Author Topic: Lightning detector  (Read 32183 times)

Offline GeraltLK

Re: Lightning detector
« Reply #100 on: February 29, 2020, 01:53:24 PM »
The lightning detector in its 433Mhz version should be compatible with my Misol HP2550 station, right?

It would be an interesting addition for next spring. There are usually quite a few storms here.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #101 on: February 29, 2020, 06:59:35 PM »
The lightning detector in its 433Mhz version should be compatible with my Misol HP2550 station, right?

It would be an interesting addition for next spring. There are usually quite a few storms here.

I've seen Misol sell 433 and 868 MHz versions. Just match what you currently have. The display console will show you what frequency you have.

- Gear Settings button
- other Gear button (x3)
- About Display on screen menu
- look for Frequency:
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 07:36:12 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline GeraltLK

« Reply #102 on: February 29, 2020, 07:22:46 PM »

I've seen Misol sell 433 and 868 MHz versions. Just match what you currently have. The display console will show you what frequency you have.

- Gear button
- other Gear button (x3)
- About Display on screen menu
- look for Frequency:

433 MHz  [tup]

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2020, 10:55:49 AM »
I am interested in a WH57, Will this possibly be available through Ambient soon. I have never purchased directly from Ecowitt. If purchased from Ecowitt will this be a direct ship from overseas or shipped from a US warehouse?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2020, 11:54:18 AM »
I am interested in a WH57, Will this possibly be available through Ambient soon. I have never purchased directly from Ecowitt. If purchased from Ecowitt will this be a direct ship from overseas or shipped from a US warehouse?

If you have an Ambient branded console (like your ObserverIP) then you can't use anything but Ambient branded sensors. If you bought the WH57 from Ecowitt then it will only show up on your Ecowitt GW1000.

No telling when Ambient will carry the new stuff from Fine Offset. They may or may not ever carry a particular item. Resellers of Fine Offset stuff choose what they want to sell. No reseller of Fine Offset stuff has ever had a complete catalog. The exception is Ecowitt as they have everything. Because Ecowitt is Fine Offset. The Ecowitt brand was created as a subsidiary of Fine Offset as a consumer facing brand. Fine Offset does not deal directly with the consumer, as they are just the manufacturer.

The GW1000 has been out for over a year. Ambient still doesn't sell it. It is my favorite piece of equipment from Fine Offset. Without it I had to rely on the terrible ObserverIP. I can do so much more with the GW1000. It has allowed me to simultaneously run Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, Weather-Display and WeeWX. The soil sensor is another part that has been out for over a year and Ambient doesn't have it either. But the WS80 is relatively new and Ambient started carrying it almost as soon as it came out. So you never know what Ambient will do.

Ambient is the only reseller that has implemented a strategy where you can't use any other sensors but the ones they sell. If you had a Froggit or a Misol console, they would not complain about using an Ecowitt sensor, as long as the frequency matched.

If you order directly from Ecowitt then it ships from China. If you order on Amazon then it might come from an Amazon warehouse or it might come from China. If on Amazon it says that 2 day shipping (Prime) is available then it is sitting in a warehouse in your country (as Ecowitt shows up on multiple Amazon sites; US, UK...)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 12:10:26 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2020, 12:05:52 PM »
I put my order in yesterday. I'm a little concerned there where no shipping options etc. I hope it all goes well, or they will contact me if there are issues.

I am in the US.

Scott
Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000
  WS90 (other one) + GW1100
Personal Sites: Weather Cam

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2020, 07:36:32 PM »

If you have an Ambient branded console (like your ObserverIP) then you can't use anything but Ambient branded sensors. If you bought the WH57 from Ecowitt then it will only show up on your Ecowitt GW1000.

No telling when Ambient will carry the new stuff from Fine Offset. They may or may not ever carry a particular item. Resellers of Fine Offset stuff choose what they want to sell. No reseller of Fine Offset stuff has ever had a complete catalog. The exception is Ecowitt as they have everything. Because Ecowitt is Fine Offset. The Ecowitt brand was created as a subsidiary of Fine Offset as a consumer facing brand. Fine Offset does not deal directly with the consumer, as they are just the manufacturer.

The GW1000 has been out for over a year. Ambient still doesn't sell it. It is my favorite piece of equipment from Fine Offset. Without it I had to rely on the terrible ObserverIP. I can do so much more with the GW1000. It has allowed me to simultaneously run Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, Weather-Display and WeeWX. The soil sensor is another part that has been out for over a year and Ambient doesn't have it either. But the WS80 is relatively new and Ambient started carrying it almost as soon as it came out. So you never know what Ambient will do.

Ambient is the only reseller that has implemented a strategy where you can't use any other sensors but the ones they sell. If you had a Froggit or a Misol console, they would not complain about using an Ecowitt sensor, as long as the frequency matched.

If you order directly from Ecowitt then it ships from China. If you order on Amazon then it might come from an Amazon warehouse or it might come from China. If on Amazon it says that 2 day shipping (Prime) is available then it is sitting in a warehouse in your country (as Ecowitt shows up on multiple Amazon sites; US, UK...)
I have purchased a GW1000 per your suggestion a few months ago and am quite happy with it. My IP observer only sends to WU. Everything else goes through the GW1000 and Ambient.

Offline Waimarie

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2020, 09:25:24 PM »
I put my order in yesterday. I'm a little concerned there where no shipping options etc. I hope it all goes well, or they will contact me if there are issues.

It says on the advert.  If you don't specify it will come by normal post.  If you prefer to pay for courier/expedited, you probably still have time to email Lucy and ask her to amend your order.  I got her to swap to a different item once.  As it hadn't been packed it was no problem.
Shipping Information:

Note: The list price is for Regular Mail shipping service(estimated delivery time: 3-5 weeks). For express mail shipping service, please send your address to us firstly for the final price. Thank you.

We're not be responsible for any tax might be generated in your country or customs.

We'll send you a tracking number for you to track the shipping status of your order within 2-3 weeks after you placed your order.
Fine Offset WH3081 (Deceased)
Mi-Sol  WH2900C
Ecowitt HP2553
Ecowitt GW 1000 915MHz
Ecowitt GW 1000 433MHz
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt WH57
WU: IFEATH6
WOW: 910486001

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2020, 01:50:06 PM »
Ordered the lightning detector. Ships from China. I am sure that the Corona Virus may cause delays. They stated 3-5 weeks for delivery. Until then I will use a Franklin device. I will fly a kite with a key attached.

Online olicat

• Forecaster
  • GWxx00, HPx5x1C, WN1900C, WN1980C & WS3xx0C
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2020, 02:19:03 PM »
Did you get a order confirmation?
I also ordered this (and some other stuff) last saturday but till now I did not get any confirmation.

Regards, Oliver

Offline GeraltLK

« Reply #110 on: March 04, 2020, 04:01:40 PM »
Ordered the lightning detector. Ships from China. I am sure that the Corona Virus may cause delays. They stated 3-5 weeks for delivery. Until then I will use a Franklin device. I will fly a kite with a key attached.

Or maybe not. I ordered the bird spike on February 18 and received it in 14 days with normal shipping.

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2020, 04:21:20 PM »
Did you get a order confirmation?
I also ordered this (and some other stuff) last saturday but till now I did not get any confirmation.

Regards, Oliver
Yes, I did. Try sending them note on the contact link on the order page.

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2020, 11:17:55 AM »
Received a message from Ecowitt that the sensor has been shipped.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2020, 08:24:41 PM »
I recently received and set up an HP3501, and have been talking to Lucy about the lightning sensor. She said the firmware update supporting the lightning detector should be available within a month for the HP3501 and HP2551 receivers and that the lightning detector “could” hit Amazon US by April. We shall see. The Coronavirus issue could cause some delays.

As for enclosures, I’m planning on rigging up a small enclosure out of PVC fittings similar to what Boltek used to include with their LD-250 and 350 lightning detectors. I’ve played with various lightning detectors over the years and found they seem to perform best when installed up high with the anemometer. I’m planning on installing the lightning detector on the same mast as the rest of the weather station.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2020, 08:40:28 PM »
For those in the UK, the screen I bought for my lightning detector has dropped in price significantly: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017ILZF6C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline PeterH

« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2020, 11:40:46 AM »
Received the lightning sensor today. [tup]

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Installation was easy... My display console and the GW-1000 picked it up immediately.

Offline ALEEF02

• Hi! Check out my weather site!
    • LF Weather
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2020, 04:52:26 PM »

Installation was easy... My display console and the GW-1000 picked it up immediately.

Can you link me to where you purchased that? I just got this email from Ambient Weather

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2020, 05:43:14 PM »

Can you link me to where you purchased that? I just got this email from Ambient Weather

You have an Ambient WS-2000. You can't buy this from anywhere but from Ambient as it will otherwise not be compatible. Ecowitt also sells this and theirs works for other Ecowitt and other Fine Offset clones....but not Ambient. Ambient consoles require Ambient sensors. Therefore you have to wait till Ambient starts selling it...soon.
Tele-Pole

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2020, 06:14:01 PM »

You have an Ambient WS-2000. You can't buy this from anywhere but from Ambient as it will otherwise not be compatible. Ecowitt also sells this and theirs works for other Ecowitt and other Fine Offset clones....but not Ambient. Ambient consoles require Ambient sensors. Therefore you have to wait till Ambient starts selling it...soon.
I guess that I will need one for Ambient and one for Ecowitt.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2020, 06:52:10 PM »

No, you won't. The Ambient sensors all work on Ecowitt consoles. You only need Ambient version sensors ....as longs as your Ecowitt console is 915MHz, which I know it is.

The reason for this is because Ambient doesn't want to support any sensor that they didn't sell. They are also trying to protect their brand and future sales. If you buy into an Ambient station, then you can only expand it with Ambient sensors.

Ecowitt doesn't care. Because ultimately their parent company Fine Offset is making a profit either way.

Other Fine Offset sellers like Froggit, Misol, Pantech...etc. just don't have the leverage that Ambient has on Fine Offset to make special consoles and sensors just for them. It is possible too that it isn't much of a concern for these other reseller because it often cost more in shipping and import fees to buy from Ecowitt than to buy from Froggit, Misol...etc. This is all just speculation on my part. But it just seems logical.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 06:57:43 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2020, 06:56:30 PM »

No, you won't. The Ambient sensors all work on Ecowitt consoles. You only need Ambient version sensors ....as longs as your Ecowitt is 915MHz, which I know it is.

The reason for this is because Ambient doesn't want to support any sensor that they didn't sell. They are also trying to protect their brand and future sales. If you buy into an Ambient station, then you can only expand it with Ambient sensors.

Ecowitt doesn't care. Because ultimately their parent company Fine Offset is making a profit either way.

Other Fine Offset sellers like Froggit, Misol, Pantech...etc. just don't have the leverage that Ambient has on Fine Offset. It is possible too that it isn't much of a concern for these other reseller because it often cost more in shipping and import fees to buy from Ecowitt than to buy from Froggit, Misol...etc. This is all just speculation on my part. But it just seems logical.
Well, the Ecowitt is in the mail. I may sell it when the Ambient becomes available. It is coming from China so it should be here by Q2 when the Ambient unit comes on the market.  #-o

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2020, 07:00:49 PM »
You could also just do what I do and not worry about the WS-2000 display not having this extra sensor data. Maybe it is good enough to just have this extra sensor data on the GW1000 and on Ecowitt.net. And if you have a Meteobridge or Weather-Display or Cumulus MX or WeeWx, you still can get all the sensors via the GW1000 and also provide them to any supporting service or template.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 10:06:39 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2020, 07:33:20 PM »
You could also just do what I do and not worry about the WS-2000 display not having this extra sensor data. Maybe it is good enough to just have this extra sensor data on the GW1000 and on Ecowitt.net.
I have an Ambient WS-1401-IP and a GW1000. So one sensor is enough then. Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 07:34:52 PM by Weatheroger »

Offline Waimarie

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2020, 08:33:55 PM »
Just out of interest, why do people buy Ambient, when it locks them into a brand like this?  Before I knew this fact, I did try to buy from them, but because I live in NZ, they refused to supply me.  That was lucky! :grin:
Fine Offset WH3081 (Deceased)
Mi-Sol  WH2900C
Ecowitt HP2553
Ecowitt GW 1000 915MHz
Ecowitt GW 1000 433MHz
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt WH57
WU: IFEATH6
WOW: 910486001

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2020, 08:43:46 PM »
Just out of interest, why do people buy Ambient, when it locks them into a brand like this?  Before I knew this fact, I did try to buy from them, but because I live in NZ, they refused to supply me.  That was lucky! :grin:
Because Ambient has excellent service. I am totally happy with their products, service, and support. Also their weather service is much better than WU.

anything