Author Topic: Davis Upload/Download issues 1/1/2020  (Read 5738 times)

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Davis Upload/Download issues 1/1/2020
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2020, 06:13:54 PM »
What I have seen with this issue is that there is nothing consistent. All my WLIP's are now normal yet did not update them all, a couple which were totally locked benefited and the update fixed them, the others which were running slow and behind are now normal so not sure why.

One thing I have noted with FW updates is the Hardware and Bootware versions never change and their is some variability with HW (1.02, 1.01, 1.11, 2.02) & BW (010, 101, 102) versions over the years but whatever it is they were and are simply not behaving all the same.

Another thing I noticed with router based WLIP links was dead on 31/12/19 into 1/1/20 data usage jumped dramatically from a year in year out average of 2mb/day to an equiv of 4 to 5 to even 12mb a day, data usage never seen before on this system. This logger has been updated to 1.15 so will be interested to see if the data usage drops back.   

Offline skp

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2020, 09:27:56 AM »
Sharing my personal experience:

I have a Davis VP2 (cabled) with Weatherlink IP attached to it. Previous WLIP firmware version was 1.1.3.

Starting Jan 1st (without knowing anything about the now known issue) I noticed my console started to constantly lock up. The console screen would freeze about 2-3 times per hour, spending as much as 7 minutes with the screen completely locked (but showing all the last data, so not a blank screen). I first noticed the issue because the clock was 7 minutes behind when I looked at the console. WLIP always stopped uploading to Davis Server during those locked-up periods as well. I tried to reboot the console, tried to reconnect the cables, everything, without any success. I was worried my console had an issue and I even thought of sending it to Davis for repair.

So a couple days later, Davis published the WLIP firmware issue. After being aware of the issue, I managed to have a friend come by my house with an Windows laptop (I use only Macs as many others here). Updated the firmware, which went quickly and without issues. After updating the firmware, I gave my console a 30-minute complete shut down just to be sure and to clean everything up, and powered everything back again.

Since this update my console screen never locked up again, and it's been running smooth.

So, definitely this WLIP issue can escalate to the whole console data processing.  :roll:

Offline juanboy2k

• CWOP EW1232 - WU KOHSPRIN10
    • John Edelmann
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2020, 10:43:05 PM »
WLIP v 1.1.5 as updated on 1/7/2020  .. note i just checked my archived data;  i have no gaps in any data on 1/1/2020 and going forward. 
WU: KOHSPRIN10     CWOP:   EW1232

On 1/10, I hooked up a new Weatherlink Live and I have a *LOT* to talk about wrt to that effort.  I've been chatting with Davis Tech support for probably at least 8 hours across 5-6 days really.  Is there an appropriate thread for me to relay all of what I've learned or should a just start a new one?  thanks!

I have info related to (and am planning a detailed suggestion note to Davis as a result):

1) Transferring updated data from an WLIP to Weatherlink Live weather station on weatherlink.com
2) Proper method of identifying device IDs from WLIP vs Live
3) Discrepancies in the way info is displayed on the Android Weatherlink App from each
4) Inability to Upload CWOP and WU from the Live (but is fine from WLIP )
5) Getting weatherlink.com to NOTIFY me when EXTRA sensor alarms fire (not possible on WLIP)

thanks!

John
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 10:56:32 PM by juanboy2k »
CWOP: EW1232 - WU: KOHSPRIN10
DALLAS 1-WIRE archived data on WU since Jan 2008

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2020, 04:06:23 AM »
I've been chatting with Davis Tech support for probably at least 8 hours across 5-6 days really.  Is there an appropriate thread for me to relay all of what I've learned or should a just start a new one?  thanks!

I have info related to (and am planning a detailed suggestion note to Davis as a result):

1) Transferring updated data from an WLIP to Weatherlink Live weather station on weatherlink.com
2) Proper method of identifying device IDs from WLIP vs Live
3) Discrepancies in the way info is displayed on the Android Weatherlink App from each
4) Inability to Upload CWOP and WU from the Live (but is fine from WLIP )
5) Getting weatherlink.com to NOTIFY me when EXTRA sensor alarms fire (not possible on WLIP)

TBH I'm not sure there's much there that hasn't already been discussed here in some detail in various threads. eg:

1. If you have a full local record of wlk files then these can be uploaded to your WLL a/c.

2. The DID is the DID. Provided you have it recorded accurately then that's all you need to identify the upload device unambiguously. Yes, you can infer what type of device it is from certain characters in the DID, but not sure that really helps anyone.)

3. Not sure exactly what this refers to? Is it the question of whether or not you have a supplementary anemometer set to be the primary one? (This is a setting in your WLL device configuration details on wl.com)

4. Not sure what this refers to either: wl.com accounts do support uploads to both WU and CWOP, so what's the issue? Standard wl.com does not support RapidFire (and cannot do so because wind data is uploaded only once per minute), but that's well-known.

5. Are you asking whether the WLL alarm features are going to be migrated to WLIP accounts? My guess would be no (or at least the commercial side of the project team might need a LOT of persuading), but no-one outside the immediate wl.com development team will know the proposed roadmap in detail, much less comment on it publicly.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline juanboy2k

• John Edelmann
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2020, 07:58:56 AM »
Thanks johnd ...  here is more detail:
1) I have to assume that the WLKs are the same as what I have in the BULLETIN tab of 6.0.5 of the PC software.  I can see several gaps there .. but it isn't all that bad.  I just don't understand why they have to make it so complicated for doing uploads;  For that matter, I think (jmho) that we should be able to grab the "basic" data (if that's all we want), and export from anywhere, and it should be like GENEALOGY DATA that can use GEDCOM for instance for uploading into various Family Tree programs.   Same idea.  All of those are very complicated too, even though they're not "firmware" based usually...
2 - 3) The issue that is on WLIP, the way some of the DISPLAY tools the info is vastly different than the way WLL does ... i can add a few screen shots to show explain better.  Basically WLIP doesn't care which wind sensor connection/device you have (mine is NOT on the ISS- but rather on a separate roof mounted sensor transmitter with it's onw solar panel), it assumes it belongs with the "PRIMARY" setting of the ISS (if that's what you have set) -- so WIND data is displayed on smart phone apps as "the" wind info.  On my WLL, I only see WIND info on the "extra" sensor" display section, because WLL is smart enough (unfortunately) to keep things all separate.  There needs to be a way to tell the different APPS as well as probably what data you want to upload to WCOP/WU what devices to report for which data explicitly rather than hoping that it gets it right...
4) when i was using WLL as the upload to cwop and wu, only the BAR was being reported, because that's the only item on the WLL itself;  none of the other sensors were being picked up, especially the outside temp off of my ISS
5) Nope ... not expecting those features to be migrated to WLIP, other than for the value that would have in enabling the feature for folks who don't have WLL  :)  I have one (now) so i'm all set.

So there you have it... does that explain some of this a little better?   

John

Offline juanboy2k

• John Edelmann
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2020, 08:02:28 AM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

The one with data is from the WLIP...

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2020, 08:13:18 AM »
Quickly on your points:

1. The wlk file situation is what it is - I wouldn't expect it to change, but I guess anything is possible at some future date. One less obvious problem for Davis is that wl.com has become relatively complex because of all the different upload devices and sensors that wl.com has to accommodate. 'One platform to rule them all' has real advantages but it means that there may well be implications and consequences that aren't always easy to foresee for any change in architecture hence the resistance to making changes;

2. What do you have configured for 'Select Anemometer' in the Device Configuration | Advanced Settings option for the ISS channel on your wl.com a/c?

4. That's an fault somehow with your account or configuration - talk to Davis support
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 08:42:00 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline juanboy2k

• John Edelmann
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2020, 08:34:00 AM »
Anemometer type is "VANTAGE PRO2 ISS"   the other option being VANTAGE VUE ISS or 3rd party.... i do only have one of course so "this device" is the only option for the selection.

Offline juanboy2k

• John Edelmann
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2020, 08:43:39 AM »
Correction on my issue with 4 (uploads) .. actually only the WIND is missing .. not surprisingly, just as it is on the smartphone app... hmmm

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2020, 08:44:21 AM »
Anemometer type is "VANTAGE PRO2 ISS"   the other option being VANTAGE VUE ISS or 3rd party.... i do only have one of course so "this device" is the only option for the selection.

I was asking about the 'Select Anemometer' setting ;)
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline juanboy2k

• John Edelmann
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2020, 09:01:50 AM »
Right....it is THIS DEVICE as it's the only option...

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2020, 09:04:59 AM »
Right....it is THIS DEVICE as it's the only option...

Hmm, but you have a supplementary anemometer transmitter - right? Or am I getting confused with someone else's system? Might help if you could list your active channels and associated transmitter types.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2020, 08:22:44 PM »
Just to add a bit more to this, the Jan 1, 2020 rollover apart from the WeatherLink.com upload problem also continuously cycled ISS reception from 100 - 0% every 30 minutes or so and increased data usage by maybe 80% or more.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2020, 03:37:17 AM »
Just to add a bit more to this, the Jan 1, 2020 rollover apart from the WeatherLink.com upload problem also continuously cycled ISS reception from 100 - 0% every 30 minutes or so and increased data usage by maybe 80% or more.

Well, yes. But that was a secondary effect caused by the logger trying to upload too much data as a result of the date issue - while the console is busy with the uploads, I'm guessing it can't be doing other things, which therefore causes an apparent loss of reception.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 12:20:14 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

anything