Author Topic: Personal Weather Tablet - An Android tablet app to show your GW1000 data  (Read 25148 times)

Offline _John C

• Contributor
You need to contact Da9L and give him your email address that's linked to your google account. He can then add you to the list of testers and then the app will be visible to you in the play store. It will cost you €4.09. But well worth it , it's a great app. I love it.
Ecowitt GW1000CA x2,   HP2551CA,   WH65 Outdoor 7in1 2 arm array,  WH32B Indoor Temp/Hum/Baro, WH45 Co2/PM2.5/PM10,  WH41 PM2.5,   WH57 Lightning Detector,   WH31 Temp/Hum x8,  WN34L Liquid Temp x2,  WN34S Soil Temp x1, WH51 Soil Moisture x8,   WH55 Water Leak x4,   Meteobridge (TL-WR902AC v3),   Da9L PWT x2, Home Assistant Integration

Offline Lighty269

[tup]

Nice work, now I have 4 Tab E I can place around the house.

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
Hi everyone ! New update has just been sent to review on the Play store (Alpha 7). It includes the following changes, some of which are suggestions by users

• Fixed issue where opening the URL selection dialog could crash the app.
  • Fixed issue where dashboard color would not reset to default when alert conditions were no longer met for selected extra sensors in Row 2
  • Fixed clock not showing time correctly on older devices running 24 hour time format
  • Fixed missing text styling for older devices
  • Fixed issue where selecting to have battery alerts without any custom alerts created would crash the app and make it unable to open
  • Made all sensors optional: An attempt at making the app crash less if your configuration is missing some sensors
  • Changed text size for extra sensors and clock
  • Alligned Barometer text
  • Added ability to control Screen On/Off time (requires new permissions!)
  • Added ability to set custom Tendency settings
  • Updated default Tendency parameters
  • Other smaller changes (Typos, text allignment, etc.)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

There are still some issues with unknown sensors i think. I've made an attempt at fixing this, but untill i get my own sensors (namely WH57), this will have to wait untill then, if this version doesn't fix that
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 04:20:31 PM by Da9L »

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
Am I able to be part of the testing please?  :grin:

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
Am I able to be part of the testing please?  :grin:

Hi and Yes! :D Just send me your google account email that you use on the tablet you wish to test it on, and i can add you to the alpha testing list :)

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
Can't find it in play store yet. Any news about release date?

I think i might release it soon. The reason you cant find it is because its limited to a testing group right now. I want it to be at least stable enough before i release it to everyone.  :-)

Offline K5GHS

• K5GHS's Website
Agreed.  Can't find it either.
Joshua
K5GHS
http://www.k5ghs.radio

Collin County, TX  Grid: EM13qd  CWOP: AV590
Skywarn Repeaters:  147.180 Primary 146.740 Secondary
100% Emergency Powered Ham Radio Station (540AH Batteries/Solar Rechargeable)
Ambient Weather WS-2000
Ecowitt GW1000

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
Another update is now awaiting approval ( Alpha 9 ). This one mainly focuses on some bugs, but there are also a few new things to find:

• Two new themes: Light and HP2551 inspired
  • App now ready for translations; added Danish translation
  • Changed Screen On/Off timer, to Screen Dim/Bright instead, due to issues.
  • Updated alerts dialog, to also tell when the alert ended
  • New attempt at fix for users who has a WH57, which prevented the app from recieving updates.
  • Fixed spelling mistakes
  • More validation
  • Performance improvements, code cleanup
  • Small bugfixes
  • Calibrated default Tendency values

I've decided not to take any more testers in. The app will be released soon enough anyway :)

« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 05:58:04 PM by Da9L »

Offline _John C

• Contributor
"New attempt at fix for users who has a WH57, which prevented the app from recieving updates."

This fix worked, I have the WH57 re-enabled in the GW1000 and the app is receiving updates from the GW1000  [tup]

UU
Ecowitt GW1000CA x2,   HP2551CA,   WH65 Outdoor 7in1 2 arm array,  WH32B Indoor Temp/Hum/Baro, WH45 Co2/PM2.5/PM10,  WH41 PM2.5,   WH57 Lightning Detector,   WH31 Temp/Hum x8,  WN34L Liquid Temp x2,  WN34S Soil Temp x1, WH51 Soil Moisture x8,   WH55 Water Leak x4,   Meteobridge (TL-WR902AC v3),   Da9L PWT x2, Home Assistant Integration

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
"New attempt at fix for users who has a WH57, which prevented the app from recieving updates."

This fix worked, I have the WH57 re-enabled in the GW1000 and the app is receiving updates from the GW1000  [tup]

UU

Thanks to olicat, which gave me some insight in what was going on :D. Glad it works!

Offline olicat

• Forecaster
  • GWxx00, HPx5x1C, WN1900C, WN1980C & WS3800C
    • FOSHKplugin
You are welcome!
So when is the public release?
;-)

Oliver

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
All working well on my end now.
I meant to ask, are the logs being stored on internal memory of the tablet or is there an option to choose SD card?
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
You are welcome!
So when is the public release?
;-)

Oliver

If everything is ok now, i think i will make the next version public :-)

All working well on my end now.
I meant to ask, are the logs being stored on internal memory of the tablet or is there an option to choose SD card?

Thats a good idea haven't thought of that. Currently its all being stored internally (/data/data/today.cba.gw1000/databases) .. There should be an option to store this on an SD card in case of the tablet breaking down so that you don't lose your data. It is also stored in a plain old SQLite database, so reading it with whatever editor you like on a windows PC is no hassle once you have the file.

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
That's great if you can provide an option to store on SD card as my old tablet is really short on internal memory and I have tons spare on the card!

If possible I would also like to see the colours enhanced on the themes. I find the current options a bit muted even at max brightness. That would really enhance the app.

Once again, well done!
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
That's great if you can provide an option to store on SD card as my old tablet is really short on internal memory and I have tons spare on the card!

If possible I would also like to see the colours enhanced on the themes. I find the current options a bit muted even at max brightness. That would really enhance the app.

Once again, well done!

I will add some stronger editions of the existing colors in the customizable part of the theme tab.. I will also add a high contrast version of the two black / green themes :) I tried making some high contrast versions of the other themes, but they looked hideous and I'm not good at that stuff :lol: So for now i will provide some colors to work with and if anything really nice turns up from users i can add them as permanent themes.

Offline Da9L

• Contributor

I've been looking into this tonight, and it turns out, quite surprisingly to me really, that this is actually not possible on Android before KitKat in any normal and best practice way.. There simply isn't anything in the SDK that lets me store anything on the SD card. I looked into other ways of doing it, but no matter how I've tried to force it, it wont give me access to do it. I could try some other obscure ways, but honestly, i don't feel like it can be made good enough.

I will say though, that the application is made so that it only stores 7 days back in time as default. All data before that is cleared, so that each day only takes up a single row in the database with min/max values.. If you have the default 16 seconds pr update you really shouldn't have any trouble. My test tablet, have been running with the app non stop and has data as far back as the beginning of may, and it currently takes up 8 mb.

I would have loved to have the option for external storage really, and it probably is possible in some obscure way on Android < 4.4 (its rather easy to implement on newer devices though)

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
OK, no problem, understand the limitations.
Just would be nice in the future I guess to keep more than 7 days so that you can graph the data etc.
It was the sort of development I was hoping would be added, but if Android is not playing ball then that's not your fault!
Still loving your work and very happy with the current state.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
OK, no problem, understand the limitations.
Just would be nice in the future I guess to keep more than 7 days so that you can graph the data etc.
It was the sort of development I was hoping would be added, but if Android is not playing ball then that's not your fault!
Still loving your work and very happy with the current state.

Thanks! I will be investigating it further at a later point though, because i actually want this functionality my self too.  :-)

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
The app is now released in the first public version making it version 1.0 ! (Theres a version 1.0.1 on its way with a mistake on the alert creation screen with a label that says "Alert name" where it should say sensor)

• First public release!
  • Small update to scaling on some devices
  • Fixed a String retrieval mistake on the About tab
  • Added option to use the old way of handling WebViews
  • 5 new themes, of which 3 is high contrast versions of existing ones and two new: Dark and Dark Colorful
  • Added high contrast color options to theming for existing colors
  • Fixed a bug in the alert system, which would throw backend errors on battery alerts
  • other smaller bug fixes

« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 08:04:17 AM by Da9L »

Offline LazyDogFarms

I see your app on the Google Play Store now and plan to purchase once I receive my new Ecowitt weather station which should arrive by next Friday.

My plan is to use a Motorola Xoom tablet that I haven't used in a few years as a dedicated weather tablet with your app.  It runs Android 4.1.2.  Will your app continue to support that Android version?  Some apps when updated stop working with that Android version and I'd hate to purchase the app and have it no longer work when updated in the future.

Thanks!

Offline Shvedi

I see your app on the Google Play Store now and plan to purchase once I receive my new Ecowitt weather station which should arrive by next Friday.

My plan is to use a Motorola Xoom tablet that I haven't used in a few years as a dedicated weather tablet with your app.  It runs Android 4.1.2.  Will your app continue to support that Android version?  Some apps when updated stop working with that Android version and I'd hate to purchase the app and have it no longer work when updated in the future.

Thanks!
Same Question - Nexus 7 with Android 5.1.1 .

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
For any Android app on the Google Play Store you can scroll down to the the app's Additional Information and see the requirements and details.
As it stands today the app says: Requires Android 4.0 and up but at any point the developer may change their mind and make the requirement be a newer version of Android. The developer would do this in order to provide a feature that requires a newer development platform in order to implement the added feature. The feature could be stability or performance or even a newer database engine. In other words the new feature may be something that isn't that tangible to the user. The new feature may also be something like facilitating the cross platform portability of the app in order to support iOS.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 11:27:04 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline LazyDogFarms

For any Android app on the Google Play Store you can scroll down to the the app's Additional Information and see the requirements and details.
As it stands today the app says: Requires Android 4.0 and up but at any point the developer may change their mind and make the requirement be a newer version of Android. The developer would do this in order to provide a feature that requires a newer development platform in order to implement the added feature. The feature could be stability or performance or even a newer database engine. In other words the new feature may be something that isn't that tangible to the user. The new feature may also be something like facilitating the cross platform portability of the app in order to support iOS.

Thanks.  I'm familiar with that which is why I wanted to inquire of the developer whether he plans for the app to continue to be supported on Android 4.0, particularly since this is a brand new app and it is likely the OP will be continuing to tweak and work on it in the near future.  If he is planning on making changes in the next few months that would necessitate Android 5.0 or up, it wouldn't make sense for me to purchase it for use on the Motorola Xoom.

Offline djkkm

Nice work on the app - really like the new themes! I never really used my Fire tablet very much - so thanks for giving me a good reason to use it daily.

Devin
Ecowitt GW1000
+ WH31 + WH32 + WH40
+ WH51 + WH57 + WS68
PWSweather: KALMOBIL210
Wunderground: KALMOBIL210

Offline Da9L

• Contributor

Thanks.  I'm familiar with that which is why I wanted to inquire of the developer whether he plans for the app to continue to be supported on Android 4.0, particularly since this is a brand new app and it is likely the OP will be continuing to tweak and work on it in the near future.  If he is planning on making changes in the next few months that would necessitate Android 5.0 or up, it wouldn't make sense for me to purchase it for use on the Motorola Xoom.

The plan has always been to support as old Android as possible. I have no plans on dropping Android 4 support (in fact it first supported Android 6 and upwards, but actively worked on making it compatible with Android 4 and upwards).

The reason is that the main goal for the app was to make use of the unused tablets people have had laying around, which usually were running old versions of Android.

I my self have 2 tablets i test with. One with Android 6 and one with Android 4.1 .. I will say however that the one with Android 4.1 is struggling to run the app smoothly. The tablet is from when Android 4.1 was new, but it was a really cheap one even back then. So if the tablet you have was a good one of its time, it will probably run fine. If it was slow one back then too, then it might struggle a bit.. You do have 2 hours to try it out though with full refund (Google Play policy)

anything