Author Topic: Router issues  (Read 2503 times)

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Router issues
« on: May 17, 2019, 10:16:50 AM »
As a preliminary for our move to a new home and wanted to make changes in our cable and internet services with www.rogers.com I changed my service to Ignite and that comes with a new modem/router.  My internet service is good but anything wireless or setup through the router is not, Bloomsky, Blitzortung, Yawcam, printer.  I know and understand very little on routers and communications but over the years have been able to get these things working with some great help here. 

First issue is with my webcam using Yawcam that has USB to my weather computer. Yawcam gives a
FTP Error 500I won't open a connection to 10.0.0.194 (only to xx.xxx.xx.xx)
10.0.0.194 is my weather computer's IP address and xx.xxx.xx.xx represents my external IP address.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Router issues
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 10:55:37 AM »
Definitely start by not ever using an ISP router. Just put their stuff in bridge mode and use your own router. Much better control and security and features.

You may need to factory reset some of your devices to get them to use the new network.  That 10.x.x.x may be the problem.

I recommend an Asus RT-AC68U.  There are better routers out now and more do later this year that support the new WiFi 6 but it is a bit early to recommend that. So don't go crazy. If you need more coverage the RT-AC68U supports mesh (wired and wireless) so you can expand later. Just start with one centrally located.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 10:58:24 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 10:56:44 AM »
Interesting that Ignite uses Class A networking...  but anyway, are you using Active or passive FTP in Yawcam ( I don't use the SW, but know that there are issues with Active mode?  Try Passive mode.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 11:14:01 AM »
One other tip. I understand that Java is still used in a lot of places. But on systems that I manage I do my best to remove Java from all systems for good sound security reasons. This means running software that does not require Java. Yawcam requires Java. So recommend finding another solution for webcam software. I wish I could recommend a replacement but I'm just used to IP cameras so I've not had to deal with USB cameras. There should be a better solution...I hope.

Java is not worth the risk and the headache in security maintenance and in performance drain of resources.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 11:15:32 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 12:00:34 PM »
+1 to Asus RT-AC68U. That's the router I use, absolutely amazing and works fantastically.

-1 to new WiFi naming scheme of WiFi 6, but that's besides the point

I'd go a step further than galfert and say that if your ISP will let you use a 3rd party modem, grab a modem that supports DOCSIS3 3.0 for like $50 USD or equivalent in your currency. You can then send your ISP's modem and router back and not pay them to rent it. Mine charged me $6 USD a month for their outdated crap ones, so over time I'll actually save money with my own equipment, plus I have much better service. Also, their modem did not support the 100 Mbps connection I was paying for, even though they claimed it did.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 12:08:06 PM »
Routers are typically free up here.  I bridge and use OpenWRT.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 12:26:45 PM »
First issue is with my webcam using Yawcam that has USB to my weather computer. Yawcam gives a
FTP Error 500I won't open a connection to 10.0.0.194 (only to xx.xxx.xx.xx)
10.0.0.194 is my weather computer's IP address and xx.xxx.xx.xx represents my external IP address.
Any suggestions?

Open Yawcam and provide your settings of the FTP section (including Advanced FTP settings). What do you have entered for FTP server and port number? Where are you trying to FTP the image files to? You can troubleshoot that the FTP server that you are trying to reach is up and running by using a browser. I recommend you use Chrome and in the address bar enter in ftp://<address>  where <address> is either an IP address or the URL name of the FTP server. If the FTP server is operational then you should get a login request. If not then the problem could just be that your FTP server is not reachable or is not up and running. This assumes that your FTP server is using port 21. If your FTP server settings says localhost then your computer must be running its FTP service. There are a lot of possibilities and without knowing what you are trying to accomplish it is just too many possibilities to cover. Give us more information.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 12:28:29 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 06:14:09 PM »
Just got back from a few excursions in preparation of our move in a couple of weeks... and thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions, I'll have a look this evening.

One thing though, bridge mode is not an option as we want the TV  https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/how-to-bridge-your-rogers-ignite-modem.

After the webcam issue, then setting my Brother printer so I can start printing again.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 06:29:30 PM »
Interesting that Ignite uses Class A networking...  but anyway, are you using Active or passive FTP in Yawcam ( I don't use the SW, but know that there are issues with Active mode?  Try Passive mode.
Thanks Bushman, changing from Active to Passive and now works both internal and web \:D/

Now to my printer...

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 08:08:01 PM »
What is the issue with your printer?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 11:12:27 PM »
I don't think the following statement is totally accurate.
Warning for Ignite TV customers:

If Ignite TV is connected to the Rogers Ignite Modem via Wi-Fi, bridging your modem will disconnect your Ignite TV service

It is true that if the TV was connected to to the modem's WiFi it would be disconnected because putting the modem into bridge mode turns off the WiFi. But then you connect the Ignite TV to your own WiFi router obviously, and then it should work again. Unless they have blocked it to only work with their WiFi and I just cannot imagine that makes any sense.
Tele-Pole

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 11:44:26 PM »
What is the issue with your printer?
It worked fine in the previous modem setup but now it says offline, and I have tried as much as I know.  It is an older Brother printer MFC-7860W set up on my ethernet weather computer as a wireless device and then was accessible by other computers on the network.  Now can't get it online from any computer.  I have gone through the Network, Network Reset on the printer without success.
Thanks,Paul

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 07:07:23 AM »
If you changed routers, I'll guess that the numbering schemes are different.  It may not be 10.10.10.XX anymore and the Gateway is probably different.

If you know how to log in to the router, you should be able to find whatever it's using.  You may be able to see the Gateway and Router IP addresses on a printed label on the bottom or back of the router. 

If you know how to set your Printer and other devices to use DHCP, that may work since they should be able to find the new network on their own.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 09:49:17 AM »
The old was 192.168.0.xx and from 192.168.0.1 login I could usually find the device IP.

The new is 10.0.0.xx and from 10.0.0.1 login  have identified some devices with IP including the weather computer 10.0.0.194 where the Brother printer is installed.  Have not yet found where to do settings for the new network for the printer.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 10:11:01 AM »
From your printer's setup menu, select the option to show network config.  It should show the device IP address.  If not, it means it is not wireless connected and possible blocked by the router.  Are you running IP v4 and/ IPv6?

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2019, 12:22:49 PM »
You might wan to try something like this:

https://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/

It will scan your entire network and display all devices and their IP addresses.  Using custom ranges, you can set it to scan everything from 10.0.0.1 through 10.0.0.250 or 192.168.0.1  through 192.168.100.250 for example.

There are a number of other similar utilities also, most of them free

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2019, 03:59:43 PM »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2019, 05:51:19 PM »
Some progress so far,

WiFiLogger IP found through Wojtek's expert help so CumulusMX, CWOP, PW Weather, WU, and HWS pws-wfl back updating.
Yawcam is connected, both Bloomskys ok again, Ripe and Sam Knows being monitored.

But still a few things to fix: Got Brother printer working by cable connection so still some work to do for wireless but I know the IP for it.
I'll need to contact my irrigation company to update Hydrawise.

So next is Blitzortung and Google box whatever that is!?!
If I recall correctly the Blitzortung was at 192.168.0.16 so I'll need to get into the settings somehow to change the IP for this in the same way as was needed for WiFiLogger.

I just hope I don't need to go through all of this again in a couple of weeks when we do the actual move to the new place.

Thanks to all that have commented and given suggestions =D&gt;

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 08:26:14 PM »
Coming to this kind of late, but you should be able to get into the configuration for the new router and set the local (DHCP) address range to what you have been using with the previous router (192.168.0.x).

What is the router model?
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2019, 08:53:09 PM »
The range on the new modem is 10.0.0.255
I presume it is a Arris XB6  https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/how-to-reset-your-rogers-ignite-modem

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2019, 09:29:30 PM »
Since it's all tied in with other services (TV, phone), I'd suggest (if you want to explore the possibility) calling their customer support to see if it is possible to change the IP address range. The first level people you get might not know what you mean (although I've dealt with some who were really good at other ISPs).
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community