Author Topic: VP2 raingauge query  (Read 836 times)

Offline PraveenC31

VP2 raingauge query
« on: October 08, 2019, 01:50:47 AM »
Hi,

For those who have installed VP2 on a pole, with the rain gauge say half down the pole and anemometer top of the pole, doesn't the pole block the rain falling into the rain gauge ?

I own a vue and this is just a curiosity question

Regards,
Praveen

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: VP2 raingauge query
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 02:21:04 AM »
doesn't the pole block the rain falling into the rain gauge ?
In a perfect world, no, that's not the way to go. With that, it probably has little effect in the "big scheme" of tippers.

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 03:32:13 PM »
Hi,

For those who have installed VP2 on a pole, with the rain gauge say half down the pole and anemometer top of the pole, doesn't the pole block the rain falling into the rain gauge ?

I own a vue and this is just a curiosity question

Regards,
Praveen

The 2005 CWOP siting guidelines say that nothing should be closer to the rain gauge than half of the height difference of that thing and the top of the gauge. Picture an inverted cone around the rain gauge opening upward with a 2:1 slope.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

That being said, a lot of people do mount everything on one pole. It depends on what your situation and limitations are.

Rich K.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 03:33:55 PM by havtrail »
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 04:03:20 PM »
I personally didn't like putting everything on same pole for several reasons.  I was always worried about the obstruction also. My solution was to mount a standalone gauge nearby at about 3' off the ground and just mothball the other gauge. 
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 04:22:37 PM »
I personally didn't like putting everything on same pole for several reasons.  I was always worried about the obstruction also. My solution was to mount a standalone gauge nearby at about 3' off the ground and just mothball the other gauge.
Yes, and thanks to your wonderful advice on a case fan and also hard wiring the RW 111 into the ISS, I completely removed the bucket and tipping mechanism and 24hr solar panel from the ISS and now only have the transmitter and radiation shield. Very clean look too, I might add. [tup]

Offline klschmidt

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 02:29:15 PM »
I'd like some ideas on what to do with the old gauge. Left intact, birds will plug the collector. I don't really like the idea of a collector full of water sitting directly above the temp/humidity sensor. Should this water happen to be released at a later date, temp/humidity accuracy could be affected. Removing the cone looks somewhat unsightly. Building a bracket to hold both the sensor shield and the ISS transmitter looks complicated.

Offline racer3

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 02:46:53 PM »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 02:51:19 PM »

I'd like some ideas on what to do with the old gauge. Left intact, birds will plug the collector. I don't really like the idea of a collector full of water sitting directly above the temp/humidity sensor. Should this water happen to be released at a later date, temp/humidity accuracy could be affected. Removing the cone looks somewhat unsightly. Building a bracket to hold both the sensor shield and the ISS transmitter looks complicated.

You can always cover the rain gauge with a material of choice and secure it.  I saw a post some years ago where this was used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MURNOY/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or just one of the large ice cream buckets will work, secured however you choose. 
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 03:14:09 PM »
Removing the cone looks somewhat unsightly.
Obviously personal taste, but I like the look without the bucket and tipping mechanism. No need to reinvent the wheel here, either cover it or remove it.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 03:22:50 PM »
 :idea: Also, someone was making a vinyl type cover if I remember and selling on this site. Many do cover the rain gauge in winter where it snows. So many things out there that will work.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 03:34:20 PM »
So many things out there that will work.
May look dumb, but all I use to cover my RW bucket is a stove pot lid turned upside down with a big rock on top... :roll:

Offline klschmidt

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 03:57:38 PM »
I hadn't noticed the little clips that hold the whole tipping bucket/reed switch assembly onto the base. Something about seeing the tipping mechanism out in the weather made it look broken. It looks ok with all removed. Thanks for the ideas!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 04:53:14 PM »
I hadn't noticed the little clips that hold the whole tipping bucket/reed switch assembly onto the base. Something about seeing the tipping mechanism out in the weather made it look broken. It looks ok with all removed. Thanks for the ideas!
No wonder you thought it looked awkward with the spoons out flailing around... :-)

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 12:53:22 PM »
I have two stations on a TV tower, one at 1/3rd the way up the tower (6 feet) and the other at the top of the tower (15 feet) and the one on bottom does frequently record less rainfall due to tower interference.  I'm about to move it up to the top of the tower also.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

anything