Author Topic: WU - Let us know your issues  (Read 183937 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: WU - Let us know your issues
« Reply #1375 on: March 16, 2019, 07:17:39 AM »
we're transitioning to a new login system. 

Thank you for your hard work and continued dedication. Even though we often go through periods of silence I know you all read this thread and you hear us. I just wish that your team was larger and could make faster progress as it seems WU still has a lot to fix and improve on. Yet even with the quirks and missing promised features it is still one of my favorite PWS services.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Felix1

• PhD Engineering Physics
« Reply #1376 on: March 18, 2019, 06:14:17 PM »
Even though we often go through periods of silence I know you all read this thread and you hear us.

Based upon what do you know this? I've been lucky with very few hiccups but I've watched people with problems and no help forthcoming to the point where they eventually just pulled the plug on uploads to WU.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1377 on: March 18, 2019, 06:32:33 PM »
Even though we often go through periods of silence I know you all read this thread and you hear us.

Based upon what do you know this? I've been lucky with very few hiccups but I've watched people with problems and no help forthcoming to the point where they eventually just pulled the plug on uploads to WU.

At the top of the forum thread you can see the names of the people currently reading the thread. I frequent this forum several times a day as my work schedule allows this. And since I do this I've several times seen the WU employees logged in and in this thread and other threads. So that is how I know they frequent and that they read and several times they don't reply.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 06:36:22 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #1378 on: March 21, 2019, 09:39:07 PM »
C'mon WU. Your 10-day forecast plots are screwed up. Why? Because you insist on making the dew point equal to 0F (duh, what?) for time before the present. As a result, the vertical scale for the 10-day plot (which includes a few hours before the present) for temp and dew point is artificially squished, making it a much less useful plot.

Now, a few weeks ago, you used to have random values in there. I once saw a DP of -50F! So things have gotten a little better. Keep trying!

Offline wunderground-PWS

• Contributor
« Reply #1379 on: March 24, 2019, 03:48:43 PM »
Thanks for raising the issue, comments help us prioritize bug fixes.  We have a ticket in for the 0 degree dewpoint issue.  We are focused on the login, account management, and PWS/Webcam management currently.  Once those are moved over we'll start to tackle come of the bugs in the Forecast page.

We're moving fast to get the site off a failing legacy infrastructure, some small bugs are expected as we move forward.  They will be squashed as soon as possible.

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #1380 on: March 24, 2019, 04:42:22 PM »
Thank you. Now if you insist on having an artificial dew point value in the recent past for the 10-day forecast, then choose something more sensible, like 40F. No one ever gets 0F (or -50F!) dew points! I should say that this is something that used to work well, but something changed.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 04:44:03 PM by danxx »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #1381 on: March 24, 2019, 08:08:22 PM »
No one ever gets 0F (or -50F!) dew points!
WU issue aside, it's impossible for the temperature to be lower than the dew point....so your statement means that it has never been colder that 0F. I get below zero dew points in the summer, let alone the winter.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #1382 on: March 24, 2019, 08:38:02 PM »
No one ever gets 0F (or -50F!) dew points!

Well...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #1383 on: March 24, 2019, 08:51:58 PM »
Yep. Well, where I am, the dew point actually doesn't get below 50F much.

Offline Mike Fitz

« Reply #1384 on: March 24, 2019, 09:29:51 PM »
I suddenly started getting emails again today with the 7 day forecast and weather alerts (just in time, severe storms today) after not getting them for several years despite having it turned on. Progress! 

[tup]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 09:31:27 PM by Mike Fitz »

Offline mholdern

« Reply #1385 on: March 25, 2019, 02:40:29 AM »
The join page has been under maintenance for a few days now. Any idea how long it will be?

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #1386 on: March 25, 2019, 09:52:15 AM »
The join page has been under maintenance for a few days now. Any idea how long it will be?

Was supposed to just be last week, but you know WU....

Offline wunderground-PWS

• Contributor
« Reply #1387 on: March 25, 2019, 09:37:31 PM »
Hey All
Quick update, most of login is back up and running.  One outstanding issue, PWS and Webcam management sre still offline, we found a critical issue with the way the legacy system interacts with the new device management.  This could cause two users to get the same station ID.  Unfortunately this was one of those bugs that was only able to be caught in live smoke testing.  We have a fix in the works, and it should be out in a couple days.

If you see issues, please send emails to support through this forum, you might not get an answer, but we are monitoring.
https://feedback.weather.com/?b_id=17298

P.S. Hope you are enjoying the new PWS dashboard pages :)
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCASANFR1433/graph/2019-03-25/2019-03-25/daily

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #1388 on: March 25, 2019, 09:54:05 PM »
What is happening with the concept of “Goldstar status” stations? Each of my 3 stations have lost this status. Should I be concerned?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 10:02:06 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1389 on: March 25, 2019, 10:06:18 PM »
PLEASE Do Not get rid of the old station dashboard.  Just just keep it around and let us have a choice.
Tele-Pole

Offline wunderground-PWS

• Contributor
« Reply #1390 on: March 26, 2019, 12:45:48 AM »
Hi Galfert,

unfortunately that's not an option. As you are aware that dashboard was not working well for a lot of people, hence the switch.  The new page is completely re-written with new data sources, so we can't just keep the old one running in parallel.  Whats the feature you think is most important from the old PWS dashboard page?

Offline SwissShops.ch

• SwissShops.ch
« Reply #1391 on: March 26, 2019, 06:13:45 AM »
The new PWS dashboard pages look ok. Unfortunately, the associated Webcam did not get migrated in to the new dashboard.

It is also not possible to change to metric weather units at the moment. Why not set them automatically by visitors browser (user agent) country codes?  :idea:

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #1392 on: March 26, 2019, 06:37:25 AM »
Hey All
Quick update, most of login is back up and running.  One outstanding issue, PWS and Webcam management sre still offline, we found a critical issue with the way the legacy system interacts with the new device management.  This could cause two users to get the same station ID.  Unfortunately this was one of those bugs that was only able to be caught in live smoke testing.  We have a fix in the works, and it should be out in a couple days.

If you see issues, please send emails to support through this forum, you might not get an answer, but we are monitoring.
https://feedback.weather.com/?b_id=17298

P.S. Hope you are enjoying the new PWS dashboard pages :)
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCASANFR1433/graph/2019-03-25/2019-03-25/daily

The new dashboard looks sort of OK, except for two major things:
1. Shrinking the "MAP" section (and embiggening the 'control buttons' on it) is a very bad idea, if anything, MAP should have been enlarged. The (old) MAP section shows a very good and detailed 'radar' overlay when there is area precip. Shrinking the MAP seriously degrades the usefulness of it.
2. The bloated 'graphicization' of the current WX readings (except wind as before) is simply a waste of page space and eye motion.
Just give us the WX numbers (as before, in a single list); thereby condensing the info into a comprehensive, usable, readable 'sight bite'. Less useless 'whitespace' and redundant pointless 'graphics'.
Basic CRM.
Y'all already present on these PWS pages some of the best WX Graphs and Tabular lists around anywhere, in the lower part of the page.
Why pointlessly clutter up the top of the pages?
As the 'new' page appears in your Dogpatch example (a Davis PWS, eh?), one has to scan across and up and down to puzzle out the basic WX readings data, a total waste of time and space.
Do it like the NOAA WFO station pages do (and most everybody else). Put a very small graphic icon a space after each numerical reading data line if 'visual' is absolutely necessary.
EG:
"Current conditions at
Beeville Municipal Airport (KBEA)
Lat: 28.36°NLon: 97.79°WElev: 269ft

Overcast 67°F 19°C
Humidity   87%
Wind Speed   E 6 mph
Barometer   30.03 in
Dewpoint   63°F (17°C)
Visibility   10.00 mi
Last update   24 Mar 3:55 am CDT"

Why does it seem as if the general trend of everything 'web' is always towards an entropy into flash and bling, IOW, a total dumbing down of whatever?
Now get off my effing lawn...  :shock: :twisted:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 06:53:18 AM by Jstx »

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1393 on: March 26, 2019, 06:52:46 AM »
Our stations measure  temps to the tenth of a degree...why must you round them off. I agree with the problems listed in the previous post.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #1394 on: March 26, 2019, 08:05:52 AM »
Today i went to loging and it said that my email did not exist.... But my station is sending data: https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KTXSPRIN75

Whats going on?

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #1395 on: March 26, 2019, 09:35:49 AM »
It appears the concept of “gold stars” is gone. Is that permanent or not? Kind of a nice feature when it worked! Better to discontinue it if not reliable.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1396 on: March 26, 2019, 09:54:33 AM »
PLEASE Do Not get rid of the old station dashboard.  Just just keep it around and let us have a choice.

Hi Galfert,

unfortunately that's not an option. As you are aware that dashboard was not working well for a lot of people, hence the switch.  The new page is completely re-written with new data sources, so we can't just keep the old one running in parallel.  Whats the feature you think is most important from the old PWS dashboard page?

Issues with new UI:
  • New UI is static and is not LIVE like the old dashboard. What is the point of rapidfire? You were the only weather site for PWS with this feature. You threw out a good feature. You could see before that the refresh in seconds that your station was reporting continuously. Now you have no idea how old the data is and how frequently that station is reporting.
  • There is too much wasted space in new UI. Old Dashboard let you see every bit of data without scrolling. The old dashboard allowed it to be like a live console where you could see everything in one shot.
  • New UI has reduced data quality by rounding many items to single whole digits. Temperature, Dew Point, Feels Like, Wind, Gusts, (no idea about rain yet because it isn't raining).
  • map is squished. looks bad. Will be terrible for rain radar
  • graphs are also reduced in quality because they show data in whole digits

I never felt like I needed a personal hosted website for my PWS because WU provided a LIVE nice view of all the data. Now I think I'm going to have to put up my own website with LIVE data. Not happy.

I participated last year on August 31 with Kristian Tumang in your limited one on one private showing of your new UI. I provided a ton of feedback. I never heard back. And I see that you have not listened to my feedback. Except for one thing...you kept the graphs under the new UI....thank you for that....but they are not as good as the old graphs.

Here is my long list of feedback that I provided and emailed Kristian after the long private demo of the new UI:

[I sent Kristian EVERTHING from this point to the end of this post]

Feedback on today's demonstration (August 31, 2018):
I really think everything is kind of large. Please allow a combined view of every single metric to be seen live without having to scroll. Basically like we have now. These improvements are eye candy and give more graphical detail but I want to be sure you don't forget to be able to see the full LIVE picture at one glance. ******  THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT...please don't mess up the current functionality with your new interface...it would be like missing the forest for the trees.

I noticed that the pressure graph in the demo is not scaled properly. It is all zoomed out.  It is a flat line. That wasn't working when that screenshot was taken. Graphs should scale automatically to max and minimum plotted levels.

One other nice thing I thought of to have is the ability to compare this month this year with last year same month. Or maybe even this week this year compared to same week last year.

The wundermap view should indicate with a different color which stations are better rated. The outline of the station could glow in green instead of black.
Like this attached image...which I did rather quickly in Paint just to show the idea. Look at station showing 69 Deg how I made it different and it is glowing, this would be a 5 star station passing all metric quality controls.

Areas of Improvement and New Features Request:
- ability to see registered station hardware for other countries (buying guide, more pws options, does not populate other countries)
- ability to see humidity graphed
- ability to have private indoor temperature and humidity published and seen privately for station owner only.
- ability of station owner to have test hardware not published on the live map...so only seen by station owner. (I'm cheating now by putting test stations on the map where they really arent)
- ability to combine multiple weather information sensors that upload into one station ID (so I could add separate soil and leaf wetness...etc and keep existing weather station hardware)
- make improvements to camera reliability and features like adding weather data over the image.
- Quality Checking reporting like MADIS does on individual sensors (better than old cryptic Gold Star). Let's incentivize station owners to maintain and replace their broken sensors. Identify good station that pass all quality checks versus those that don't. Compare individual stations only to other good stations for the station owner to see how their hardware is performing.
-  ability for station owner to moderate conversation of their weather page comments section...get rid of Disqus which can have junk linger that others posted. Give us a better web chat tool and make it visible on the phone app so that it doesn't get ignored.
- ability to send messages to station owner. Disqus messages go unnoticed by station owner. They should be able to get an email notification without revealing their email.
- ability for wundermap to see METAR airport stations (at least ASOS and configurable on-off)
- ability for wundermap to see MADIS stations (configurable on-off)
- ability for graphs to compare neighboring stations by allowing selection of custom multiple nearby stations, but don't force a given radius...let me choose.
- ability to edit data charts and delete or fix bad data (that is broken now)
- ability to upload missed data from mySQL export or CSV file (useful for when Internet goes out), also useful for stations without live data connection and maybe they can upload from memory files that they pull daily.
- Live Radar that is not delayed, and higher quality.
- Decide what to do with Wunderstation...Please finally release an Android version or replace it with something that is available on both iOS and Android. The new Storm app is good but I can't see my station with it.
- give wundermap ability to see pressure (can you believe that is missing!) This is one of my biggest grips. People don't calibrate their barometers. Might help to be able to see it on the map and draw attention to outliers.
- add topology to maps. People don't know their elevation. They need easy way to click and determine elevation. But as a regular non-station user I should be able to cross reference if the altitude is correct.
- Fix old and unreliable Mapbox maps will all kinds of mapping errors, streets missing, zip codes and city names messed up.
- Fix Favorites!!! and also city named favorite should take me to my station ID ...not whichever one it wants for that city, or allow station ID to become favorites.
- ability for station owner to add email alerts if data stops reporting or receives bad data (broken sensor alert) at determined frequency.
- Weather Stickers (widgets) not working
- allow custom mix of units to be displayed. I want for example pressure in hpa but temperature in deg F. I'd actually like to see pressure in both hpa and inHG at the same time.
- ability to add/edit weather station pictures.
- ability to specify when adding a station the exact weather station hardware model. Especially for Acurite systems.
- Why does WU mobile app show station owners username but regular website doesn't? Be nice to have option to show a nick name or first name with email link rather than a username.

- Currently you can click on Report to report a station with bad data. But the report process only allows you to click on Temperature, Pressure, Wind, Forecast, and Station Offline. There is no place to report a station location problem, and It would be good offer a comments box for details. I know for example KFLWINTE856 is about 2.5 miles off. I know this because of a few clues. The station name is the name of a development 2.5 miles different than its location, and the rain fall data is exactly like it should be 2.5 miles away and does not fall in line with rain fall data from its shown location. It should be moved 2.5 miles toward the East. I've reported the station...but I don't think it will do any good because the Temp, Pressure,...etc are all good data. So that report will go ignored because I couldn't really convey the real problem.

- Another little bit of added feedback goes back to when I mentioned Gold Star stations glowing on the map. I also think it would be nice if you zoomed out of the map that a Gold Star station should maintain visible presence for that area. It should be other stations that disappear on zoom out focus. I think currently older established stations take precedence..and that is good..let the new kid give way to the elder station. But sometimes people move, and an experienced station owner would lose map priority to some crappy station with the current system.
It think it needs to be a mixture of both Quality Control status (Gold Star) and station age, where Gold Star take priority and then followed by station age.

And lastly there is this post with more good feedback which were my notes that I prepared before meeting with Kristian on August 31, 2018. It was a lot to cover and we went over the allotted meeting time:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34994.msg357636#msg357636

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:46:40 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline cbull23

• Student - Meteorology PSU 2022
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #1397 on: March 26, 2019, 09:58:47 AM »
The graph/table section is refusing to display on Safari on the new dashboard. It seems to work just fine on Chrome, but will not show up even after hitting ‘View’.
My Sites
WU: KNJMONTV22
CWOP: FW2458
PWS: KNJMONTV22
NWS: FW2458

Offline wunderground-PWS

• Contributor
« Reply #1398 on: March 26, 2019, 10:41:28 AM »
The Safari graph issue has been fixed, we will release that fix today

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1399 on: March 26, 2019, 11:30:40 AM »
Again I'll ask what is your reasoning  for rounding off numbers, in particular , temps? You've done this now on your apps, your main page etc....now on the dashboard ? When I'm straddling  the rain/snow line, every little difference between 31.5° and 32.4 can be huge...Don't want my dashboard  to operate that way.
Don
Staten Island, NY