Author Topic: WS View - gw1000 device not showing in manage device screen?  (Read 1664 times)

Offline hackR

WS View - gw1000 device not showing in manage device screen?
« on: August 01, 2020, 10:44:49 PM »
got a new Verizon Samsung tab S6...and on that device, I can see both my ws-2000 and gw1000 devices on the list devices screen...all is working fine...uploads to wunderground and ecowitt.net fine...yet when I go to manage ecowitt on WS View on the tab s6 my station does not show up...it shows up fine on my Samsung note9 WS View  app - and launches me to ecowitt.net website ok...

Any ideas?

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
Re: WS View - gw1000 device not showing in manage device screen?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 04:59:00 AM »
Is your S6 Tab using a 5Ghz Wifi network and the Note using 2.4Ghz?
The Ecowitt/AW devices are all 2.4Ghz devices and sometimes the protocol used by the WsView app does not work across the router between the two frequencies as they are in effect different networks.
Just a thought!
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 08:12:41 AM »
That is not how WiFi works. There normally is no problem with 5 GHz device talking to 2.4 GHz device on the same network. They would only be treated as different networks if one of those WiFi bands was a guest network with Internet only access.

Make sure you didn't also install the awnet app on the S6 tablet. It is okay for awnet app to be installed but it can't be running in the background. It is just easier to not have it installed as you won't need it since you are using WS View and that will manage both WS-2000 and GW1000.

Try turning cellular data off on S6 tablet (or temporarily pull our SIM card) to force WiFi connection.

Make sure your WiFi is all coming from the same network. Some people have a modem with WiFi turned on and then they also have a WiFi router connected to modem and the two device are making their own separate WiFi available and if the S6 connects to the modem's WiFi and the console connects to the router's WiFi then you'd be behind the router's firewall with the S6 and hence no access to anything inside the router's LAN. This same thing applies if you are using WiFi access points as extenders and they are configured as routers.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 08:24:45 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline hackR

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 08:14:43 AM »
Is your S6 Tab using a 5Ghz Wifi network and the Note using 2.4Ghz?

thanks!...i double-checked that - and all devices (tab s6, ws-2000 and gw1000) are on the same 2.4Ghz network...

both the note9 smartphone and the tab s6 will show the (2) devices in the "device list" when on 5GHz...however, only the note9 shows the gw1000 station name on the "managed device" when in 5GHz mode...

Offline hackR

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 08:27:22 AM »
Make sure you didn't also install the awnet app on the S6 phone. It is okay for awnet app to be installed but it can't be running in the background. It is just easier to not have it installed as you won't need it since you are using WS View and that will manage both WS-2000 and GW1000.

Try turning cellular data off on S6 phone (or temporarily pull our SIM card) to force WiFi connection.

Make sure your WiFi is all coming from the same network. Some people have a modem with WiFi turned on and then they also have a WiFi router connected to modem and the two device are making their own separate WiFi available and if the S6 connects to the modem's WiFi and the console connects to the router's WiFi then you'd be behind the router's firewall with the S6 and hence no access to anything inside the router's LAN. This same thing applies if you are using WiFi access points as extenders and they are configured as routers.

1) i didn't install awnet app on the tablet s6...only WS View...(and per your advice, uninstalled awnet on my note 9)
2) i put the tab s6 into airplane mode and then flipped it back...everything connected fine...but still can't see the station on "manage device"...i can see it under "device list"...
3) yes - coming from same wireless access points...i checked the wireless router and all are showing fine...i have spectrum cable/internet with a separate cable modem and my own netgear nighthawk router...
4) i even went thru the pairing setup with the gw1000 and the tab s6...all good...

stumped, i am...

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 08:36:20 AM »
Ohhhh... It just clicked. You are going to Menu / Manage Ecowitt.
You aren't referring to Weather services Ecowitt.net uploads.

Yeah that menu item doesn't work for me either. I have Galaxy S8 phone and Samsung Galaxy Tab S3. I never knew what it did but I didn't miss it as I didn't see any functionality that I needed. Now that you shared that it takes you to Ecowitt.net website I feel that a home screen shortcut to Ecowitt.net would accomplish the same thing, which is what I've always had.

Seems like a bug in WS View.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 08:41:51 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline hackR

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 08:44:27 AM »
Ohhhh... It just clicked. You are going to Menu / Manage Ecowitt.
You aren't referring to Weather services Ecowitt.net uploads.

Yeah that menu item doesn't work for me either. I have Galaxy S8 phone and Samsung Galaxy Tab S3. I never knew what it did but I didn't miss it as I didn't see any functionality that I needed. Now that you shared that it takes you to Ecowitt.net website I feel that a home screen shortcut to Ecowitt.net would accomplish the same thing, which is what I've always had.

Seems like a bug in WS View.

thanks galfert!...yeah - sorry about that...

...and as you say - all it does it take you to ecowitt.net...just thought it was odd that it didn't work on the s6 tablet, yet worked on the note9 smartphone...

apps?!...go figure...