Author Topic: Lightning detector  (Read 32084 times)

Offline mark014

• Weather conditions in Ślesin (Poland)
Re: Lightning detector
« Reply #250 on: June 17, 2020, 05:52:04 AM »
So far PWS-Dashboard seems to be the only solutution to summarize the GW1000/DP1500 Data, including external Sensors at one place (except an non public ecowitt.net account)

As I said, Meteotemplate has plugins to show data from PM2.5 and soil sensor as well as additional temp/humidity sensor. The only missing thing is to present lightnings but I know that this module is being refined soon. Here it is my website on Meteotemplate with extra sensor readings http://pogodaslesin.beep.pl/template/indexDesktop.php
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 10:06:46 AM by mark014 »

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #251 on: June 17, 2020, 10:53:25 AM »
Lightning detector doing overtime today! Although I haven't heard any, it's detecting discharges from cells to my North and Northwest. I'd advise anyone with a detector to mount it outside, somewhere high, but not out of reach for maintenance.

Offline kenthcwx

• Contributor
    • Twitter Account
« Reply #252 on: June 17, 2020, 12:45:56 PM »
Froggit WH4000
MeteoShield Professional
Ecowitt WH32-EP
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt WH40
Ecowitt WN30
Ecowitt GW1000

Offline Laephis

« Reply #253 on: June 19, 2020, 05:54:37 PM »
Agreed that this would be a nice addition, however the feedback I have is at this time Ecowitt prefer not to add sound based alerts back to the Console firmware.
The route that they have taken is to use Ecowitt.net where you can set e-mail alerts for strike counts or distance.
I know its not quite the same thing but that's the decision for now.
They will revisit this in the future.

I just got my Ecowitt lightning sensor and it's showing up on the Ecowitt.net website, but when I try to turn on email alerts, there is no option to select the lightning sensor from the drop down.  I have a long list of temp, humidity, and wind options, but that's it.  Am I looking in the wrong spot?  Using an HP3501.  (Checked the LCD console and there wasn't a lightning option that I could see, either.)

Edit - looks like it had to have some data before the option to set an alert showed up.  Strange, but I'll take it. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 07:09:51 PM by Laephis »

Offline mdtoro

« Reply #254 on: June 20, 2020, 04:22:19 PM »
My first detector was bad.  Triggering all the time.  I had it set to Outdoor, Long Antenna.  Tried all the sensitivity settings but kept on triggering.

Just got a replacement. Great service from Ecowitt.  Confusing as to why the switches are all set to up when shipped.  The implication is all up is the default, but that contradicts the manual.

Hopefully, this one will work correctly.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 04:58:43 PM by mdtoro »
Gaithersburg MD

HP2551-C Display
GW1004  Gateway
WH40  Rain Guage
WH41  Air Quality
WS68 Anemometer
WH57 Lightning Detection
WH32 Outdoor Temp and Humidity
WH51 Soil Mosture
WH55 Water Leak

Offline TehWoopig

« Reply #255 on: June 21, 2020, 01:51:29 PM »
I've had mine for a week now and I've had several storms come through, with strikes well within 40k and I'm not picking up a single strike. I've tried indoor and high. Outdoor and high. Inside my house, outside my house. In the attic. Not sure if his unit is just defective.

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
« Reply #256 on: June 22, 2020, 06:57:35 PM »
Well, I had a storm come through tonight, rather fierce , and lengthy.

Recorded 429 strikes.

Its actually a believable number for this type of storm and the area.

Now I just wish it actually recorded the "minimum" strike distance

Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000
  WS90 (other one) + GW1100
Personal Sites: Weather Cam

Offline TehWoopig

« Reply #257 on: June 22, 2020, 06:59:44 PM »
I ordered another one from Amazon. Mine is definitely defective. I had hundreds, if not over 1,000 strikes today inside of 25 miles and I only recorded 3.

Offline mdtoro

« Reply #258 on: June 23, 2020, 09:26:58 AM »
My new one is working much better.  Storm went through last night and I saw over 2000 strikes.  Weather on our local news was showing tons of strikes so I think this is close.  Today I see 3 false positives so far.  I have it set to indoors and the default sensitivity.  I will reduce the sensitivity.  Anyone know the difference between Indoor default sensitivity and outdoor low sensitivity?  Or the difference between default and high sensitivity?

My first one must have been a very early model.  Had a lightening bolt on the front but still said Temp, Humidity sensor.  New one has the lightening bolt and the writing for lightening.

Old: [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 04:24:10 PM by mdtoro »
Gaithersburg MD

HP2551-C Display
GW1004  Gateway
WH40  Rain Guage
WH41  Air Quality
WS68 Anemometer
WH57 Lightning Detection
WH51 Soil Mosture
WH55 Water Leak

Offline PeterH

« Reply #259 on: June 27, 2020, 09:00:42 AM »
I have my lightning detector places on the attic.
High sensitivity and indoor settings. It picks up strikes that are over 40 kms away.
Although the distance is false most of the time.

Much storms in the area today.
So a lot of lightning picking up bij the detector.

Should i change it to medium sensitivity. So it doesn't pick up strikes that are over 40 km away.

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #260 on: June 27, 2020, 09:03:10 AM »
High sensitivity and indoor settings. It picks up strikes that are over 40 kms away.

Should i change it to medium sensitivity. So it doesn't pick up strikes that are over 40 km away.

I have had the same kind of issue.

Storms were firing across France two days ago and I was picking up strikes around 110KM's away. I know they're not false positives as there was a lot of electrical activity. However, it registers the strikes at around 15 - 20 miles away, which is a tad misleading.

Offline PeterH

« Reply #261 on: June 27, 2020, 09:26:17 AM »

I have had the same kind of issue.

Storms were firing across France two days ago and I was picking up strikes around 110KM's away. I know they're not false positives as there was a lot of electrical activity. However, it registers the strikes at around 15 - 20 miles away, which is a tad misleading.

Hi Mapantz

Which settings do you have on your lightning sensor?
High sens + indoor?

I think im gonna try medium sensitivity, and see how that works out.

Offline Lighty269

« Reply #262 on: June 27, 2020, 12:57:20 PM »
Finally arrived, took 79 days, but of course I am out of town.  My wife says she will set it up.  Looking forward to see how it works.

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #263 on: June 27, 2020, 02:37:13 PM »
I have concluded that the sensors are slightly directional from my tests.
My location is not great for southerly lightning as I have a hillside climbing above my location for another 50-100 metres
To my North is great as I am on the side of the North Downs and means I can see right across London and towards the Chiltern Hills
So for me it all depends on the location of the storms though I have detected strikes to my south so it is possible.

In Mapantz case I know that the location is coastal and so it does not surprise me that the detector 'sees' lighting on the French coast that is fairly normal for medium wave broadcasts that the lightning sensor is tuned for. You can easily double radio range over a stretch of sea especially if high pressure is about.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline casacota

• Observatori de Sant Martí de Canals
« Reply #264 on: June 29, 2020, 03:28:00 AM »
After several thunderstorms, detector under a wooden roof, default settings, indoor switch, working perfectly and very accurate. Incredible features for that price.

Offline mdtoro

« Reply #265 on: June 29, 2020, 04:04:21 PM »
My new one is working very well with the indoor setting and default sensitivity. Unit is placed in a second floor bedroom window. When I asked Lucy, AKA Ecowitt, they said default sensitivity is between high and medium.

Still not clear what the outdoors setting does but during my single outdoor test it seemed like the outdoor setting picked up more noise/false positives.  Would need to do more testing to be sure but I'm happy with Indoors/default sensitivity.

Gaithersburg MD

HP2551-C Display
GW1004  Gateway
WH40  Rain Guage
WH41  Air Quality
WS68 Anemometer
WH57 Lightning Detection
WH51 Soil Mosture
WH55 Water Leak

Offline ronald001

« Reply #266 on: July 01, 2020, 07:12:54 PM »
I've had my Lightning Sensor from Ecowitt (Mine was shipped from China, but now available on Amazon (US)), for about two weeks now.  I left the settings as factory default and placed it on a table indoors next to my sliding doors leading onto my balcony (Balcony is approximately 12 feet off the ground and faces East and our storms usually come from the Southwest).  My house is in a valley and so far the sensor looks like it is running perfectly!  Here are my results so far:  Zero false hits; Largest distance has been 37 KM or 23 miles; the closest strike has been 1.6 KM or 1 mile.  Fingers crossed!

Ron

Offline Lighty269

« Reply #267 on: July 01, 2020, 07:57:08 PM »
Mine has only showed 1 hit, I will be home this weekend to check the settings.  I think I need to move it outside.  I had the house remodeled and I do remember adding insulation to the siding that had a foil, so basically it is a ferridite cage.

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #268 on: July 01, 2020, 08:09:28 PM »
That foil may not be ferrous. Maybe take a magnet to check.

Rich K.
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline _John C

• Contributor
« Reply #269 on: July 01, 2020, 08:30:01 PM »
That foil may not be ferrous. Maybe take a magnet to check.

Rich K.

It doesn't have to be ferrous to block / interfere / attenuate radio signals. Aluminium will also do a great job of blocking / interfering / attenuating radio signals.
Once the material is electrically conductive; it will cause all of the above.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 08:32:52 PM by _John C »
Ecowitt GW1000CA x2,   HP2551CA,   WH65 Outdoor 7in1 2 arm array,  WH32B Indoor Temp/Hum/Baro, WH45 Co2/PM2.5/PM10,  WH41 PM2.5,   WH57 Lightning Detector,   WH31 Temp/Hum x8,  WN34L Liquid Temp x2,  WN34S Soil Temp x1, WH51 Soil Moisture x8,   WH55 Water Leak x4,   Meteobridge (TL-WR902AC v3),   Da9L PWT x2, Home Assistant Integration

Offline funsutton

• Contributor
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #270 on: July 09, 2020, 12:33:11 AM »
I just got my ambient sensor today and put it outside, hanging under my deck, a little over 3 feet from the ground. It's inside a 2 inch PVC pipe with holes in it for ventilation and a cap on top.

I set it for outdoors and left the sensitivity in the default position.

Is there any guidance that says the sensor needs to be higher in terms of reception? The higher the better?

Also I live in a 2 story house and wonder if it will pose any interference problems, considering my sensor is essentially near the bottom of the back side of the house? I could put it inside on the window or wall upstairs, but I did see they recommend to put it outside.

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #271 on: July 09, 2020, 03:26:15 AM »
Its a radio receiver in effect and its looking for the burst of static generated by Lightning.
In my experience in testing the higher that you place it the better the range in detection and so on.
I have not suffered from false positives and have my sensor set to maximum sensitivity and outside mode.
I keep mine inside but hanging from the inside roof apex (loft space) of my home, so its as high as I can get it.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline funsutton

• Contributor
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #272 on: July 09, 2020, 12:38:06 PM »
Its a radio receiver in effect and its looking for the burst of static generated by Lightning.
In my experience in testing the higher that you place it the better the range in detection and so on.
I have not suffered from false positives and have my sensor set to maximum sensitivity and outside mode.
I keep mine inside but hanging from the inside roof apex (loft space) of my home, so its as high as I can get it.

So it sounds like if you were me you'd rather have it high in the home, in a window or on an exterior wall rather than near the bottom side of the deck outside.

I do have an attic with access to the bottom side of the roof, but it's not climate controlled so I was a bit worried about the heat affecting the sensor long term.

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #273 on: July 09, 2020, 12:47:15 PM »
Yes, my loft space can be very cold in winter and ferocious in summer, but I have not seen any issue in my sensor so far!

I would be cautious of placing by a window as many windows will have metal components (even PVC windows have steel frames) and you may have a metal lintel over the window. These would all have some degree of impact on the receiver. Walls if brick will have steel ties in them between the cavity etc

So if you can place it in your roof space which will mostly be wood and perhaps clay tiles (unless you have a metal roof which is not common) this should give you a fairly good chance at detection.

Failing that then on the porch as you suggest will also work but you may find that the house screens you from detections further away in that direction.
No solution is perfect. I have noticed that storms to my South are not so well detected but then I have a chain of downland  rising above my house made of chalk and sandstone/Iron stone.
The perfect solution would be up a mast 100 feet above surroundings and you'd probably be in luck in attracting the lightning in then!
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline K7RMK

• East Wilson Weather
« Reply #274 on: July 13, 2020, 12:39:50 PM »
I have been getting what I think are false positives with my lightning detector. I have tried placing it in a RS-00001 radiation shield in the middle of my backyard, on the front porch, and inside my house. I have the settings set to Outdoor, Long Antenna, and I have tried Sensitivity Default, Mid, and Low. The results are all the same. I am getting lightning strikes showing up consistently 15-17 miles away throughout the last few days of testing. The weather these last few days has been sunny with humidity well below 80% except at night. Do I have a faulty unit? Or am I picking up something in my area that is setting it off that isn't lightning?
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Ecowitt GW2000 + Meteobridge on RPI 4B
Ecowitt HP2551-C Display Console
Ecowitt WH32-EP Outdoor Temp/Humidity Sensor + MeteoShield Pro Radiation Shield
Ecowitt WS68 Anemometer
Ecowitt WH40 Rain Gauge
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 Outdoor PM2.5 Air Quality Sensor
Ecowitt WH43 Indoor PM2.5 Air Quality Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 x4 Temp/Humidity Sensors
Ecowitt WH51 Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH34S Soil Temperature Sensor