Author Topic: VP1 ISS circuit board  (Read 562 times)

Offline Plaides

VP1 ISS circuit board
« on: February 09, 2024, 07:02:46 AM »
I am looking for a circuit board for the ISS of a VP1 to replace the faulty unit that I have. Please contact me if you have an old VP1 that is no longer of use to you. Any condition will do, even if it is faulty.
Thanks.

Offline Howsomever

Re: VP1 ISS circuit board
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 11:55:57 AM »
I am also looking for a VP-1 ISS.  My Vantage pro station was purchased in 2001.  The anemometer is not working and the problem seems to be the ISS.  It is my understanding that different countries have different frequencies for operating and were sold accordingly? Since you are in Ireland not sure an ISS from USA would work?

Offline Plaides

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 05:21:12 AM »
Thanks, I was aware that that might be a possibility. However if the RF frequency is incompatible I could just replace the microcontroller chip from the substitute board and hopefully that would get it running. Alternatively I could program a new microcontroller chip but I have been unable to source the code to do this.

Have you checked the circuit board around the socket for the anemometer for corrosion, damaged capacitors etc., as this appears likely given that the other sensors are functioning.

Offline Howsomever

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 11:08:50 AM »
Yes, I have checked for corrosion around the RJ11 socket on the ISS board.  First off I know the anemometer is working because using an ohm meter and breakout box I can see the reed switch action from turning wind sensor at the actual RJ11 plug.  The thing driving the ISS problem is if you put the Vantage Pro console in the diagnostic screen mode and observe the values in position 1b and 2b.  1b is a very slow increasing value and 2b remains zero.  No effect if the anemometer is plugged in or not.  The components and board on the ISS are coated with a thin clear something to reduce corrosion.  From the wind RJ11 socket on the ISS it appears to enter a circuit with maybe a transistor?  Sure wish I had a circuit schematic.  My thought is essentially an open input high impedance input at the processor IC hence the 1b value slowly increasing?  Hate to give up if it something simple since all else works.

If this does not get resolved I will gladly send you my ISS board for you to play with.  Thanks for your response.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 12:16:36 PM »
This is from a forum member who departed the earth.  But here are some diagrams and diag info.

https://iptl.bismarckweather.net/Davis_Anemometer_Tester/AnemometerVane.pdf

https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Plaides

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 09:50:30 AM »
Here is a schematic of the wind input section of the board which I recently traced from my own board. As you say the board is coated with a conformal coating which makes probing difficult but a pair of good sharp probes works ok.

Thank you for your generous offer which I would gladly accept if you have no luck.

anything