Author Topic: Ambient WS-2000 No Wifi  (Read 591 times)

Offline Neal

Ambient WS-2000 No Wifi
« on: June 20, 2020, 07:17:08 PM »
I am a newbie and just received my WS-2000 yesterday.  Everything was going fine (wifi was working) and I had everything set up and decided to check for firmware upgrades (should have done this first!).  I upgraded to the latest system firmware (went from 1.6.0 to 1.6.4) and everything worked fine.  I then tried to upgrade the Wifi firmware with my Samsung Galaxy S9+ with the AWnet app (from 4.1.9 to 4.2.4) and it appeared on my smartphone that it was successful, but when I went to the console I had lost my wifi connection.  I checked the wifi firmware version and it is blank.  It appears that it was not successful and the system is no longer recognizing any wifi software.  I tried a factory reset of the console (through the menu, not the recessed button) to see if it would return to the original firmware version and it did not.  I reloaded the system firmware with no fix.  I deleted the AWnet app and reinstalled, but it does not even recognize my system.  Rebooted my modem, no luck.  Help!  Any ideas?  I have googled every permutation of getting the wifi firmware version back, but cannot find an answer.  I was hoping that the USB port on the console could be used, but I see no information other than for maintenance.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Ambient WS-2000 No Wifi
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 07:28:46 PM »
Sound like it went bad with the WiFi firmware. Unfortunately there is no way to go back or to attempt again the WiFi firmware. Try to go back on the Revision firmware to see if it makes a difference. You can find older Revision firmware at this link:

https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/@site.ambientweatherstore.com/ssl/ws2000/
(in this directory user.bin is always the latest version...in this case 1.6.4 today)

Remember to rename these just user.bin in order to install them as that is the only file name that the console will read to flash.

If that doesn't work and try factory reset again after this Revision firmware install, then I think it sounds like it is bricked. You'll have to contact Ambient for a warranty replacement.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 07:30:56 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Neal

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 07:47:47 PM »
I assume that you meant go back to 1.6.0 for the system firmware, which I did.  I was hoping that there was some method to get the wifi firmware.  If I misunderstood, please let me know.  So, I down graded to the system firmware 1.6.0 and no change.  I did a factory reset on the menu and no change.  I think pushed the recessed button on the console and no change.  In checking the software versions, the system firmware did go back to 1.6.0 and the wifi firmware is still blank and obviously no wifi connection.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 08:45:13 PM »
Yes I meant to go back to 1.6.0. Sounds like it is bricked. Contact Ambient for warranty replacement.

One last attempt may be the WS View app to see if that will maybe offer to flash the firmware again or let it complete, but it probably wont work. I never use the awnet app. The WS View app does the same thing even with Ambient hardware.
Tele-Pole

Offline Neal

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 07:21:15 AM »
Thanks Galfert for your replies.  I did try the WS View app as you suggested and no change.  I will call Ambient tomorrow.  Honestly, this seems like a poor design.  I don't understand why they didn't use the flash card to upgrade the wifi firmware just like the console firmware.  I have lost confidence that this will not have on going problems and i will be stuck with a $300 brick as you called it.  I think I will request to return everything for a refund.  Thanks again for your suggestions.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 08:07:22 AM »
In the world of electronics, firmware flashing has notoriously always had risks. This is inherent in all types of devices like routers, smartphones, smart TVs, printers, your name it. This is why they always tell you to not interrupt the flashing process or you end up with a brick. Higher engineered devices, the ones that cost more money, have reduced the risk by being designed with two banks of firmware flash storage. This means that these more expensive devices can often more easily be recovered from a bad flash by never really overwriting the current firmware, but instead they overwrite the two iterations back version and then the current firmware can check if the flash was successful before actually flipping the switch and activating the newly flashed firmware. I'm sorry that you have lost confidence in the product. I hope I can reassure you that this is not a common problem with these devices. I do recommend that whenever you flash firmware that you do so within good range of the device, that your WiFi be current and reliable or upgraded it, that you not flash firmware during a thunderstorm (to mitigate power loss or brown out), that you be patient during the firmware flashing process and never power cycle the device unless you have given it ample time to complete the flashing process, and to use UPS battery backup devices if possible or at least temporarily for flashing.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 02:08:30 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline looney2ns

• http://members.sigecom.net/looney2ns/
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 01:21:11 PM »
Then theirs the adage, if it's not broke, don't fix it. Don't update firmware's just because.

Offline Neal

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 05:00:33 PM »
I agree except that I purchased two of the Ambient leak detectors and the wifi firmware upgrade is needed since these seem to be new products.

Offline Neal

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 05:20:04 PM »
Galfert, I am somewhat replying to you since we were having the conversation about my new WS-2000 several weeks ago.  The reason for the delay is that I have been without the display panel.  To refresh the saga, a day or two after receiving the WS-2000 I upgraded both the console and wifi firmware, which I needed since I had purchased two Ambient leak detectors and the console and wifi firmware upgrades were necessary to use them.  Console upgrade worked fine, wifi firmware with Ambient android app (AWNet) failed and I had no wifi/internet connection.  I called Ambient tech support and besides acting like they hated their job and I was bothering them, they told me there was no fix except to return it for a warranty replacement.  It took 4 days to get a pre-paid UPS shipping label from them, which slowed the entire process.  Ultimately I found an email address (actually in the comment section for the AWNet app) for someone at Ambient and they were extremely responsive and helpful.  I googled the person's name and it says he is the president of Ambient.  He agreed to ship me a new panel before receiving my panel back in Phoenix and they would preload it with the latest and greatest firmware.  They sent it USPS (not UPS) 2 day priority and it took 9 days to arrive.  Not Ambient's fault, but the fault of our US Postal Service.  It arrived today and yes they had installed the latest console firmware, but not the latest wifi firmware.  So, everything works fine except for the two leak detectors which need that wifi firmware upgrade.  I have not attempted that since it failed the last time and it is not urgent that I have the leak detectors operating at the moment.  I have emailed the Ambient executive to ask for his suggestion and waiting to hear.  The comments and reviews of AWNet are really bad and it seems a lot of people have problems with it.  Suggestions are made to do a number of things on your cell phone before attempting the upgrade, which I have not attempted.  If I remember you suggested using a third party app called WS View instead of AWNet.  In summary, I am trying to determine how to proceed with a wifi firmware upgrade.  One option, of course, is don't do it but the two leak detectors are then useless and were a waste of money.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 05:41:48 PM »
Before we go further let us know some more details. These questions may seem irrelevant, but entertain me.

- What mobile device are you using (iOS, Android) model and OS version if you know what they are?
- What brand / model WiFi router?
- What is the current WiFi firmware version on the WS-2000? (WS View shows you that) or on the display itself in the About settings page.
- What is the Revision Firmware version? Look at the displays About settings page.
- What is your LAN network IP address range... Or better yet what is the IP address of the WS-2000? 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x?
- Are you using any WiFi mesh nodes or WiFi extenders?

Tele-Pole

Offline Neal

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 06:09:38 PM »
Samsung Galaxy S9+, Android version 10 software (current version)
I have two wifi/internet options: 1) Frontier DSL Westell 7500 router; 2) Verizon MiFi Jetpack 7730L hotspot
Ambient Wifi firmware version 4.1.9 came on the panel and is currently the version installed
I would like to get to 4.2.4
IP address of the WS-2000 is 192.168.1.187
No wifi mesh nodes or extenders

When I attempted the upgrade several weeks ago and it failed I was on the Frontier DSL wifi and internet connection, which is slow at only about 3 Mbps (no data limits).  The Verizon hotspot is much faster, but has data limits so I don't use it all the time or I would hit my cap with one Netflix movie.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 06:55:48 PM »
Ok good no red flags.
Your WS-2000 console should be connected to your DSL WiFi permanently. I don't think there should be a reason or use the Jetpack Internet for your weather station.

The Samsung Android phone may decide to switch to cellular Internet if the DSL WiFi signal is weak or too slow and not responsive. Therefore I recommend temporarily disabling mobile Internet. There are two good ways to accomplish this. You pick....either remove the SIM card to force mobile to use WiFi or go to Settings /Connections / Mobile Networks / Mobile Data and turn it off.

Temporarily turn off mobile jetpack so that mobile doesn't try and use that.

Put WS-2000 console in the same room as DSL WiFi to ensure good WiFi connectivity. This is temporary. You can move it back later. Be in the same room with the WS-2000 before beginning firmware flash with your mobile. Open WS View app or awnet app and do the firmware update. I think you will be fine.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 06:58:06 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Neal

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 09:30:44 PM »
Thank you for all of your information.  I have not tried it yet, but will let you know when I do.  When I spoke to the president of Ambient he thought it was a fluke that it failed.  It is unfortunate that the only recovery was returning the panel.  He did imply that they are working on a different process for the wifi firmware update.  Maybe I am missing something but it would be nice if they used the micro SD card just like updating the console firmware which seems to work very well.

Offline Neal

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 09:23:14 AM »
Galfert, thanks again for your help.  No, I have not attempted the wifi firmware upgrade yet, but had a couple of questions.  In your last message you recommended turning mobile data off on my android and gave two options.  Isn't another option to go to airplane mode, which also turns off mobile data.  Obviously, I would need to turn wifi on after going to airplane mode since it automatically turns wifi off.  The reason I ask is because I was looking though the comments and reviews of the WS View app and several suggested turn airplane mode on, turn wifi back on and turn wifi calling off before attempting the upgrade.  Your thoughts?  Neal

Offline Neal

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2020, 09:29:47 AM »
Sorry, in my previous post I meant the AWNet app comments and reviews, not the WS View app.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2020, 09:37:02 AM »
Yes, airplane mode is another solution and although simpler there is room for error in that some people may actually turn mobile data back on inadvertently and this may have different results depending on mobile used, as in some cases turning WiFi on in airplane mode also turns mobile data back on (it's rare but it happens). There is actually also a 4th option and that is to go into the mobile data setting and disable switch back to mobile data while connected to WiFi...again this is a weak solution and could result in mobile data connection anyway if WiFi connection was lost. We could go on listing other options... How about putting all three; console, WiFi router, and mobile in a Faraday cage with you in it?  :lol:

awnet or WS View...it is the same thing really. Just has a different name and some cosmetic differences and some limitations on awnet.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 09:43:00 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

anything