time zone when you first set it up. It can't be changed.  Or you can try your luck and see if someone from WU responds to your request and see if they can fix it.

By the way I noticed your outdoor sensor array is not getting sun till noon and then quickly at around 2PM it is in shade again. You are going to have a problem with draining AA batteries quick. The WS-2902A needs full day sun to charge the super capacitor inside. Only when there is extended days of low sunlight and it isn't able to be charged should the AA batteries need to kick in. I've seen several installations of WS-2902/A where after a couple of months their outdoor sensor starts shutting down (dead AA batteries). The AA batteries are supposed to last a couple years with normal use. So see what you can do about better siting. Move it and/or get a taller pole.  Or cut some trees down  :-P   Or go to Costco and get the large pack of AA batteries. On second thought that pack of batteries will not work through the Winter as it will be too cold...you need AA Lithium batteries....oh...its going to be expensive to keep changing those out.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 10:07:07 PM by Kalibr »
WU : KMIANNAR169
CWOP : FW3745

Offline PaulKTF

« Reply #842 on: August 28, 2018, 06:33:14 PM »
I am not getting email alerts for weather events.
-Paul.

Offline PRAT

« Reply #843 on: August 29, 2018, 01:40:00 AM »
Glad to see WU making the effort to fix the site. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 02:01:46 AM by PRAT »

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #844 on: August 29, 2018, 06:28:59 AM »
Not that it matters to WU - I'm curious why such problems with web cams.  Mine has been up and [mostly] down on the WU site.  Has been running fine on mine.  Now WU for the last week+ has it listed as "active" and yet no image. Interesting.
KMICHEBO10

CW3699

Offline wunderground-PWS

• Contributor
« Reply #845 on: August 29, 2018, 12:37:28 PM »
Not that it matters to WU - I'm curious why such problems with web cams.  Mine has been up and [mostly] down on the WU site.  Has been running fine on mine.  Now WU for the last week+ has it listed as "active" and yet no image. Interesting.
KMICHEBO10

Looks like your camera is sending data intermittently, I'm not sure why it is not displayed on your PWS page, but it can be seen here
https://www.wunderground.com/webcams/OtisDog/1/show.html

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #846 on: August 29, 2018, 01:50:08 PM »
KMICHEBO10

Looks like your camera is sending data intermittently, I'm not sure why it is not displayed on your PWS page, but it can be seen here

Well technically I'm not "sending" the image to WU.  WU is suppose to capture through the URL.  Camera is up and has been up for months.  Okay, well had a power outage this morning but that is it.

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it.

CW3699

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #847 on: August 29, 2018, 03:30:54 PM »
Camera FTP is more reliable than through URL
Tele-Pole

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #848 on: August 29, 2018, 04:14:07 PM »

When I use that link (with my camera name) all I see, for weeks now, is this:
An error occured:
backend failure

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #849 on: August 29, 2018, 04:49:20 PM »
Camera FTP is more reliable than through URL

Yes I realize this.  I choose not to FTP to WU for other reasons.
Thanks for your input though.

CW3699